Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 14,960 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved to Phoenix and are getting used to our new A/C-dependent life. We are beginning to wonder if the A/C at our apartment is not working up to par, even for this hot time of the year. In order to come home to 78 degrees after work in the evenings, we have to leave the A/C unit running constantly all day long (i.e. it doesn't reach 78 degrees and then click on and off to hold it at that temp). It is not that the thermostat is broken because if we set it at 85+ it will click on and off, but in order to get the temp at 78, the A/C has to be running all the time. If we wanted to keep it at 75 we couldn't because the A/C is already on all the time and can only get to 78. We've had an A/C guy look at the unit and he says it is working fine. But, keeping the A/C running 24/7 just to maintain 78 degrees seems a little extreme. We haven't gotten our first electricity bill, but are nervous that it is going to be outrageous. Is this kind of extreme A/C use normal around here?? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 11:25 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
How big is your house? Do you have just one A/C unit?

The part outside is called the condenser. Look for the part that has
metal fins all around. The fins act just like a radiator in a car and get
rid of the heat.

They should all have space around them like _|_|_|_|_|_|_
and not be all 'smushed' together like \\\\\\\\\\\\\\
(hope the illustratations make sense).

Also, go outside and see if your windows are leaking cold air (the
opposite of winter when cold air leaks inside).

Those are the quickest and easiest things to check. If OK, the
insulation in your house is terrible. Be of good cheer though; You
are heading into the six months were your A/C won't run at all.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 14,960 times
Thanks, mortimer. We've got a lot of things working against us---it's a three story townhome, 1200 sq. ft. The condenser is outside on the ground, and the other half is upstairs in the hall in the third floor. The first floor is an uncooled garage, and the upper two floors are living space. We've got western exposure, too, about 5 windows that just bake in the afternoons.

I like the idea about checking for cool air leaking out, but all of our living space windows are up on the second and third floors.

Yea, we are counting the days (and our pennies) 'til Oct. 1.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:44 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot in AZ View Post
Thanks, mortimer. We've got a lot of things working against us---it's a three story townhome, 1200 sq. ft. The condenser is outside on the ground, and the other half is upstairs in the hall in the third floor. The first floor is an uncooled garage, and the upper two floors are living space. We've got western exposure, too, about 5 windows that just bake in the afternoons.

I like the idea about checking for cool air leaking out, but all of our living space windows are up on the second and third floors.

That sounds exactly like one of our last apts that I had. We lived there for 2 1/2 years and I don't remember any problems with the AC not working properly like you say yours is. We always left it on at 80-82 or so when we were not home and turned it down to 75-78 when we were home. Sounds like your unit isn't working right. It's supposed to do what you tell it to do.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:51 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
If youre expecting it to cool down on 10/1, youve got another thing coming. Its been 100 degrees and over in early October.

And yes, running the A/C non-stop is a fact of life for 6 months of the year in the Sonoran Desert.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:24 PM

235 posts, read 922,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And yes, running the A/C non-stop is a fact of life for 6 months of the year in the Sonoran Desert.
yes, it's fact of life, just like running the heat 9 months a year up north is.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:29 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,490 times
Quote:
The first floor is an uncooled garage, and the upper two floors are living space.
This is the problem. I have one bedroom in my house that is over our garage. On average the room will be 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house due to the hot air rising from the garage.

I've always been curious what the cost difference would be to insulate and cool the garage compared to an A/C unit running full time like yours is doing.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Our new tenant complained that the A/C ran all the time at our town house which was only a year old. We had a service guy come and check and the coils were all gooped up with construction junk. We had them cleaned and serviced and it is running fine now. Worth having it checked because the alternative for us was replacing the condenser.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
yes, it's fact of life, just like running the heat 9 months a year up north is.
Try maybe 5-6 months at best.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 PM

235 posts, read 922,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Try maybe 5-6 months at best.
I lived in Chicago for 23 years and had the heat on in every month except June, July and August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area