Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,519 times

Advertisements

A friend and I moved into one of his client's houses (someone's car he worked on before). We were promised the house would be painted and tiled after we moved in. It was not cleaned before we moved in either. The carpet and walls are stained, there was lots of mold, there's dust caked onto the ceiling and top of the walls, no carpet in my room just split and glue stained concrete, the backyard is a disaster zone, and there's still the previous resident's trash in the garage. (We've slowly been throwing it away but with only one trashcan it's hard with how much there is!)

Well, on top of no promises being kept, he also never fixes our broken appliances. The washer leaks and the dryer doesn't dry. The dishwasher was "fixed" twice and said to be broken. Both the repairman and myself called about it.

Now, I'm being ignored. He ignores every single phone call I make and when I leave messages I hear nothing in return. A while ago he complained asking for rent but I had to go to the hospital and had to use all of the money in my savings account to do so. I told him I would pay him my amount in a week. I haven't heard from him since. Its been over a month I believe since we last talked and I've left countless messages.

I do not have his e-mail or his address. Otherwise I would fill out online complaint forms and send them to him. But that's impossible when our only connection is a phone he ignores.

How can I get out of this lease?

Everyone says write everything down and present it to him but that IS NOT POSSIBLE. I have NO WAY to get a hold of him other than phone.

PLEASE help in any way you can. I have to get out of this lease before I go absolutely crazy.

Also, I do NOT want to break the lease illegally and have to pay a bunch of fines. This guy doesn't deserve a dime of my money at this point so having a broken lease on my rental history and owing thousands doesn't sound fair to me.

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

- Kati
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,776,396 times
On this page, look for the Tenants Rights Handbook. It downloads in pdf form.

Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

It will tell you exactly what you need to do.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:38 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Sounds bad, Kati . . .

To obtain the owner's address, try doing a search on the property's address with the County Assessor's Office.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,519 times
That didn't really help at all, but I'll keep looking over that site. So far all it says is I'd still have to pay fines, which I find completely unfair and refuse to do. In all honesty I'd rather file bankruptcy than pay this scumbag early termination fees.

Can anyone help me find a way WITHOUT paying fees?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,184 times
This is not the appropriate place to seek legal advice, as it's an anonymous internet forum. You've been give some good resources so far. If you need further assistance, I suggest you contact a lawyer.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiriot View Post
A friend and I moved into one of his client's houses (someone's car he worked on before). We were promised the house would be painted and tiled after we moved in. It was not cleaned before we moved in either. The carpet and walls are stained, there was lots of mold, there's dust caked onto the ceiling and top of the walls, no carpet in my room just split and glue stained concrete, the backyard is a disaster zone, and there's still the previous resident's trash in the garage. (We've slowly been throwing it away but with only one trashcan it's hard with how much there is!)

Well, on top of no promises being kept, he also never fixes our broken appliances. The washer leaks and the dryer doesn't dry. The dishwasher was "fixed" twice and said to be broken. Both the repairman and myself called about it.

Now, I'm being ignored. He ignores every single phone call I make and when I leave messages I hear nothing in return. A while ago he complained asking for rent but I had to go to the hospital and had to use all of the money in my savings account to do so. I told him I would pay him my amount in a week. I haven't heard from him since. Its been over a month I believe since we last talked and I've left countless messages.

I do not have his e-mail or his address. Otherwise I would fill out online complaint forms and send them to him. But that's impossible when our only connection is a phone he ignores.

How can I get out of this lease?

Everyone says write everything down and present it to him but that IS NOT POSSIBLE. I have NO WAY to get a hold of him other than phone.

PLEASE help in any way you can. I have to get out of this lease before I go absolutely crazy.

Also, I do NOT want to break the lease illegally and have to pay a bunch of fines. This guy doesn't deserve a dime of my money at this point so having a broken lease on my rental history and owing thousands doesn't sound fair to me.

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

- Kati

How could you have a signed lease without having the landlords contact information? Did you not get a copy of the lease? Did you get anything in writing? Can you prove HE broke the lease? Do you have before and after photos?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Moderator cut: snip The second you entered this dump you should have walked..but you stayed - and by doing so you eccepted a substandard way of living...Your fault - you should have had some pride.

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-01-2012 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: crude

Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Careful reading of the OP also indicates that they have not paid their rent. Wonder what the other side of this story would be?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Careful reading of the OP also indicates that they have not paid their rent. Wonder what the other side of this story would be?
Right. If the rent's being withheld because of these complaints, the OP needs to know that the right to withhold rent is not that broad... read the statutes, and then go pay for (or get 30 minutes free) from a lawyer, instead of getting advice here.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM

70 posts, read 209,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Hmm I'm wondering if maybe the house is in foreclosure and the landlord she knows is a scammer? Collected what he could then beat feet. I know if I was the Landlord in this situation the first time I didn't receive a rent check I be all over trying to get my money. and you would have had a certified letter stating the arrears and demanding payment.
Kind of odd that the place wasn't cleaned and he doesn't return calls. I'd check with the county and see who the owner of record is and hope it's the same person you were sending the rent checks to. And if it was me I'd withold paying rent(put it into a seperate account so when the defeciencies are fixed you can pay up) until all is fixed. At this point what do you have to lose?
These are just my opinions and not any type of legal advice. Do what you feel is best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area