Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times

Advertisements

As someone who's also lived in both places, I'm curious - why would you move out of Austin and back to Phoenix? Cost of living is much cheaper in Austin and weather is more temperate. You'd be selling in a still-appreciating market and moving to a market that has not yet bounced back from the downturn. The real estate market in Austin is much more stable. Even with the downturn, housing is still very expensive in Phoenix compared to Austin. And in your price range you are driven so much farther out of town - the outlying, more newly developed areas of any metro area are going to be hit harder by real estate downturns than areas closer in because of the excess inventory caused by all the new construction that happened during the upswing.

I don't know - as a realtor, I wouldn't buy in Phoenix just yet. I'm just not convinced that the market has bottomed out yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,968 times
I am astounded. I have been in contact with Shea Homes in several Maricopa developments. I was told today that all developments in the area are having a price increase. Yes an increase. They must be nuts with whats going on in the Phoenix area. I will buy elsewhere and not from Shea.

I guess to stay in our price range its Coolidge or Florence.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:35 PM

133 posts, read 433,308 times
I've never before heard of Coolidge or Florence as part of the "Phoenix area." Based on your criteria, you will probably be quite happy there. However, if you want to be closer to the "City," I would recommend the area of Baseline/75th Avenue - it's where the suburbs, the farms, and the city collide. My wife and I were recently riding bikes along the greenbelt and saw signs advertising prices in the $160s. Pretty good deal, considering that our house nearby has consistently seen modest increases in value throughout the housing crunch.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
As someone who's also lived in both places, I'm curious - why would you move out of Austin and back to Phoenix? Cost of living is much cheaper in Austin and weather is more temperate. You'd be selling in a still-appreciating market and moving to a market that has not yet bounced back from the downturn. The real estate market in Austin is much more stable. Even with the downturn, housing is still very expensive in Phoenix compared to Austin. And in your price range you are driven so much farther out of town - the outlying, more newly developed areas of any metro area are going to be hit harder by real estate downturns than areas closer in because of the excess inventory caused by all the new construction that happened during the upswing.

I don't know - as a realtor, I wouldn't buy in Phoenix just yet. I'm just not convinced that the market has bottomed out yet.
I think you are right about the market has not bottomed out yet in the Phoenix area.
Our house is still appreciating where we are now and we are in a unique area on 1 acre with 100' pines trees.
The temperature may look lower here but at 95degrees and the humidity at 85% it feels hotter than AZ. We lived in Goodyear in a new Fulton home and much to our chagrin sold 4 years ago before the boom.
We are sort of in limbo wanting out of here and waiting to see what the fallout is from the housing market.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post

Another observation is our house is worth $175000 with assessed value of $152000 with annual property taxes of $3600. The similar value in the valley there would be between $1400 and $1600 based on location. yes I realize AZ has income tax and Texas does not but that does not come close to filling the gap.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrennan View Post
I've never before heard of Coolidge or Florence as part of the "Phoenix area." Based on your criteria, you will probably be quite happy there. However, if you want to be closer to the "City," I would recommend the area of Baseline/75th Avenue - it's where the suburbs, the farms, and the city collide. My wife and I were recently riding bikes along the greenbelt and saw signs advertising prices in the $160s. Pretty good deal, considering that our house nearby has consistently seen modest increases in value throughout the housing crunch.

Would you happen to remember the builder in the area of Baseline/75th Avenue ?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Another observation is our house is worth $175000 with assessed value of $152000 with annual property taxes of $3600. The similar value in the valley there would be between $1400 and $1600 based on location. yes I realize AZ has income tax and Texas does not but that does not come close to filling the gap.
I wouldn't even say it's that much for prop taxes. Many homes that are $300 - 400k are $1400 or less. (mine's $1100)

Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 PM

133 posts, read 433,308 times
Quote:
If it can wait until this weekend, I'll gladly head out for another ride and make a note. There are also tons of sites out there with info, including:

New Homes Directory > Southwest Valley*Phoenix (http://www.newhomesdirectory.com/Phoenix/south.asp - broken link)
Laveen New Homes - Find New and Custom Homes in Laveen, arizona
Phoenix-Mesa area new homes: communities in Laveen, Arizona
New homes for sale, local real estate new home listings, houses, models, luxury townhomes for sale - 1

I think the one I had in mind was "Avalon Village," by KB. However, there are a couple of others in the immediate vicinity - all with comparable prices.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,660 times
Quote:
ptbrennan, is that area of Baseline safe? I hear crime reports on the news often in the area near Baseline.

Gregandvicky, based upon your price range, I recommend also looking in these NW areas: Sun City, Sun City Festival (all the way out on Bell Road), and Desert Oasis (on Grand Ave past the 303). Welcome soon to AZ!

Old 09-07-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
ptbrennan, is that area of Baseline safe? I hear crime reports on the news often in the area near Baseline.

Gregandvicky, based upon your price range, I recommend also looking in these NW areas: Sun City, Sun City Festival (all the way out on Bell Road), and Desert Oasis (on Grand Ave past the 303). Welcome soon to AZ!
Thanks.
We used to live in Goodyear and are familiar with most of the areas. Moved to Texas 4 years ago and missed the profit on the property boom, but seems now it may be bust. We wanted to move back sooner but real estate prices went crazy. It seems now we can afford the Queen Creek or Maricopa areas.
Hope to be back soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area