Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times

Advertisements

I listen mainly to Sirius in my car but would switch to X103.9 from time to time. It was a pretty good station. I enjoyed the Punk and Ska program and the mix of 80s alternative, 90s and modern mix (though I don't like most of the current music). The first time I listened I heard Flogging Molly and New Order back to back and knew I'd like the station. This morning I switched it on only to hear the Eagles and a lame morning show.

My limited experience with Phoenix FM radio has been struggling thru carbon copy classic rock radio, country and mariachi. Is there another station in the vein or the former X103.9 with the same mix of music?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
KSLX plays the same 15 songs over and over again, or so it seems. Maybe 103.9 will have a better variety under this format?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,341 times
Bummer. I liked that program and sunday mornings.

KWSS 106.7 is ok. It has some of the same stuff. A pretty decent mix. (in my view)

Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
If 103.9 played Flogging Molly they were not the run in the mill alternative station. Sorry to hear about this format change. If you want to hear classic rock go to a bar and play the jukebox. How boring!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
I just got XM radio, best thing ever. I'll probably never listen to regular radio again. Esp in the mornings, too much yapping and commercials.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
93.3 KDKB Im a KUPD fan myself Holmbergs Morning Sickness the best morning show in the Valley

Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I listen mainly to Sirius in my car but would switch to X103.9 from time to time. It was a pretty good station. I enjoyed the Punk and Ska program and the mix of 80s alternative, 90s and modern mix (though I don't like most of the current music). The first time I listened I heard Flogging Molly and New Order back to back and knew I'd like the station. This morning I switched it on only to hear the Eagles and a lame morning show.

My limited experience with Phoenix FM radio has been struggling thru carbon copy classic rock radio, country and mariachi. Is there another station in the vein or the former X103.9 with the same mix of music?
Thanks for that info. I love Flogging Molly and Mumford and Sons. Love classic rock hope they mix it up better.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I just got XM radio, best thing ever. I'll probably never listen to regular radio again. Esp in the mornings, too much yapping and commercials.
I have Sirius. I think satellite is nice but a little overrated. You still have long commercials even on these services particularly any talk show whether its NFL channel, ESPN, CNN, or Fox. That hasn't changed. You still have the yapping on those stations except the sound is more clear. That is a big disappointment about these services is that they are supposed to be commercial free but a lot of them are not.

Music is a non-factor because I listen to my own music or have an IPod so I would never subscribe to satellite for music and feel like its pretty foolish to do so. For the monthly rate, you can download the music of your choice each month. Most people subscribe to satellite for talk shows/programs not music.

The only real value is the quality of the sound. It's crystal clear with no interruptions due to weather or distance. You can be in the boonies and still get crystal clear sound.

Phoenix FM radio has declined. 10 years ago, this place had a lot of variety on the FM stations and you didn't have the cliche classic rock/top 40/country/mariachi mix you have now. There were edgy stations that played a host of music. Phoenix is fairly trendy/keeping up with the Jones type of community regardless if people can afford it and it seems like a lot of people in the Valley have satellite. With the advent of satellite, people aren't listening to FM radio any longer and so they have to appeal to what limited listeners they have so they play mainstream music.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 AM

426 posts, read 1,306,777 times
I wish I had known about the station before it changed formats.

I moved here a bit more than two years ago and didn't listen to that much FM radio since I couldn't find much worth listening to. More often than not I've ended up up on 93.3 and 97.9.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Ihis morning I switched it on only to hear the Eagles and a lame morning show.
I believe that you are mistaken. Some months ago they decided to give Dave Pratt the morning show. A poor choice in my mind, but the didn't ask me. When Pratt is on he plays the same tired stuff that he has played forever. Once done, they are on their usual format. Their website says that they are playing Sublime at the moment and that the previous song was by AFI.

They screwed up the morning but that is old news. No format change.

I agree with the person who recommended KWSS-LP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area