Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
1057th is that a good thing?

with a cursory search the best data I could find was that in 2004 there were 18,436 high schools nationwide so 1,057th in would put it at better than the top 6% in the nation based upon 2004 numbers. I am assuming that there have been more high schools created since 2004 which would place the ranking even higher for 2007. Numbers dont lie, sounds like a fairly good public education to me. Maybe for once those realtors arent lying!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,327,283 times
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
1057th is that a good thing?
Out of 23 THOUSAND high schools in the United States alone - yes, being in the top 1000 is fantastic!
Especially on this list because the more affluent schools actually have to show a higher progress level!

Grant it, there are very few high schools in AZ that made it. I was trying to prove that there ARE excellent schools in AZ -- especially Scottsdale/North Phoenix (Phoenix taxes, Scottsdale mailing address)
Look, I prefer the east coast, but there is no reason to lie about facts. Scottsdale is NOT all bad. I love it here.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,401 times
I agree! Phoenix, Scottsdale, Az, etc. all have a fair share of the bad with the good. I am not going to sit here and cheerlead pretending that it doesent but To make blanket, hateful statments about anyplace is completely idiotic. On occasion I can be this places worst critic but I have also traveled the world extensively and look forward to coming home everytime.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Garbage in:garbage out---------the public schools back east are allegedly better than here. Translation; I was a poor student for various reasons.

I never did well in the DC suburban schools; perhaps I may have had a better time here in Arizona; hard to say.

That is in the past; and if anything, posting on these Internet boards has helped my spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. tremendously

Old 09-08-2007, 06:43 PM

24 posts, read 23,456 times
Pinnacle H.S. in Phoenix is # 625 ... so much for the "Scottsdale is better" propaganda that the realtors keep pushing and everyone keeps believing.

Dopes.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:11 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,327,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfthorley View Post
Pinnacle H.S. in Phoenix is # 625 ... so much for the "Scottsdale is better" propaganda that the realtors keep pushing and everyone keeps believing.

Dopes.
Pinnacle uses a Scottsdale selling address with realtors by the way. Pinnacle is the only Phoenix/PV school on there. PV and Phoenix schools are generally terrible. Scottsdale has consistantly better schools, two on the list and all but Coronado are excelling. Mesa "used" to be good, but they are not very dependable anymore.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Pinnacle uses a Scottsdale selling address with realtors by the way. Pinnacle is the only Phoenix/PV school on there. PV and Phoenix schools are generally terrible. Scottsdale has consistantly better schools, two on the list and all but Coronado are excelling. Mesa "used" to be good, but they are not very dependable anymore.
Actually there are a total of 3 Phoenix schools just in the top 1,000, I didn't even go through the rest of the list. That's amusing that realtors use Pinnacle as being in "Scottsdale" like Kierland does when it's actually in Phoenix.

Fake is as fake does.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Scottsdale bashing strikes me as envy. These whiners are pathetic losers who could not make it here. Scottsdale is a metaphor for the success that has eluded them here in the Phoenix area. They blame everything on the weather, the traffic, rude people, scorpions and, of course, the valley city that is emblematic of achievement, Scottsdale. It does not take a careful reading of the posts to realize that they themselves are the root of their ills. Why try to understand them? They don't matter and they will fade into the internet soon enough.
I completely agree with this! What many people fail to understand is that a good share of these so called "rich snobs" are people who own businesses and create jobs for everyone else. And so what if they live in larger homes & drive fancier cars? Sections of the Valley which are famous for being a little more upscale (e.g. Biltmore Estates, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, etc.) have ALWAYS been targets for slander by the jealous types in the less affluent sections.

Unfortunately, these kind of childish insults occur all over the country. Look how much bashing that wealthy California communities (Beverly Hills, La Jolla, etc.) have to endure. It's nothing but class envy, and all it does is create more hostile attitudes (us vs. them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
you don't need to "make it" to drive a fancy car or get a boob job.
What I'm curious about is: how does anybody KNOW that a total stranger has a had a "boob job"? Some women (and some men, for that matter) just might be blessed with large bosoms. It puzzles me how you could tell if somebody has breast implants ... unless you're getting a little "hands on experience"!
()

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You can't blame Scottsdale for the above examples! You know who is to blame?
The parents! Yes, they are to blame for raising their kids the way they turned out. Of course there is the genetical factor and a bit of the environment/friends that could easily have some affect on the person but the most of the character a person has is home made.
I think today's kids lack a good buttwhuppin' when due, called me old skool but that is the way I see it. When the verbal training fails even if applies correctly, then it is time for a little bit of physical education!
This is so true ... but I think part of it could be that many parents are fearful of being arrested, sued, or having their kids taken away by CPS if they lay a hand on them. That's how society has become: too protective of children to the point where anybody is scared to use effective discipline. The paddlings that kids used to receive on a regular basis would now be labeled as "abuse".

I also blame the parents for having kids when they can't really afford it in the first place. These are the types who sponge off of taxpayer dollars for FREE public education, and then bellyache about the schools being less than standard. If the system was privatized, there would be much higher literacy & graduation rates than there are now.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:56 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
I am fairly new in the area but even if I was not, I couldn't care less about what people are driving or if they were acting fake, etc. God knows, I have seen my share in OC and to some I might have even acted that way at one point or another but I definitely do not anvy those who are doing financially much better than myself.

I was thinking about this whole 'Scottsdale' bashing issue and one thing became quite clear to me, I much rather have cities that look upper scale, cleaner with fancier houses and cars with some snobby people than neigborhoods looking all ghetto with junky cars/houses occupied by riff-raff and gangsters.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I was thinking about this whole 'Scottsdale' bashing issue and one thing became quite clear to me, I much rather have cities that look upper scale, cleaner with fancier houses and cars with some snobby people than neigborhoods looking all ghetto with junky cars/houses occupied by riff-raff and gangsters.
Ok but that's been one of the central themes here. Over the past year the clean upper class look has been leaving Scottsdale and is being replaced with ghetto and junk cars and riff raff and gangsters. Especially now with the credit crash and all the luxury cars and homes that are being repo'ed in Scottsdale. Proving that it was one big credit-fueled illusion all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area