Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:20 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times

Advertisements

Shade people! I havn't burned my hands or anything else in the car this summer and as long as you park in the shade, then the AC has no problem keeping up and it's not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 12:24 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Shade people! I havn't burned my hands or anything else in the car this summer and as long as you park in the shade, then the AC has no problem keeping up and it's not that bad.
I was thinking the same thing. I try to find some shade or a covered parking space or something (if I know I'll be parking for a long time). If you do that then it's so not bad at all.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
Yea, I usually try to find a spot with shade, even if it means parking further. I would rather walk in the heat for an extra 15-30 seconds then to suffer with a burning steering wheel and seats (leather) and an interior that is probably 150 degrees. When it gets that hot in the car, the AC usually cannot cool it down for 10 minutes or so.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:00 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NezzaBlue View Post
Having just moved here in May from Connecticut, I am curious to see what people's thoughts on "winter" are. What kind of temps can we expect? I live in the Awahtukee area.

I have a fireplace in my house, and I am wondering if I will ever be able to use it...LOL

Oh yea and this monsoon season, it's only rained a couple times. It this really classified as a monsoon? I didn't see much difference from back home other than the dust.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Good, as well as funny, question, NezzaBlue

Once your blood "thins" you will freeze your butt off once the temperature drops below 60 degrees, maybe sooner.

Here in Tucson (usually a little cooler year 'round) we have nights in the teens and every once in a while single digits. Fireplaces are great to have and I bet you'll grow to use yours more than you think. Being on the lazy side, I had mine converted to gas and use it almost daily in the Winter.

As for the monsoons . . . the average rainfall runs about 6 or 8 inches per year and I believe we are a little above that so far.

I hope this helps a little!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
It really depends on where you live in the valley. The above post is fairly accurate. Though last winter it got down to 17 degrees in the NW part of the valley. The outlying areas get much colder than the built up urban centers.
Winters in AZ are like the summers elsewhere in the country, mild to warm temps daily and generally 30-40's late night/early am on the average. That's why so many winter visitors and part time homeowners come to the Phoenix Metro area.
Temperatures are generally not in the 30s or 40s in at least 95 percent of the continental United States at any point of the day during summer.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Temperatures are generally not in the 30s or 40s in at least 95 percent of the continental United States at any point of the day during summer.
I believe he was talking about nights. This week as a matter of fact there are lows in the 40's in Vermont and other parts of New England. Re-read the post you quoted.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 PM

77 posts, read 229,939 times
Default my thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont know anywhere that has summer lows in the 30-40s. Summer night temps here are usually in the 60s and 70s, sometimes 80s, and Im pretty far north.
no summer I ever had got that cold at night, whats Alaska like it in the summer? lol

Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NezzaBlue View Post
Excellent feedback, Thanks to you all.

For some reason I thought it might have gotten a little colder than that, but it is the desert after all.

I definetely wont miss the snow...
Getting in your car at 8 am in the morning, after it just took you an hour to dig it out, and then getting in it hoping to warm up only to find that the seats, steering wheel, and your hands are all pretty much frozen. LOL

I will miss the smell in the fall though, with the leaves and cool breezes.
And I think I will use my fireplace, on Christmas.

Oh that brings back bad memories, snow, ice, shoveling, frozen fingers, numb toes........yuk!

I had a woodburning fireplace and I used it, even if we had to open the door a little and get some fresh air. I started putting it on the end of October, probably 80 degrees outside too

I loved the Fall and I love the leaves changing and I missed it dearly. I doubt I will get any of that in Myrtle Beach either. Oh well, you take the good with the bad.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:33 PM

181 posts, read 1,076,749 times
My first winter here, I was swimming on Christmas day. Now I'm the first one with a jacket on in October.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:48 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ91 View Post
My first winter here, I was swimming on Christmas day. Now I'm the first one with a jacket on in October.
Yep, I was swimming in Feb when I first moved to Phoenix and I couldn't figure out why no one was at the pool. As my blood thinned I could not swim till the end of June or unless my water temp hit 85 and not much past Sept
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area