Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM

647 posts, read 3,342,911 times

Advertisements

I personally wouldn't live in Maricopa or Casa Grande if I were in your position. I'd much prefer to live closer to the city where I could go out easily, meet a more diverse crowd, hang out, etc. Maricopa and CG are the epitomy of suburbia, IMO - far away suburbs! I'd much prefer to live in one of the condos on Mill Ave or similar where it's closer to social prospects. However, if having a decent sized house with a yard is more important then close proximity to bars, restaurants, etc., then I'd look into Chandler. It's a tiny bit less family-centric then Gilbert is. There seems to be a lot more young, single people there, it's closer to Tempe and the 10, and there are more happy hour and bar options. If you're not into HH, apologies for assuming you are - I'm just thinking back to when I was your age.

I do agree that condo resales aren't great and if you think you'd want to sell within the next 5 yrs or so, maybe it's not a great option. But they've got a lot of neat buildings in the works or done which would put you in good locations.

As well, resales in Maricopa and Casa Grand would be really tough so if you think you'll be moving any time soon, I'd rule those cities out for that reason too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:07 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,863,351 times
Well, here is something to look into. Not for everybody. Check out the area west of Downtown. Start looking at Central Avenue to 27th Avenue (from east to west) and Thomas to above the freeway (from North to South). Some of these neighborhoods have already been gentrified and will be out of your price range...but if you go south and west you will start to see iffy areas that some brave souls are trying to gentrify. You might be able to find a cottage or bungalow type house that has already had some improvements made. As I said, not for everybody and it would be a challenge, but you would be in an area where a lot of cool stuff is happening...downtown would be 5 min away, the airport 15. Plus as downtown develops, I'm betting these areas are going to become more and more desireable.

Not putting down any of the towns, such as Laveen or Tolleson or Casa Grande, etc....but you would be moving from the fire into the frying pan. These are family communities, far away from everything "cool"...not much for a single in my opinion.

Also, check out south Scottsdale around Scottsdale Road and McDowell. Stay east of Scottsdale Road and check out the areas just north of McDowell up to Indian School. I have a feeling this area is going to explode. It is kind of junky looking now...just a bunch of ranch houses with too many cars parked on the street...but they are building an Az. State Univ. campus right there and it will surely make that area very desireable. Some of the little brick ranch houses can be very cute when rehabilitated. About 15 minutes to the airport 20-25 to down town. Plus downtown Scottsdale is only 5 minutes away and there is ALOT of clubs/nightlife/restaurants, etc.

Good luck!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM

133 posts, read 433,609 times
I think Arun would agree with me that Laveen is a great in-between for a lot of your priorities. Being young, you want to be close to the central Phoenix area. But you also want spacious and affordable housing. My wife and I are quite happy here, living in the 51st Ave/Baseline area.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:55 PM

And by the way, downtown = 15 minutes. Tempe = 20 minutes. Scottsdale = 25-30 minutes. Glendale = 20 minutes.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:52 PM

34 posts, read 131,551 times
thanks for the input so far...

looks like...we have laveen, tolleson, laveen, west of phoenix, laveen, etc

seems like laveen is winning...

as for the gentrified areas in phoenix? How safe are those? Whats the pros/cons on going with older home versus new home?

thx

i am still welcome to more thoughts

Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 PM

I'm a huge fan of South Scottsdale and Arcadia if you're looking at more established neighborhoods with character. For my wife and me, however, we didn't have the energy for a fixer-upper or the stress of moving into an area and hoping that our neighbors would follow suit in improving the place. That's one of the main reasons we went with a new house in a neighborhood with a strong HOA.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoLucky View Post
thanks for the input so far...

looks like...we have laveen, tolleson, laveen, west of phoenix, laveen, etc

seems like laveen is winning...

as for the gentrified areas in phoenix? How safe are those? Whats the pros/cons on going with older home versus new home?

thx

i am still welcome to more thoughts
The area I mentioned above (north of McDowell west to 27th Ave) is iffy at best in the safety zone.

Old homes are a money pit. The reason I mentioned these areas are that they are close to downtown and the airport and very trendy.

I am looking at buying some properties in this area and the Scottsdale Rd./McDowell area. I know it is going to be a pain fixing them up, but I am pretty sure these areas are going to be a fabulous deal in the long run.

I hate negative people coming on this site and putting areas down...but be careful about buying in Laveen or the west outskirts. If you are a single person...why buy in a "family" area?

If you want new construction, look at Cave Creek and Tatum area. Much better for a single.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:44 AM

I would also add the 7th St. and Indian School area if you can find something decent. However, this is another area like the one near McDowell/27th Ave.

Elmonellie put forth the first valid criticism of Laveen that I've seen yet. It is more of a suburban family atmosphere in a lot of ways, but it works well for my wife and me. We have found mostly families or young couples in the area, along with a few single people mixed in. But most of the people we've met moved here for generally pragmatic reasons and optimism for what's to come.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:00 AM

34 posts, read 131,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrennan View Post
I would also add the 7th St. and Indian School area if you can find something decent. However, this is another area like the one near McDowell/27th Ave.

Elmonellie put forth the first valid criticism of Laveen that I've seen yet. It is more of a suburban family atmosphere in a lot of ways, but it works well for my wife and me. We have found mostly families or young couples in the area, along with a few single people mixed in. But most of the people we've met moved here for generally pragmatic reasons and optimism for what's to come.
how is it over @ laveen? i had a co-worker who lived there and she loved it?

but goodness...seems like people here bash it...outside of Emonellie point...is it that bad?

Old 09-08-2007, 05:55 PM

I don't think Laveen is a bad area. I do think it's a "family" area an if you are a young couple or a young couple with children might be a fine choice. It is affordable, with new housing. I just don't think it is the best choice for a single...but that is just my opinion.

I was downtown today for lunch (great Italian deli Calabria's at Roosevelt and 4th). If I was single and worked downtown and had to get to the airport, I would certainly check this area out. The area that looks to me to be the best value is North of the freeway and west of Central. It starts getting pretty scary once you pass 15th ave...but I think those areas are going to be very desireable because of location. The crime is a factor. Might not be a fit for you. Check it out...it will be fun. Downtown is really starting to get nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area