Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 05:55 PM

136 posts, read 460,812 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

I'm currently looking to move to the valley in January. I recently graduated college and took a job in Atlanta that just isn't working out. I'd really like to get back to Arizona when my lease ends in December. My question is, how soon is too soon to begin applying online. Most postings are looking for people ASAP I don't want to jump the gun, but I don't want to scramble for a job at the last minute. Im looking for retail managment, or personal banker jobs Keep in mind that I am applying from another state. Will this be a pain? Has anyone had any expieriense with this situation, if so what is the best way to ease the transition? any advice would be fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 06:57 PM

202 posts, read 981,218 times
Better to start too early than too late. If the offers come too soon, just tell them you are not ready and turn them down.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
I was in the same boat 4 months earlier. I do work in the IT field however.
Anyhow, from what I experienced almost all employers would want the suitable candidate to start just as soon as the screening process is complete.
In plain English, if they consider you a good candidate and want to interview you, they would want you to be available asap, you being out of State will definitely shy away companies who are in need of someone pronto. Heck most employers would probably notice your address and may not even call you back.
I am not sure about the field you are in but I suggest roughly about 3-4 week prior to your actualy move date would be a good time to apply for jobs but have your resume updated and available on at least a few different job sites for those who might consider you and also wouldn't mind waiting but I doubt any employer who really needs to fill the position would like to wait more than 2 or 3 weeks tops. When you are ready to apply for jobs, I would recommend using a local friend's/relatives AZ address. As far as the phone goes, local number would be nice but not nearly as important since most of the trnasplant do not change their cell numbers right away for whatever reason so just make something up if they bother to ask. But I would not pull this trick unless you are within a week or two of moving down here or be able to fly out if they wanted an in-person interview!

Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
I'd say about a month before you move. It can take some time to do the whole process of applying, waiting for them to get back to you, interview, check references, call back, blah, blah, blah. You can usually stall a bit for a week or two. Sometimes, if you have a hard to get a hold of reference that helps with buying time, unless of course they say forget it. But if they REALLY want you then they will wait it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area