Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,637,385 times

Advertisements

The original Magyars were highly mobile Eurasian steppe nomads - the Turanid racial element was important. Turkic tribes such as Pechenegs and Kumans also had an impact. Only a small percentage of modern Hungarians have Mongoloid traits. Hungary is one of the most heterogenous European nations. A significant percentage of Hungarians have recent Slavic or German ancestors.

http://www.sci.u-szeged.hu/ABS/Acta%20HP/44-81.pdf
http://www.sci.u-szeged.hu/ABS/Acta%20HP/44-95.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

A friend of mine who is of Hungarian heritage looks Eurasian------she has the inner eye folds, high cheekbones, etc. yet is 100% 'White' legally speaking.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
cxray I live in Gilbert and cannot agree with your conception of Gilbert. It does have a large Mormon population, and I have some Mormon friends, but they never try to impose their religious on me.
I agree with you. I live in Gilbert as well. I do have blue eyes and I am Caucasian, but I do not have blond hair, and I am not mormon

I also agree that Gilbert does not have a "children of the corn" feel. It may be safer and quieter than other areas, but is that really creepy?

I have not seen any prejudice here either. Arizona, as a whole, is 80% Caucasian, yet I see people of many ethnicities here in Gilbert on a daily basis, who don't seem overly oppressed.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,073 times
I have lived in three areas in the east valley. In Chandler it felt very normal with lots of diverse cultures. I never noticed any "types" of people. There was a free to be yourself vibe there. We then moved to Gilbert and it was a bit Children of the Corn. Sorry not trying to bash anyone but there seems to be a controlling factor there for whatever reason. There is certainly a predominance of a certain belief. We then moved to Queen Creek in town. It's even worse out here. I am so ready to move back to Chandler. I never want to live where any group of people have control and want to impose their values on you. I have never lived in Mesa but I have always been warned against it by people who have lived there.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:20 AM

25 posts, read 62,621 times
Arizona as a whole is not 80% caucasian. There are so many Hispanics alone to contradict that statement. There is a great deal of diversity in the valley. Granted, it's not as high as say San Francisco but then how many cities are? Relative to most cities in this country such as Denver, Phoenix has a lot of diversity.

Gilbert continues to rank as one of the best cities to live in the United States. In addition, it is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It's no secret that Gilbert has a higher proportion of people of the Mormon faith than many communities in the valley. While I agree that Mormons don't directly impose their faith upon you by knocking on your door or approaching you with pamphlets while walking in the mall, they indirectly impose their faith by voting on certain legislation and prohibiting the building of certain bars or restaurants that others may enjoy. The Victoria Secret controversy is one example as well. Mormons also base their life around their church which can exclude more secular families. This isn't as big of an issue for adults as it is for children since many of your child's friends will likely attend Mormon based retreats and camps that your child can't attend. I've heard of many stories about this. My friend's son's entire class went on a church ski trip to Colorado which he couldn't attend since he wasn't Mormon. I'm not suggesting the Mormons wouldn't invite these people if they communicated interest but for many people, religion is a personal issue and doesn't comprise their daily living. For this reason, many people prefer to live in nearby Chandler which offers many of the same nice things about Gilbert. If you truly want to feel that you are a part of a community and you aren't Mormon, Gilbert may not be ideal for you. However, if you just want to live in a nice city and you don't really care about local politics or being involved in the community, Gilbert would be a fine choice. It just depends on what you are seeking.

Mesa is a very large city. It has a large Mormon community as well but the overwhelming majority of people are non-Mormon. It's difficult to judge Mesa as a whole because it really depends upon the exact location in Mesa. Mesa is geographically very large so you can't really pigeon hole it in regards to its description like you can with Gilbert. I know people who see Mesa as a great place to build their dream home while still being a part of the city. If you are building a home in the valley, the only choices you really have are to build in a remote part of the valley regardless of what direction you go. In Mesa, there are still areas in which you can build but still feel connected to the urban areas of the valley. West Mesa near Dobson ranch is pretty nice. Some people enjoy living near Superstition Springs near golf courses albeit they are far from the central part of the valley. Yes, there are also very run down and high crime areas of Mesa too. I think the main issue with Mesa is that it's a little older and not as posh in general as other cities in the valley

Last edited by hgbhct; 12-15-2007 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times
im a white woman with a black husband and a mixed daughter, i live in NY and it seems crazy to me that if someone is concerned about racism that white people automatically assume that black or mixed families have to live around crime to fit in or they will be an outcast, to be honest in life no matter where you live you will find racism, i believe if you made the choice to be in a biracial family expect it and move where ever you know your family will fit in; i live in a mainly white community very small town in the mountians and are there racist people here? yes, but pay it no mind; be yourself and for everyone out there please stop steriotyping mixed families, my family is very respected and fits in as if there was no color everyone loves my husband and my daughter, so i hate the fact that yall on here can only offer advised cuz you assume black families have to live around black families, what people are searching for is accepting; loving communities not judgemental families; they want their kids to be same growing up in a crime ridden city is highly my expectation for a good upbringing, no matter where you live people make it yours.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilburn83 View Post
im a white woman with a black husband and a mixed daughter, i live in NY and it seems crazy to me that if someone is concerned about racism that white people automatically assume that black or mixed families have to live around crime to fit in or they will be an outcast, to be honest in life no matter where you live you will find racism, i believe if you made the choice to be in a biracial family expect it and move where ever you know your family will fit in; i live in a mainly white community very small town in the mountians and are there racist people here? yes, but pay it no mind; be yourself and for everyone out there please stop steriotyping mixed families, my family is very respected and fits in as if there was no color everyone loves my husband and my daughter, so i hate the fact that yall on here can only offer advised cuz you assume black families have to live around black families, what people are searching for is accepting; loving communities not judgemental families; they want their kids to be same growing up in a crime ridden city is highly my expectation for a good upbringing, no matter where you live people make it yours.
The person above revived a 3.5 year old. It serves no purpose now

Old 04-09-2011, 12:01 AM

183 posts, read 550,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgbhct View Post
While I agree that Mormons don't directly impose their faith upon you by knocking on your door or approaching you with pamphlets while walking in the mall,
???????
I've had PLENTY of Mormons knock on my door

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The person above revived a 3.5 year old. It serves no purpose now
Duly noted, yet I could let that go unchallenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area