Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 08:52 PM

6 posts, read 34,768 times

Advertisements

I am looking for work in the Valley and continually see the same companies advertising for the same positions. The same employers show up at all the job fairs which makes me suspicious as to the rate of turnover in these companies.

Does anyone work for or know of any companies that need a good customer service person? I worked in a call center position for seven years before the company laid off two departments. There are many call center positions in the Valley but I am looking for a company that really values the employees and is not looking for a warm body to fill a seat. Any suggestions or personal experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 09:31 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Turnover in call centers is big around here. Not many people like the job after they've been there a while. The age of the employees is another thing, they are usually pretty young and immature. But, also it may not all be turnover. Growth of the companies is probably another reason for lots of jobs.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Call centers USED to be one of the largest employer types in the Phoenix area, but I think the metro area as a whole is starting to move away from that. My company location is going to lay off about one third of its employees starting at the end of year ... and those who are getting the boot are ALL inbound phone representatives. Call center jobs are mostly being shipped to the smaller U.S. markets, or overseas.

So my question is: why on earth are you moving here to take a call center type of job anyway? Those positions pay less than $10 per hour for entry level, and those who work in that environment are highly stressed, and feel that their jobs aren't highly valued. I started out many years ago in a call center envrionment, and the conditions were slightly better than the post office or a sweat shop ... which isn't saying much.

Move to Delaware, Canada, Philippines, or India if you're looking for a call center job. If you're moving to Phoenix to have a "career" as a customer service representative, you're going to find yourself frustrated, burned out, and underpaid in a short length of time (if they don't lay you off first). You'd be better off getting a college degree in a field you're interested in, and then aiming your goals a little higher.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
There are lots of places to find such a job. Some of the big companies out here include American Express, Discover Card, and Cox Communications. I know that APS pays well and I've heard employees enjoy working in customer service there. I would also look at the water companies.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:52 PM

181 posts, read 1,076,717 times
I know 2 people that work for Discover Card, they like it.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:00 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,660 times
I know 6 people who work for American Express, and they all like it. 2 are new to the company, and 4 have been working there for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area