Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I had a reasonably good experience at Banner Estrella just off 101 near Thomas. Also, Cancer Treatment Centers of America is currently building its Western region medical center in Goodyear for opening in early 09. It might be a good time to inquire about positions there.

Thank you I will try them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,284 times
Default registered nurse

casa grande hospital is a level iv trama center, we (i have worked there for 11 yrs.) stabilize the critical patients and then send them to a higher level of care. in this rural area, like many others, it is not uncommon to fly patients in need of higher level of care out. casa grande is not a bad hospital, just not as big as the ones in bigger cities.
all hospitals have a rating for trama as follows (this includes premature babies, at seven months, that is a level I):

United Statesa Level I trauma center provides the highest level of surgical care to trauma] patients.
A Level I trauma center is required to have a certain number of surgeons and anesthesiologists on duty 24 hours a day at the hospital, an education program, preventive and outreach programs. Key elements include 24-hour in-house coverage by general surgeons and prompt availability of care in varying specialties such as orthopedic surgeryneurosurgeryanesthesiology emergency medicine radiology"]internal medicineoral and maxillofacial surgery, and critical care, which are needed to adequately respond and care for various forms of trauma that a patient may suffer.

a Level II trauma center provides emergency medicine to trauma patients. A Level II trauma center works in collaboration with a Level I trauma center]. It provides comprehensive trauma care and supplements the clinical expertise of a Level I institution. It provides 24-hour availability of all essential specialties, personnel and equipment. Minimum volume requirements may depend on local conditions. These institutions are not required to have an ongoing program of research or a surgical residency program. Hospitals are designated as a Level II trauma center by the American College of Surgeons for a period of three years.

In the United States a Level III trauma center provides Emergency medicine to trauma patients who do not need the services of a Level I or a Level II trauma center
A Level III trauma center is required to have a certain number of surgeons on call 24 hours a day.
Hospitals are designated as a Level III trauma center by the American College of Surgeonsfor a period of three years.

A Level IV trauma center provides the stabilization and treatment of severely injured patients in remote areas where no alternative care is available.

Last edited by spacye; 01-15-2008 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: getting rid of the url junk in the middle of the sentences

Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,397 times
Default St. Joseph's = St. Noseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
no one here has said anything about St Joe's, how is that like? Also, IASIS healthcare system is the pits, do not let employees transfer to new facilities when they open up.
I would not recommend St. Joseph's. My husband had a horrible experience there. We are in the middle of a dispute with them.

Mayo is excellent. I've heard that Banner Arrowhead is nice, but have never been.

If you have the time to drive to it and your insurance will cover most to all of the costs, I say go to Mayo.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,142 times
Default Best Hospitals in Phoenix

Very good question! First, I would stay away from the "for profit" hospitals. I've haven't heard too many good things about the Abrazo Healthcare system, which include the following hospitals: Paradise Valley Hospital, Maryvale Hospital, Phoenix Baptist Hospital, West Valley Hospital, and Arrowhead Hospital (especially Paradise Valley Hospital and Maryvale Hospital). My dad had a very poor experience at Paradise Valley Hospital and I've heard bad things about Maryvale hospital as well. I heard that Arrowhead is one of the better Abrazo Hospitals.

St. Joes has an excellent neurology dept; one of the best in the nation.

Phoenix Childrens Hospital is an AMAZING hospital for pediatrics

I've heard very good things about the OB/GYN at Banner Good Samaritan. They're excellent for high risk pregnancy.... and they even have a NICU run by Phoenix Childrens Hospital right in Good Samaritan!!

I've heard good things about the OB/GYN at Banner Thunderbird.

Mayo is an awesome Hospital. In my opinion, its probably the best all around hospital.

John C. Lincoln is an excellent hospital... and they even have a Level 1 trauma Center.

Maricopa is probably the best for Trauma and Burns.

I dont know too much about the hospitals in the East Valley

Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
We've had great experiences with Mayo, Thunderbird and St Joe's.
Arrowhead was a disaster. My son had to wait 81/2 hours suffering from appendicitis which ruptured and afterwards they left a sponge inside and he got a serious painful infection from it. They had to open the stitching and clean it out ,and then spend a week in there recuperating for what should have been a 1-2 day procedure. They didn't even apologize for their mistakes.
Our daughter in law was transferred to Arrowhead from another hospital to have her 2nd baby. Said it was the worst experience of her life.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:57 PM

641 posts, read 2,365,939 times
I had a good experience with St. Joes. They diagnosed a vey rare disease that was not allowing me to walk, and admitted me from the ER. Before that my Neuro told me I had the flu! Anyway, the doctors were great and the nurses were great. Much better treatment that I have had at the banners.

Ama

Old 03-24-2008, 01:28 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We've had great experiences with Mayo, Thunderbird and St Joe's.
Arrowhead was a disaster. My son had to wait 81/2 hours suffering from appendicitis which ruptured and afterwards they left a sponge inside and he got a serious painful infection from it. They had to open the stitching and clean it out ,and then spend a week in there recuperating for what should have been a 1-2 day procedure. They didn't even apologize for their mistakes.
Our daughter in law was transferred to Arrowhead from another hospital to have her 2nd baby. Said it was the worst experience of her life.
Did you sue?

Old 03-24-2008, 01:33 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,058 times
"John C. Lincoln is an excellent hospital... and they even have a Level 1 trauma Center".

It's interesting....I think everyone can just have a very different experience. I had a minor surgery at Phoenix Baptist, although I was put to sleep. I had a wonderful surgeon and had a great experience. This was the first time I had ever had any type of surgery. Then 2 months later had another surgery at John C. Lincoln and hemmorhaged(sp) 4 days later...called 911 and was taken back by ambulence. My dr. was so unprofessional as he wouldn't answer his page from the ER from 10pm when I was admitted, until 5 am...when I had to beack in for more surgery! Just recently I found out this Dr. had to give up his license(but he had come highly recommended)....so really, I just think everyone's experiences may be a little different!

Last edited by sassieb75; 03-24-2008 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-24-2008, 02:24 PM

41 posts, read 164,362 times
Mayo is a top hospital for the nation.

Scottsdale Shea seems good, but I have heard some bad stories about Scottsdale Osborn. Scottsdale Thompson Peak is really new and I think supposed to be okay.

Definitely stay away from Paradise Valley Hospital.

I have heard good things about Banner Good Samaritan, John C. Lincoln and Children's Hospitals.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 PM

738 posts, read 1,883,943 times
My father DIED from contracting SEPSIS at Good Sam in Phoenix- - -was admitted and had hip surgery and 3 days later my dad was dead. No warning- not expected-to this day, i still have not gotten over this.

I would not want anyone to go thru what my mom and i experienced.

I would NOT recommend that hospital to anyone- Their visiting rules are non-existent. My dad had to share a room and the room=mate had 8-10 visitors at 1 time and this occurred on several occasions. There is a limit of 2 visitors but it is not enforced.

Mayo is the ONLY one I trust!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area