Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,610 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of nice homes for rent by the asian market. Also other asian businesses around there. Doctors and dentist. It's on the Chandler/ Mesa boarder so it's close too Mesa. Dobson Rd and Warner Rd. zip code is 85224.
Chandler, Arizona - New Zip Code Map (a link to city zip codes) Good Luck to your family.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 AM

124 posts, read 409,981 times
Mesa is the last place you should think of. That's the city the Sikh was shot in around 9/11. You can see the trailerparks and the RV superstore off the freeway let alone the shooting range. And Mesa cops tend to be obnoxious bulies in my experience. One time I accidentally exited off the 60 to a blocked exit in Mesa. There was a police officer there who thought I was trying to cheat by taking an early yet blocked exit. He made me reverse nearly a 1/4 of a mile down the long ramp just to be an a-hole. And one another time, I accidentally made a left turn out of a strip mall at night; a mesa cop pulled me over and gave me a "warning" and said I should have seen the sign. There sign was covered by soot and there was no traffic at the time. I don't even live in Mesa and I've never been pulled over by any police in the valley with the exception of that left turn issue in Mesa.

Gilbert is a beautiful community. It is clean and has low crime. It's pretty wealthy and is now adding incredible shopping. It also has some amazing schools However, it is a conservative Mormon community. It has the eery Children of the Corn kind of feel to it. Nearly everyone is white, blonde, blue eyed and Mormon. They also try to pass conservative laws that essentially impose their religious beliefs on the community. I wouldn't recommend a biracial family move there. If I was Mormon or a conservative Christian evangelical, I wouldn't look anywhere else but Gilbert.

Scottsdale can be confusing. Yes, it has many progressive restaurants, shopping and bars/clubs. It looks like Los Angelas so it gives people the impression it is this young liberal community. The truth is those young people who hang out in Scottsdale don't live there. The actual residents of Scottsdale are conservative and wealthy older residents. They are not rednecks by any means but they are wealthy people who want to be left alone. They just do their thing. I don't think it's ideal for a young family.

My recommendation is Chandler/Ahwautukee! Most of the Asians in the valley live here. They have a significant Indian, Vietnamese and Chinese community. The caucasians in the area seem to embrace the diversity in their community as opposed to being threatened by it. It's full of young families and is wealthier and nicer than Gilbert. The Chandler Fashion Square mall area is arguably the second best shopping area in the valley after Scottsdale Fashion Square. Most of the professional athletes in the valley live here. The Cardinals training facility is there; Matt Leinart lives in Chandler and a lot of the Suns players live there too.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 PM

89 posts, read 327,067 times
Oriental... She's not a rug..
As for Asian families... In the Dobson coridor you'l find quite a few Asian households. It starts from Dobson/Broadway to Dobson/Ray. Lots of Asian businesses border this area. South of Dobson/Baseline is a nice area of Mesa. I've seen quite a few Asian familes around the Dobson/Warner area mainly because of all the Asian businesses associated there.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,967,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
Mesa is the last place you should think of. That's the city the Sikh was shot in around 9/11. You can see the trailerparks and the RV superstore off the freeway let alone the shooting range. And Mesa cops tend to be obnoxious bulies in my experience. One time I accidentally exited off the 60 to a blocked exit in Mesa. There was a police officer there who thought I was trying to cheat by taking an early yet blocked exit. He made me reverse nearly a 1/4 of a mile down the long ramp just to be an a-hole. And one another time, I accidentally made a left turn out of a strip mall at night; a mesa cop pulled me over and gave me a "warning" and said I should have seen the sign. There sign was covered by soot and there was no traffic at the time. I don't even live in Mesa and I've never been pulled over by any police in the valley with the exception of that left turn issue in Mesa.

Gilbert is a beautiful community. It is clean and has low crime. It's pretty wealthy and is now adding incredible shopping. It also has some amazing schools However, it is a conservative Mormon community. It has the eery Children of the Corn kind of feel to it. Nearly everyone is white, blonde, blue eyed and Mormon. They also try to pass conservative laws that essentially impose their religious beliefs on the community. I wouldn't recommend a biracial family move there. If I was Mormon or a conservative Christian evangelical, I wouldn't look anywhere else but Gilbert.

Scottsdale can be confusing. Yes, it has many progressive restaurants, shopping and bars/clubs. It looks like Los Angelas so it gives people the impression it is this young liberal community. The truth is those young people who hang out in Scottsdale don't live there. The actual residents of Scottsdale are conservative and wealthy older residents. They are not rednecks by any means but they are wealthy people who want to be left alone. They just do their thing. I don't think it's ideal for a young family.

My recommendation is Chandler/Ahwautukee! Most of the Asians in the valley live here. They have a significant Indian, Vietnamese and Chinese community. The caucasians in the area seem to embrace the diversity in their community as opposed to being threatened by it. It's full of young families and is wealthier and nicer than Gilbert. The Chandler Fashion Square mall area is arguably the second best shopping area in the valley after Scottsdale Fashion Square. Most of the professional athletes in the valley live here. The Cardinals training facility is there; Matt Leinart lives in Chandler and a lot of the Suns players live there too.

My kids are not white, blond or blue eyed and they did fine in Gilbert. Yeah some of those Mormons are children of the cornish but many are not. My older son's best friends are Mormon and yes they tried to convert but it didn't work and they are still close friends 7 years later.

I thought most of the athletes lived in Paradise Valley or N Scottsdale.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,386,470 times
Quote:

I would have no problem embracing a family that is biracial and I am Mormon. But then my family is also biracial. The truth is that the Mormon church is now larger outside the United States than it is here in this nation. One reason is because of the values that most people around the world believe in. Most of the missionairies that are sent on missions end up serving in other parts of the world. When they return they have a love and respect for those that the place that they spent two years teaching about the Restored gospel of Jesus Christ. If you are happy with Gilbert then feel free to move there. I am sure you will feel very welcome there.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:20 AM

51 posts, read 159,536 times
Quote:
i agree with cxray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadlifestyle View Post
Also, anyone knows if there are Asian grocery stores in any of these cities?
Lee Lee's is amazing:
Lee Lee Oriental Supermarket Chandler | Yelp

Old 11-22-2007, 01:57 AM

376 posts, read 491,336 times
Quote:
My husband might have a new job opportunity in Mesa Az. We are a young family - I'm Chinese, husband's Caucasian and we have 3 kids 4 and under

We know nothing about AZ. Are the three cities close enough that we can consider staying in Scottsdale or Gilbert while working in Mesa?

Any nice and safe sections with good schools? I myself hate driving on the highway and busy roads. Also, anyone knows if there are Asian grocery stores in any of these cities?

Thanks!
If you are working in Mesa, move there. Mesa is more 'live and let live' than Scottsdale (although being that you are asian and white, it isn't the type of folks they typically have a problem with). I don't know where the Asian grocery is, but I would think they have one close to (or in) Mesa. I don't know about Gilbert. I can't say one way or the other.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,794,859 times
Quote:
My husband might have a new job opportunity in Mesa Az. We are a young family - I'm Chinese, husband's Caucasian and we have 3 kids 4 and under

We know nothing about AZ. Are the three cities close enough that we can consider staying in Scottsdale or Gilbert while working in Mesa?

Any nice and safe sections with good schools? I myself hate driving on the highway and busy roads. Also, anyone knows if there are Asian grocery stores in any of these cities?

Thanks!
Mesa cuts a wide swath across the east valley, so depending on where your job is, you could most likely locate closer to your Mesa job by living in Gilbert.There are good schools in Gilbert and you can find rentals in nice areas for $1600.

There is a large Asian market in Chandler which is about 20 minutes drive from where I live in Gilbert. I'll have to get the address again. I know where it is but forget the street intersection names.

In the small community where I live there is a mix of retirees, occupations, ages, children and cultures. There are 3 Asian families, and one African American/Caucasian familiy, one Hispanic/Caucasian family (my wife is Hispanic). One family has a young adopted Russian son. Everyone is treated with respect; everyone is friendly, and we all get along fine. Our elementary school is within walking distance.

Bill

Old 11-25-2007, 09:31 PM

477 posts, read 1,584,571 times
Quote:

Believe it or not, Mormons do not raise their children to be racists! That is one religion, despite it's past ways, that I have never heard a racial slur out of a member of that church. Now, of course that is my experience. I grew up mormon and ended up marrying a black man. I didn't have anyone disown me or anything like that! So, please don't think that is a tue statement about mormons when deciding where to live or NOT to live in the valley!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,794,859 times
Quote:

...Gilbert is a beautiful community. It is clean and has low crime. It's pretty wealthy and is now adding incredible shopping. It also has some amazing schools However, it is a conservative Mormon community. It has the eery Children of the Corn kind of feel to it. Nearly everyone is white, blonde, blue eyed and Mormon. They also try to pass conservative laws that essentially impose their religious beliefs on the community. I wouldn't recommend a biracial family move there. If I was Mormon or a conservative Christian evangelical, I wouldn't look anywhere else but Gilbert...
cxray I live in Gilbert and cannot agree with your conception of Gilbert. It does have a large Mormon population, and I have some Mormon friends, but they never try to impose their religious on me.

I'm caucasian, brown eyed, non-Mormon, and my wife is Hispanic Catholic. About 15% of the 38 homes in my small community are non-causian; Hispanic, Chinese, Japanese and African American. The African American lady is married to a caucasian and they have wonderful children who mix well with all the area children. Everyone is equal and everyone here is treated equally.

I'm not aware of any law that imposes religious beliefs on the residents of this city. I would think that is unconstitutional.

There is no hint of "children of the corn" in the areas that I've seen. Unfortunately kids around here create the same type of vandalism as they do in other cities. Perhaps we would be better off if whe did have more disciplined children.

At our Val Vista Lakes clubhouse on Saturday evening while I was working the greeting area for visitors that come to visit our Christmas light display and see Santa Clause, some kid went into the men's room and plastered feces all over the inside door.

That seems to be a "thing" that's going on in many of the Gilbert and Queen Creek schools and perhaps elsewhere. The kids urinate in the soap containers and splatter feces around. This comes from the lack of disipline, booth at home and in the schools, and the lack of respect for their fellow school mates, as well as the lack of respect for society as a whole.

Gilbert is a great city, but I don't see it the same way as you see it.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area