Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM

67 posts, read 107,333 times

Advertisements

horrible morals was meant ofr SoCal. Yea, Florida is all newcomers, hardly ever met a native, so why are people so friendly there and not Phoenix and California? Southern influence is my guess.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,026,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annkathryn View Post
I have never been to Miami and have no intentions of going there. That's a whole other world. Orlando is family-oriented and has "Southern Hospitality", in other words, extremely friendly. I made more friends in Orlando in the last couple years than I have in the last 20 years in my home state Wisconsin. Wisconsin generally has 100% humidity or close to it. It's horrible. Most of the year in Florida, excpt summer months, it's 40%. Hurricanes, LoL, we were in the worst hurricane Orlando had, Charlie and it was nothing more than a wind storm, Orlando's too far inland.
Well I am glad you have found a great place to live your life...I found it in Phoenix. Love the people, especially natives and new transplants who love to interact. I love nights when D-Backs play mid-Western teams because I have neighbors from Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Louis, etc. It is extremely friendly in this part of town.

I would suspect that people in those areas of Phoenix are secluded in their neighborhoods but probably have friends that live elsewhere making it SEEM rather unfriendly in their neighborhood. When neighbors don't interact, then it does seem cold. I can't walk around downtown, North Central, Uptown, the gayborhoods, etc. without saying hello to strangers thousands of times. People even WAVE to each other in traffic here and let people into a lane! I know right!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,574,499 times
I guess I have "horrible morals" if your standpoint is Bible thumping. But I have the right morals from a philosophy of reason point of view. I just got badgered for the second time by my apartment managment in Phoenix. I make automatic payments on line. They say I owe $25 and it's overdue. How can I owe $25 if I make automatic payments from my bank and I know I have enough money in the account? The other thing was about renter's insurance. They almost kicked me out.

I know this is not a Phoenix thing, just a bad business thing from apartments I hardly even live in.

So now I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of that address and moving to Oregon. I'm tired of this B.S. I did them a favor by hardly even living in that apartment and they treat me like a criminal.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I guess I have "horrible morals" if your standpoint is Bible thumping. But I have the right morals from a philosophy of reason point of view. I just got badgered for the second time by my apartment managment in Phoenix. I make automatic payments on line. They say I owe $25 and it's overdue. How can I owe $25 if I make automatic payments from my bank and I know I have enough money in the account? The other thing was about renter's insurance. They almost kicked me out.

I know this is not a Phoenix thing, just a bad business thing from apartments I hardly even live in.

So now I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of that address and moving to Oregon. I'm tired of this B.S. I did them a favor by hardly even living in that apartment and they treat me like a criminal.
What a horrible management situation at your apartment!!! I would call the parent company of the complex. The same thing happened to my ex at his place and he called the parent company and got a free month of rent because he was a long time resident. That was $1200 in his pocket!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 PM

105 posts, read 275,174 times
Leave the Florida talk to the FL forum, let's get back to Phoenix shall we?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmn View Post
Leave the Florida talk to the FL forum, let's get back to Phoenix shall we?
Yes Mom/Dad, think we are ahead of you! Being facetious...LOL

Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 AM

55 posts, read 180,357 times
Cheaper in So Cal? You mean with the 10.55% state income tax and the 9.0% sales tax? And it is sure to get worse....High income earners and businesses are flocking out!

I suppose a lot depends on where you live in Phx. I can see that some parts of this city are depressing. The Biltmore/Arcadia/Central Phx. areas are quite nice in my opinion. I love the fruit trees. I am an avid cyclist and even in the thick of summer, we still get out and ride for 4+ hours (albeit it early in the AM). There are not many areas of the country where you can ride year round. The mtn. biking out here is phenomenal as well. I enjoy being able to hike and mtn bike practically out my back door. I love the desert, the cacti, the wildlife. I have a pair of foxes with puppies living in a ditch in front of my house off of Camelback!This is the second litter.

I grew up in frigid alaska and attended school in Michigan. I hope never again to have to live somewhere that cold and miserable. It's not just unbearably cold, but cloudy for days on end, with no sun. It was incredibly depressing. I used to dread flying back to both states after a vacation in Arizona or Ca. Not anymore.

I will not disagree that we lack culture in this city, but there arent too many cities which exemplify my idea of a metropolitan downtown. NY, Portland, Sea. come to mind, but these all have their own problems...homelessness, expensive, high jobless rate (11.8%in PDX), weather, etc. In the end, it all depends on what you want.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annkathryn View Post
gee, all of four months! LOl. You should have lived in Orlando. We lived in SoCal twice and it has the same "isolated" society, Phoenix has. You only get to know the people you work with, noone else talks to you! Boring...Plus the horrible morals. I never was so happy to get out of a place in my life and that was going back to freezing Wisconsin!
FYI: I was in Fla for the summer of 1982-------------no thank you. I hate humidity if the ambient temps are much above 80-85F

As for your putative 'horrible morals'; the part of Fla where I was had them in spades. To be slightly crude: I had never seen so many scumballs per square mile------------suffice to say, I was so glad to be back in the land of nuts, fruits, and flakes AKA SoCal of 1982.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,806 times
My husband and I with our daughter would like to move to either Texas or Arizona. We live in Indiana and we are having a hard time trying to figure out how to do this. We are going to visit both and then decide afterwards. We need help figuring out how and where to move. can someone tell us some information to help us figure out a little about arizona before we move. We would like a great school for when she gets old enough and things for us all to doand just things cause all we know about is indiana.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 AM

214 posts, read 692,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
While I share the OP's sentiments, I don't have quite the same reasons. While we knew when we relocated here that it would be temporary, it's given us a chance to experience a part of the US we'd not lived in before.

We now know that we are not well-suited for desert living and we'll be moving in less than year to a distinctly non-desert climate for exactly that reason.

Eh, I guess this just comes under the "you live and you learn" heading, to me.
This is my take too, and I want to get out. People, realize that not everyone likes living in the Phoenix area, you don't have to take it personally and attack. Relax, enjoy your lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area