Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:34 PM

34 posts, read 131,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
I don't think Laveen is a bad area. I do think it's a "family" area an if you are a young couple or a young couple with children might be a fine choice. It is affordable, with new housing. I just don't think it is the best choice for a single...but that is just my opinion.

I was downtown today for lunch (great Italian deli Calabria's at Roosevelt and 4th). If I was single and worked downtown and had to get to the airport, I would certainly check this area out. The area that looks to me to be the best value is North of the freeway and west of Central. It starts getting pretty scary once you pass 15th ave...but I think those areas are going to be very desireable because of location. The crime is a factor. Might not be a fit for you. Check it out...it will be fun. Downtown is really starting to get nice!
its mostly "lofts" in downtown and the base models are like 300K for 800 sq ft...and then u have some historic homes...that need tons of repairs...

there is really no affordable housing in downtown...i hope it happens soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 10:59 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,327,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
With your criteria, you can buy a home in Maryvale. A 2000 sf home for $200k, not gonna happen if you want a safe place to live. You're looking more at $250 min. The cities you mentioned are all suburbia with families. It sounds like you want the cool downtown atmosphere on a poor mans budget and in the suburbs, I don't think it's realistic. I'm sorry if I sound rude, that's not my intention. Good luck!
250K will get you a poorly made home over an hours drive from phoenix in a very nice area. Anything closer in, if you don't want to get shot - think 450K. Welcome to LA South baby!

Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou-Chavez View Post
I am a licensed real estate professional and I believe you can get a fantastic purchase in either Maricopa or Casa grande. Casa Grande will open a huge new mall at the end of this year which will bring many younger people to this area. I moved here to Casa Grande 1 year ago and I love it. You should at least drive here and see it. You would be surprised what $200,000 will buy.

Good Luck
Mary Lou

Don't forget to book your hotel rooms........... it's Far

Old 09-08-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I personally wouldn't live in Maricopa or Casa Grande if I were in your position. I'd much prefer to live closer to the city where I could go out easily, meet a more diverse crowd, hang out, etc. Maricopa and CG are the epitomy of suburbia, IMO - far away suburbs! I'd much prefer to live in one of the condos on Mill Ave or similar where it's closer to social prospects. However, if having a decent sized house with a yard is more important then close proximity to bars, restaurants, etc., then I'd look into Chandler. It's a tiny bit less family-centric then Gilbert is. There seems to be a lot more young, single people there, it's closer to Tempe and the 10, and there are more happy hour and bar options. If you're not into HH, apologies for assuming you are - I'm just thinking back to when I was your age.

I do agree that condo resales aren't great and if you think you'd want to sell within the next 5 yrs or so, maybe it's not a great option. But they've got a lot of neat buildings in the works or done which would put you in good locations.

As well, resales in Maricopa and Casa Grand would be really tough so if you think you'll be moving any time soon, I'd rule those cities out for that reason too.
Tempe is doing so much building of Condos. Unfortunately, I didn't see any for less than 650K. Maybe there are some 20-30 year old apartments that have been turned into condos that she could look at. I suppose it's better than nothing. Tempe and ASU are both growing rapidly. Mill avenue is great.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 09-08-2007 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoLucky View Post
thanks for the input so far...

looks like...we have laveen, tolleson, laveen, west of phoenix, laveen, etc

seems like laveen is winning...

as for the gentrified areas in phoenix? How safe are those? Whats the pros/cons on going with older home versus new home?

thx

i am still welcome to more thoughts
Those areas you are looking into that you just named-- make sure you wear your bullet proof vest while there........

Old 09-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
The area I mentioned above (north of McDowell west to 27th Ave) is iffy at best in the safety zone.

Old homes are a money pit. The reason I mentioned these areas are that they are close to downtown and the airport and very trendy.

I am looking at buying some properties in this area and the Scottsdale Rd./McDowell area. I know it is going to be a pain fixing them up, but I am pretty sure these areas are going to be a fabulous deal in the long run.

I hate negative people coming on this site and putting areas down...but be careful about buying in Laveen or the west outskirts. If you are a single person...why buy in a "family" area?

If you want new construction, look at Cave Creek and Tatum area. Much better for a single.

Good luck.
If she doesn't mind the looong drive. Surprise will give her more bang for her buck and she will be safe.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,863,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
If she doesn't mind the looong drive. Surprise will give her more bang for her buck and she will be safe.
Surprise is another "family" area. One of the orig posts says that she wants to get out of this type of area.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:10 AM

94 posts, read 349,782 times
Default Downtown Phoenix

Have you checked into the historic districts just north of downtown? With the falling home prices you could get something nice for $200K. However, it would not be what you are describing(that sounds more like a new build cookie cutter house) Downtown has lots of young people. Have you checked out first fridays? Also, there are lots of awesome local owned restaurants and coffee shops....Cibo and Lux are two of my favorites. The houses are smaller and mostly one story but with all the development going on in downtown and light rail coming in they are bound to appreciate. Also, your commute would be awesome! You are also close to all the nightlife in Scottsdale and Biltmore areas.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil View Post
Have you checked into the historic districts just north of downtown? With the falling home prices you could get something nice for $200K. However, it would not be what you are describing(that sounds more like a new build cookie cutter house) Downtown has lots of young people. Have you checked out first fridays? Also, there are lots of awesome local owned restaurants and coffee shops....Cibo and Lux are two of my favorites. The houses are smaller and mostly one story but with all the development going on in downtown and light rail coming in they are bound to appreciate. Also, your commute would be awesome! You are also close to all the nightlife in Scottsdale and Biltmore areas.
Which historic areas are going for $200k? I only know ones that are $400k. They are not cheap.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Which historic areas are going for $200k? I only know ones that are $400k. They are not cheap.
Agree. And they are not making more of them so the demand/supply curve is not in the buyers favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area