Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 AM

16 posts, read 32,072 times

Advertisements

Please tell me that you have green chile in Phoenix. As you might guess from other threads I've started, we're thinking of moving to the area. We love the hotter chilies...Hatch, especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,000,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvGreenChile View Post
Please tell me that you have green chile in Phoenix. As you might guess from other threads I've started, we're thinking of moving to the area. We love the hotter chilies...Hatch, especially.
Indeed. Go to Yelp and scan restaurant menus. You'll fine no shortage of green chilies (as least not if your looking for green chili beef).

Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
Quote:
Better yet, you can buy fresh roasted green chile's and take them home to peel them yourself. Many Food City grocery stores have them. All Pro's Ranch Market locations have them, usually four different varieties of roasted chile's if you get there in the morning.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 PM

134 posts, read 243,449 times
[mod cut-- restaurant closed]

Quote:

Pffft hatch chilis might as well be a green pepper. You want heat go for a nice Red Savina, or even a regular Habanero. They both grow fantastic in Phoenix and will put some sweat on your head. Super easy to grow also, just lots of water and direct sun. I used to grow both varieties along with thai chilis with next to zero maintenance. Fresh peppers are the best!!

If growing isn't your thing every little Mexican carniceria will have tons and tons of habanera sauces from down in Sonora available for very cheap. There are tons of different types with slightly different 'character' and heat levels to try, but the Castillo Red habanera sauce...oh lord that stuff is like burning liquid crack for food. I think PHX has hands down the best selection of hot sauce anywhere off the internet, and many of the varieties of small-batch sauces you can pick up in carnicerias or mom&pop stores you won't even find on the internet.

Last edited by observer53; 03-04-2012 at 07:44 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 12:21 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,722,822 times
Just tried Rosita's other soup. Way superior to the Albondigas. It has seafood with cayenne spices and onions. The $5.95 soup bowls are huge regardless. Very generous portions all the way around.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 PM

I drove by Cervantes near Mill and Southern today. They are only open M-F ???? HUH ???? Not open on weekends being right next to ASU ?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Totally agree - but the OP likes Garcia's type Mexican food. Nothing wrong with that, but I doubt she would enjoy the authenticity of Restaurant Mexico.
Rosita's as stated has far better enchilada's than Garcia's. I look forward to checking more authentic spots in the near future. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 AM

461 posts, read 783,099 times
I used to work at Garcia's when it was owned by the family. Great margaritas and decent food. Now, imo, it's horrible. Taco Bell has more flavor.

When relatives come to visit, they always want to go to a good Mexican restaurant but don't want to drive too far from Scottsdale so we end up going to Los Olivos. The food is so-so to just plain bad, margaritas are decent but I'd like a better alternative.

Some friends have mentioned Don Jose's on Thomas around 37th street. I haven't been able to go yet, but is it worth a try?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 AM

122 posts, read 273,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
I used to work at Garcia's when it was owned by the family. Great margaritas and decent food. Now, imo, it's horrible. Taco Bell has more flavor.

When relatives come to visit, they always want to go to a good Mexican restaurant but don't want to drive too far from Scottsdale so we end up going to Los Olivos. The food is so-so to just plain bad, margaritas are decent but I'd like a better alternative.

Some friends have mentioned Don Jose's on Thomas around 37th street. I haven't been able to go yet, but is it worth a try?
I don't live in Scottsdale anymore, so other posters may have more up to date suggestions. While not great, Julio G's (Indian School just east of Miller) used to be okay. Usually loud and sometimes slow, but I can't say I ever had a bad meal there. Another poster said Tee Pee's is still good, and it's more authentic. It's just outside of Scottsdale at Indian School and 42nd Street.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post

I used to go to Don Jose's years ago, and liked it. Wonderful cheesy enchiladas with just the right sauce, among other things. It was closed for years, and reopened relatively recently. I haven't been back yet, but I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area