Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:23 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So glad you are able to still post here. Powersurge, there are nutty drivers everywhere. The small town in N.Ca where we came from had too many little old ladies behind wheels that did not belong there. They caused more fatalities than anyone. What concerns me is the lack of police response, how sad.

I gave you points. You are right about the nutty drivers but I liked the comment about the lil' ol' ladies in N Calif.
And I cant disagree, it was a little ol lady (in Calif) that hit and killed a 4 yr old boy I used to babysit, she didnt even know she hit him till she got to the stopsign a half block from where it happened, neighbours all came running after her and had to tell her! She was reaching in her grocery bag for her cigarettes. The one day he stayed home with his dad because he couldnt get the car started and was right there working on it in their driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
Wow , I'm so glad your ok! I can't believe you couldn't flag down an officer.
Isn't that how it always happens, but they'll be there to see you j-walking. lol
I can't believe the driver didn't even stop. What an a**.
Nice to see you get a second chance TurcoLoco, when you post from now on I will always think about this. Take care

Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,738 times
On Christmas Eve 1994 I was Tboned at the intersection of 7th Street and Camelback by a cab driver going about 35 miles an hour. He had fallen asleep. The drivers side door was completely crushed and I had to crawl out the passenger side of the vehicle. Had I not had seat belts on – I would have gone through the windshield. I had Nissan XE pickup at the time. It was nearly totaled (unfortunately I was stuck keeping it after major repairs). I was left with upper back problems that later triggered migraines. These problems persisted for several years after the accident.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:50 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
How are things going with you TurcoLoco? Is your foot/leg okay?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:54 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
On Christmas Eve 1994 I was Tboned at the intersection of 7th Street and Camelback by a cab driver going about 35 miles an hour. He had fallen asleep. The drivers side door was completely crushed and I had to crawl out the passenger side of the vehicle. Had I not had seat belts on – I would have gone through the windshield. I had Nissan XE pickup at the time. It was nearly totaled (unfortunately I was stuck keeping it after major repairs). I was left with upper back problems that later triggered migraines. These problems persisted for several years after the accident.
Definitely should have seen (and should now) see a Chiropractor.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:58 AM

338 posts, read 1,624,489 times
I'm glad to hear that you are OK. I cringe every time I see a motorcyle rider blazing by me at 70 mph with no helmet on! I am not a fan of motorcycles, only been on one as a passenger twice (crotch rockets) and it was fun, I have to admit but way too dangerous! You are very lucky.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:19 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So glad you are able to still post here. Powersurge, there are nutty drivers everywhere. The small town in N.Ca where we came from had too many little old ladies behind wheels that did not belong there. They caused more fatalities than anyone. What concerns me is the lack of police response, how sad.
I know what you mean about little old ladies that don't belong behind the wheel. I think families of people who should no longer be behind the wheel need to take responsibility and make sure they aren't there any more. Several years ago, my Aunt put her car in drive instead of reverse when attempting to back out of her garage, she also gave it enough gas to drive right through the garage wall and partly into her family room. We thought, "Well, it was probably just an isolated incident, anybody could make a mistake like that." Then she had a fender bender with another driver and the insurance company decided it was her fault so we found out she didn't even see the other car and just flat ran right into them. We thought, "Well, we'd better get her eyes checked, she probably just can't see as well as she used to and needs stronger glasses." Then about 2 years ago she was pulled over on the highway. She was going 25 M.P.H. in a 65 M.P.H. zone! She told the officer she had missed her exit and had gotten confused, so she was just trying to drive slow until she got her bearings. We could no longer consider excuses for her driving. She could have killed someone that day with her slow speed. We insisted she not get behind the wheel again. She did anyway. My cousin (her son) then took her car away and advised the Department of Licensing of the problem. Although she is still upset about her family "ganging up on her", at least she is no longer endangering her life and the lives of others. I encourage everyone on here to please keep an eye on your elderly relatives and step in and take action when you think they should no longer be behind the wheel. They might not even realize how bad they have gotten. You might be able to save a life.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:36 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
How are things going with you TurcoLoco? Is your foot/leg okay?
Thank you for asking!
Good as new....almost. The main problem and limping went away after about two weeks so I could walk normal and use my left foot without much of any pain. So I am glad my body recovers reasonably fast. I am definitely more alert now and try to use my high-beams at the intersections and try not to ride late at night. In spite of heavier traffic, I think day rides are still safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
She did anyway. My cousin (her son) then took her car away and advised the Department of Licensing of the problem. Although she is still upset about her family "ganging up on her", at least she is no longer endangering her life and the lives of others.
One of the problem in this State the driver license is good for 30 fricken years! Even though this seems cool because going through the renewal meant paying another $20+ every 4-5 years which was annoying but I think the law in AZ needs to change, after a certain age (such as 60), how good a driver license is good for should be dropped to say 3 or 4 years. This would help the Dept. of Motor Vehicles to monitor the elderly more frequently and accurately. I totally understand why elderly hates losing their driving 'privilege', after so many years of something good, hardly anyone would let it go without a fight!

Annie, if she buys a Hummer one of these days with an evil grin on her face, I recommend you pack light and head for the hills pronto!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
I'm glad to hear that you are OK. I cringe every time I see a motorcyle rider blazing by me at 70 mph with no helmet on! I am not a fan of motorcycles, only been on one as a passenger twice (crotch rockets) and it was fun, I have to admit but way too dangerous! You are very lucky.
No Helmet On = I got nothing valuable in my head worth protecting, after all I rather look/feel good than feel/be safer = playing Russian Roulette with a gun that has 365 chambers and one is loaded.
In short, if they want to ride without a helmet, it is their choice, their life.
I would never ride without a helmet again, did try twice for short distances and it freaked me out! Mine is not a crotch rocket, it is a NightHawk CB750.
Visibility is the name of the game so I would think twice before riding a crotch rocket, at least with mine I can stand straight and ride it like a cruiser. Need a lift?

Old 09-28-2007, 04:13 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
One of the problem in this State the driver license is good for 30 fricken years! Even though this seems cool because going through the renewal meant paying another $20+ every 4-5 years which was annoying but I think the law in AZ needs to change, after a certain age (such as 60), how good a driver license is good for should be dropped to say 3 or 4 years. This would help the Dept. of Motor Vehicles to monitor the elderly more frequently and accurately. I totally understand why elderly hates losing their driving 'privilege', after so many years of something good, hardly anyone would let it go without a fight!

Annie, if she buys a Hummer one of these days with an evil grin on her face, I recommend you pack light and head for the hills pronto!!
Hi TurcoLoco ~ I'm so glad you are better now! What a scary thing to have happened.

I know, I think it's crazy how long our licenses last here in AZ. I think it's even good until your 65 now for the ones issued in the last year or so, it used to be 60. I believe, however, after 65 it's only good for 5 years, but I could be wrong.

My Aunt lives in Washington State and their licenses are good for 5 years. But she was 78 years old when she was forcibly stopped from driving. The highway patrolman who pulled her over said her license was to be permanently revoked, but apparently he didn't follow through on the paperwork so it was up to the family to revoke it ourselves.

I totally understand the reluctance as well. I would have a hard time giving up mine. I don't think she could handle a Hummer. She's about 5'3" and 85lbs. soaking wet. Just the thought of it makes me giggle.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:02 AM

647 posts, read 3,340,519 times
Holy cow! I didn't see this the first time you posted - glad you're ok. I saw a near-miss the other day as someone ran a red light. Scared the crappola out of me and it wasn't even me they almost it.

I thought the licenses where good here for 50 yrs. Is it only 30? Either way, it's bizarre. I'd love to know the reasoning behind that law b/c it makes no sense in both a safety way - b/c people aren't being retested - and a fiscal way - the state could be making a LOT more money off us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area