Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM

30 posts, read 81,508 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a house in Goodyear or Litchfield Park and I want a pool for sure... I'm looking for opinions on whether I should buy a house with a pool for convenience or a house without a pool since there will be more options.

How much is a "good" sized (not sure what i mean but not a play pool) pool?

How difficult is it to get financed for a pool? Any serious input is welcome...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,836 times
depends on what you want, my neighbors have no pool and seem okay with it, my other neighbors have one and are in it all the time. We have one and hardly use it, but it is nice to have. I think a play pool is not a diving pool. We have a diving pool. You have to think of pool cleaning, upkeep of it, pump, etc, then you have to figure out how much you will use it. Good luck to you.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,476 times
I like the lap pools.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM

289 posts, read 750,920 times
You are better buying with the pool already in. There is not that much difference in the pricing of a house with a pool and one without a pool.

Then, if there are existing houses all around you it makes excavating a much slower and costlier process. Although you do get exactly what you want that way.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:31 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,227 times
I am a fitness swimmer and 99.999% of the time I swim in an olympic-sized pool with lanes. I would be wasting my money on having my own pool since I get enough pool water every week!

The advantage of your own pool: You control what goes in it. Chemicals or "biological accidents." Public pools for playing + kids = potential for biological hazards in the pool. I stay away from them.

The disadvantage like the earlier poster said, is the upkeep. But also what if you are away from home? Would you worry that a neighborhood kid would climb over the fence and drown in your pool, and his parents sue you? My parents had a backyard pool many years ago. They required the parents' of the neighborhood kids to sign a note relieving my parents of any liability should one of their kids get hurt in my parents' pool.

If I had my own pool, it would be an indoor lap pool that is kid-proof from getting in.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:36 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
I don't think OP is asking for pros and cons of owning a pool, just whether to buy a house with one already there or to build. You would save a good deal of money buying with one already there, but you cut down the number of homes that meet your criteria when you are looking and you have to take the features it has. I would really, really, try to find a house with a pool you like first.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't think OP is asking for pros and cons of owning a pool, just whether to buy a house with one already there or to build. You would save a good deal of money buying with one already there, but you cut down the number of homes that meet your criteria when you are looking and you have to take the features it has. I would really, really, try to find a house with a pool you like first.
I'd second that recommendation.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
I'll third that one. Much better and cheaper to find a house you like with an existing pool.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 PM

30 posts, read 81,508 times
Thanks everyone. Yes, I have already decided that I am going to have a pool but couldn't decide whether to buy with or without and add later. I think I am leaning towards buying with as long as I can find a home that meets the rest of my criteria.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM

70 posts, read 209,677 times
with the prices of homes today......If I were you I'd look for the house that I want to call home whether or not it has a pool or not...then have the pool I want built in the backyard of the home I love the best....if it doesn't already have one........today you could build a nice pool fro 24K on up getting one with a spa fo the 40k range. so if you find a home you really like without a pool that's worth 60k more then what you paid I'd opt to build a pool and have exactly what I want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area