Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Another observation is our house is worth $175000 with assessed value of $152000 with annual property taxes of $3600. The similar value in the valley there would be between $1400 and $1600 based on location. yes I realize AZ has income tax and Texas does not but that does not come close to filling the gap.
You brought up an excellent point there.

As I have stated in the past: I vastly prefer paying some state income tax and up to 7-8% sales tax on non food items vs. assessments of 2-4% per $100 of property value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You brought up an excellent point there.

As I have stated in the past: I vastly prefer paying some state income tax and up to 7-8% sales tax on non food items vs. assessments of 2-4% per $100 of property value.

We pay 8.25 sales tax including most food items, It also appears since the RE market here is holding and even increasing approx 2.4% this year that appraisal districts are going to increase their legal limit increases by 10% this year on assessed value.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:25 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
There's houses in the 160's now at I-10 and Cotton Lane in Goodyear if you would prefer going back there to living in Maricopa. Sure would be a lot more convenient for most things. (Goodyear has EXPOLODED since you left four years ago. You can find just about everything there now).

Old 09-08-2007, 08:45 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There's houses in the 160's now at I-10 and Cotton Lane in Goodyear if you would prefer going back there to living in Maricopa. Sure would be a lot more convenient for most things. (Goodyear has EXPOLODED since you left four years ago. You can find just about everything there now).
I am unable to find them online. Do you know who the builder is?
Thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 10:10 AM

647 posts, read 3,340,787 times
Quote:
Thanks
Not sure if these are the builders mentioned, but I remember seeing a few signs when we were looking out there. Check the following builder sites:

Beazer, Taylor Woodrow, Pulte, Shea, Fulton. You might check the other typical builders too, just to see if they have anything in areas you like. Capital Pacific, Standard Pacific, Element, Morrison, Lennar, etc.

Coolidge and Florence would not be places I'd want to buy - they're not very nice cities, IMO. Anthem at Merrill Ranch (Del Web/Pulte) near Florence, is quite nice, but it's WAY the heck out there and there's really nothing there right now. You'd have to go to Gilbert if you need anything other then Walmart. SanTan Heights, in Queen Creek is nice and VERY affordable. It's on Hunt Hwy around Ellsworth. Not much in the way of shopping, but they're building a Super Target shopping center and it's closer to Gilbert then Merrill Ranch. Most of the above builders are there, as well as Nicholas and Elite Communities. They're all offering HUGE incentives now. I know 2 people who recently bought there and got fabulous deals. Also, the San Tan Mountains are nice.

No matter which builder you're looking at, you need to visit in person or try calling b/c the builders don't list their real incentives online. Often, if you're there in person and express interest in a house but concern about the price, they'll give you even a better deal then they first offered. Most of the builders are seriously hurting now and need to dump their houses.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:23 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Thanks
I drove over that way this morning to have a look. I guess I was wrong. "Best" prices I could find was from the 190s. I know it was less than that in the past couple months. Maybe they raised prices or only had a couple specs that they put up a sign for. Anyway, the lowest prices are for Beazer and Centex. Most of the other houses in the area (Canyon Trails) have signs stating from the 200's to 400s.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:39 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
I think this maybe a good time to move back with the price of houses down some. I understand this is a buyers market. Six months down the line I think housing is going to be cheaper and there is talk that the interest rates are going to go down too. If I had the time I would wait. U can always do a short term rental deal in the area that suits your fancy. I think the thing to keep in mind is will u be able to re-sale well if u need too? Happy hunting

Old 09-09-2007, 04:18 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
We have been surprised to see some of the developments in Maricopa raising their prices lately. I wonder if it is sign of things to come. My daughters friend waited a week to make a purchase and it cost him $8,000 more for the home.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:36 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,038 times
I would wait 6 mos still 3k plus repos avalible and builders are going to go lower based on that and them shopping for cheaper labor right now and getting it. Construction slow down means cheaper labor and materials which in turn will bring prices lower.wait it out its going to go lower

Old 09-09-2007, 05:00 PM

331 posts, read 956,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We have been surprised to see some of the developments in Maricopa raising their prices lately. I wonder if it is sign of things to come. My daughters friend waited a week to make a purchase and it cost him $8,000 more for the home.
That is interesting considering Pulte/Del Webb in Anthem at Merrill Ranch just lowered their prices about $10K for the smaller homes and even more for the larger models. They seem very desperate to sell and I wouldn't be surprised if it drops even lower into the slower, winter months. The month of December, to me, seems like the ideal time to buy since the builders will want to get homes out before the year ends... On the other hand, I don't see how prices can go much lower... the base price for a 1600+ SF home is only $142K, the smallest home is $125K... any lower and the mortgage payments would be CHEAPER than the $800 for the typical rent. So, I don't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area