Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,131 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are from New York and we're looking for a summer/winter home in Arizona. We have many friends in AZ but we've only been in AZ a few times mostly in Sun City, we want a new home so we don't have to worry about maintenance of an older home. I've been looking at builders Pulte and Taylor Morrison and were hoping for feedback on some locations from those who are familiar with the areas.

The locations:
1) Trovita Estates - Mesa, AZ 85205
2) Norterra - Phoenix, AZ 85085
3) Canyon Trails - Goodyear, AZ 85338

All 3 communities have homes similar in size yet 1 & 2 are starting in the 320s where 3 is the upper 100s...is there a reason for such a wide price difference and which of these areas is the best for a retired couple in late 50s? Thanks.

Last edited by patty1970; 01-01-2012 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
The closer to Phoenix, the higher the price for homes. The outskirts were and still are the lower priced per square foot. We are on the west side and have a preference for this area.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,343,151 times
Also, you are looking for a SUMMER home? To each his own - but just so used to most people doing the opposite! LOL

Also, as Motley says, the major difference in pricing is caused by the difference in travel time to the work centers and amenities of downtown Phoenix. That may not be an issue for you guys....so if you are willing to drive 30 mins on those occassions you want to go to a ballgame or whatever, you ll save a bunch of money.

But with differences that large for the same price house, my guess is there is also a difference in the quality of amenities (i.e. nicer cabinets, garage doors, front doors, etc.) as well as lot sizes....

Best of luck!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:39 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,642 times
I don't know the other two but that Trovita in Mesa is upscale homes with a prestigious Mesa location (bit of an oxymoron). That was a citrus grove with one house in the middle until very recently. That Val Vista citrus corridor has a lot of million dollar homes. I'd expect your lot there to be a lot more valuable than some far outlying area, like where you usually see new construction.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:11 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Also, you are looking for a SUMMER home? To each his own - but just so used to most people doing the opposite! LOL

Also, as Motley says, the major difference in pricing is caused by the difference in travel time to the work centers and amenities of downtown Phoenix. That may not be an issue for you guys....so if you are willing to drive 30 mins on those occassions you want to go to a ballgame or whatever, you ll save a bunch of money.

But with differences that large for the same price house, my guess is there is also a difference in the quality of amenities (i.e. nicer cabinets, garage doors, front doors, etc.) as well as lot sizes....

Best of luck!
LOL, where would one find the "amenities of downtown Phoenix?". I don't think that would explain such a large difference. I suspect OP is comparing apples to oranges in neighborhoods. Don't know the others but Canyon Trails is starter to mid-level family stuff on smallish lots without community centers, pools, etc for the most part. Nice place though if that is what one is looking for.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:26 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty1970 View Post
Hi, my husband and I are from New York and we're looking for a summer/winter home in Arizona. We have many friends in AZ but we've only been in AZ a few times mostly in Sun City, we want a new home so we don't have to worry about maintenance of an older home. I've been looking at builders Pulte and Taylor Morrison and were hoping for feedback on some locations from those who are familiar with the areas.

The locations:

All 3 communities have homes similar in size yet 1 & 2 are starting in the 320s where 3 is the upper 100s...is there a reason for such a wide price difference and which of these areas is the best for a retired couple in late 50s? Thanks.
I live in #3 above (Canyon Trails - Goodyear, AZ 85338) and the difference in price is location. Canyon Trails is a nice area but it's more a working middle class family area that is on the outskirts of the Phoenix metro area. The others I would imagine are closer to the center of the metro area and are targeted at more upscale residents. Though, lots of older retirees live in our neighborhood it is more of a working family neighborhood.

If you like the Goodyear area and want more luxury there are some upscale areas to include Pebble Creek and Estrella Mountain Ranch. Verado in Buckeye is nice as well.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:12 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
Another builder that I would highly recommend is Fulton Homes. Fulton makes excellent quality homes, and was the best selling homebuilder of 2011 in the Phoenix area. Some communties that they have currently available include Fulton Ranch and Geneva Estates in Chandler, Freeman Farms in Gilbert (where we live), and Ashcreek, Ironwood Crossing, and Victoria Estates in Queen Creek.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,163,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty1970 View Post
for feedback on some locations from those who are familiar with the areas.

The locations:

which of these areas is the best for a retired couple in late 50s? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Some communties that they have currently available include Fulton Ranch and Geneva Estates in Chandler, Freeman Farms in Gilbert (where we live), and Ashcreek, Ironwood Crossing, and Victoria Estates in Queen Creek.
The o/p asked for specific feedback on three locations, none of which are in Chandler, Gilbert, or Queen Creek.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,743 times
A builder may have three different products in the same master planned community, and the prices will vary greatly. The difference will be the size of the home, lot size, included features and neighborhood amenities.

Trovita Estates is a small, newer community.
Noterra has many community amenities and was recently voted #1 Master Planned Community in Maricopa County.
Canyon Trails is a very large master planned community with several different builders.

These are three very different communities - you'll have to see for yourself.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
I like older homes better--made sturdier and the products they used better. I used to call my new house on the lake my chicken wire home. And, it was a "good" builder. But, no comparison. The products they used then compared to now--big difference. You have to look at the whole picture of what you want I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area