Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 PM

89 posts, read 269,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakijy View Post
In Chicago there are hot muggy summers with tons of mosquitoes; before I moved to Scottsdale I remarked to my wife that I can't even sit outside and read a book. Well, I certainly can do that out here. I can also get around much easier. Starting a business is easier here and there is much more of a wide open feel, conversely, you don't have the excitement of the downtown crowds and buildings, or the lakefront. Actually I find people more friendly here by 56th St & Bell, and on my walk to the park, most people say hi. In Chicago you don't acknowledge other people unless you want to 'hit' on them.
I kind of miss the Chicago autumns, but not the face-freezing winters, and busted water pipes. I remember splashing around in a crawlspace in Barrington in the winter, with pipes gushing water. My houses in Chicago and Skokie always flooded. I have a feeling that if I moved back to Chicago, I would be wanting to move back here. Who knows - wherever you go there are gripes.
Another great post!...I'm from WI but lived in Minneapolis, MN for quite some time to attend college and for post college employment. I moved to AZ for eight years but had a job transfer back to Minneapolis in July of 03. Almost immediately I had this "what did I just do?" attitude. It took me three years to be in the position to move back to AZ and I've been here for almost three years now. There is no way I'll ever make the mistake of leaving the SW again...

Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 AM

235 posts, read 756,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Hey all:

I dont want to start a riot here, but after having lived in Phoenix for 3 years, I felt like it was a big mistake, so I wanted to warn people that might be thinking about moving to Phoenix. When I first visited Phoenix, it was kinda neat, the palm trees, the desert etc, but when you actually move there, it is a different story. The heat, it does not matter how much ppl try to say that it is a "dry heat", it is just horrendous! I am currently living in Minnesota and not even a -15 F winter day in Minnesota is worse than a 115 F day in Phoenix. Because Phoenix is mostly a transplant town, it is a place with no culture! People dont say hi, how are you or good morning, and try saying Hi to people, many will look at you like you are out of your mind. It is a very plastic place, men made lakes and very superficial people. If you go to the "upscale" areas like Scottsdale, it is mostly 30K millionaires with leased BMW's trying to impress you with their mindless talk. Also, Phoenix similarly to Vegas is a "crap magnet", for whatever reason, all the trash from the South goes to Phoenix, thinking that they are going to strike gold, this migration only creates an underclass of homeless people, strippers, white supremacists,criminals, shady people, drug dealers, meth addicts, white trash etc! It is just horrible!! I dont know how the economy is now, but a few years ago, it was very weak, even jobs with the state of Arizona paid 9-10 dollars/hr, terrible!! This is by far the most plastic, soulless, cultureless, cookie cutter city in this country. If you are looking for a "lower cost of living", Dallas and Houston are much better than Phoenix, bearable heat and much better job market. Phoenix in 20 years will be just like LA, even the gangs have moved to AZ because the laws are less stringent, it is a very chaotic metro area growing outwards without planning and infra structure..I most certainly do not recommend this metro area to anybody!
Great post!! Every time I attempt a post like this, I get shot down by the Phoenix fan boys, and they call me a liar. This post fits Phoenix perfectly !

Old 04-15-2009, 03:40 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,698,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
I have to agree with Lukeache about 50%...

As for the weather...forget about the cold. You can keep anything under 30 degrees, I can work outside in shorts when it's 110. I can ride my mountain bike when it's 105. But when it's 30 or below...you're locked inside or bundled up beyond all.

Snotsdale...upscale... yes, but no where are bad a LA's high end areas. Don't like it...don't go there.

People being unfriendly...sure, the midwest has always been a friendlier part of the country. Everyone's the same there and everyone knows everyone. Here you have the white folk transients(sp) and the mexicans. Go to any service orientated business and most speak spanish...no wonder everyone's pissed. This is America. Speak english...

Dallas ...Houston... forget about that noise. Houston crime is horrible and the humidity will kill you.

I've lived in Phx now for 30+ years and like it. I would love to live in San Diego but finances say different right now. I will retire there though.

For every one of you that move from here, there's 1.5 that move back. Phx is a very transient(sp) town. Thousands come and go every month. They move from the midwest to here and then jump over the Cal....things fall apart there... and they move back home or back here. It keep me in business...

Thank you...
As I have been researching about the Phoenix area, I have found out that it does not exactly stay warm the whole year. There are days in the Phoenix area where temperatures do dip in to the 30s. So the idea that Phoenix is a warm weather destination year round is not entirely true. I think Miami is warmer year round than Phoenix, isn't it?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 910,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
I say go to SoCal and try to find something in your degree area...it is warm there but not 100+ for 150 days a year like it is in Phoenix...you should be able to find a job in Phx but the dominant service, construction and real estate industries are hurting here too.
Just so you know, the record number of 100 degree days for Phoeinix is 143 and the average is 89 days.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:19 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,512,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
As I have been researching about the Phoenix area, I have found out that it does not exactly stay warm the whole year. There are days in the Phoenix area where temperatures do dip in to the 30s. So the idea that Phoenix is a warm weather destination year round is not entirely true. I think Miami is warmer year round than Phoenix, isn't it?
Temperatures only usually dip into the 30s in outlying areas (north of town up toward the mountains) in the winter at night. At the worst, it can be in the low 50s in December and January. Its not "warm" but its still warmer than most of the rest of the country.

What's hilarious is during the Fiesta Bowl when football fans for a team from somewhere back east (recently, Ohio State) are walking around in 55 degree weather in shorts and sandles. Meanwhile, I'm bundled up in a jacket, jeans and sweatshirt...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
Great post!! Every time I attempt a post like this, I get shot down by the Phoenix fan boys, and they call me a liar. This post fits Phoenix perfectly !
If Phx offends you so much: why even bother posting to us 'savages'?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,035,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If Phx offends you so much: why even bother posting to us 'savages'?
Love this.

Those poor dears that have no skills to get out out of this hell hole!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,972 times
Default Born and Raised in Arizona here...

I don't think it's necessary for people to bash on Phoenix just because they lived there for a few years... I was born and raised in Mesa.. am currently living in Manhattan.. have lived in Los Angeles, etc. I think it really just IS a matter of opinion. You don't like Phoenix, fine.. that's okay.. I can understand how someone who grew up in MN wouldn't.. MN is a great place.. with a small town feel.. and you're right.. the Valley of the Sun is a melting pot of people from other areas.... and because everything is so spread out in the SW, of course you're not going to get that "neighborhood" feel when dealing with people.. but to post something like that and not expect arizonans to defend their state is silly.. then to call them names is sillier... To me, someone who would take the time to "warn" others of moving somewhere they might love is just downright ridiculous.. it shows you have a lot of time on your hands and are probably a bit naive.. You need to understand that in terms of a state and how it came to be, Arizona in general is still a baby.. and needs time to build culture and history.. Unlike places back East or in the Midwest, that have been established for a very long time.. Phoenix is still "rising" as it may and you need to appreciate it for what it is.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
I don't mean to get personal but you are another one of these posters who hates Phoenix but somehow will not leave the city. You blame "financial reasons" but when asked about your education, job etc, you are doing excellent in those areas. It just seems like a weak excuse. You are obviously educated and working in a great job so why can't you achieve the same elsewhere in another city. A lot of the critics hate Phoenix but somehow can't leave and always cite these weak excuses that never make any sense. Your case is just another example of that. Actions speak louder than words. If you wanted to leave, you would have done so already. To me, it shows that Phoenx isn't that bad of a city when it's harshest critics won't leave.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,818,152 times
Yes, stay away unless you have a lot of money in the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area