Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 04:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Thanks dad!

What is your question, BTW?
Who is Solomon?
I'll take Real Estate for $600 Alex.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM

90 posts, read 150,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Daughter said that they do have equity in the home but the BOA loan officer was concerned that it was not enough. They were not denied as they had not filled out any forms ( I thought they had applied), just a consultation. They will talking to credit union soon. So it goes.
I am sure your daughter and son in-law will do fine as they are solid. The over all environment for qualifying reminds me of 1994 when I bought my first house. Everything was scrutinized and had to be on the up and up.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 PM

175 posts, read 491,533 times
Michael Orr latest house report
wpcarey.asu.edu/finance/real-estate/upload/Full-Report-201206.pdf

Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
A summer lull was predicted earlier, which is normal, and it appears that has begun to happen. Compared with last month, the Pending listings are down 6.4% while monthly sales are down 5.6%. month.

The available inventory has increased in most areas, such as Gilbert that is up 10% above May. San Tan Valley is up 5%. However, inventory in Chandler has declined 5% and Scottsdale 8%.

The monthly pricing is down for the last two weeks. Part of the reason is a large number of lower priced short sales closing. This is not an accurate measurement because some of them get closed accidentally because of an earlier close date set on the mls and the agent fails to update it when it gets delayed. Those that get closed prematurely get placed back on the market as soon as the agent learns of the error.

Even with those closes done automatically in error, the price of short sales will still affect the market averages. And unfortunately, the appraisers, when using short sales as a comp against a traditional sale, don't seem to factor in a price adjustment for the fact that a short sale is sold AS IS, with a Limited Warranty Deed. Plus a buyer must wait many months for an acceptance.

In my Val Vista Lakes Community in Gilbert, I'm seeing new traditional listings come on the market at higher prices which are more realistic considering these homes are all updated and in a community that should command a premium price over neighboring communities with no community amenities.

A waterfront home in Val Vista Lakes recently closed at $211/sf. And the better news is it was not a cash sale, so there was an appraisal, which will certainly help the comps here.

The Cromford Report earlier predicted a 25% increase in pricing by September, and although we are in a summer lull, and we're seeing new inventory begin to come on the market, after the price increases, I believe their prediction will be realized.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
A summer lull was predicted earlier, which is normal, and it appears that has begun to happen. Compared with last month, the Pending listings are down 6.4% while monthly sales are down 5.6%. month.

The available inventory has increased in most areas, such as Gilbert that is up 10% above May. San Tan Valley is up 5%. However, inventory in Chandler has declined 5% and Scottsdale 8%.

The monthly pricing is down for the last two weeks. Part of the reason is a large number of lower priced short sales closing. This is not an accurate measurement because some of them get closed accidentally because of an earlier close date set on the mls and the agent fails to update it when it gets delayed. Those that get closed prematurely get placed back on the market as soon as the agent learns of the error.

Even with those closes done automatically in error, the price of short sales will still affect the market averages. And unfortunately, the appraisers, when using short sales as a comp against a traditional sale, don't seem to factor in a price adjustment for the fact that a short sale is sold AS IS, with a Limited Warranty Deed. Plus a buyer must wait many months for an acceptance.

In my Val Vista Lakes Community in Gilbert, I'm seeing new traditional listings come on the market at higher prices which are more realistic considering these homes are all updated and in a community that should command a premium price over neighboring communities with no community amenities.

A waterfront home in Val Vista Lakes recently closed at $211/sf. And the better news is it was not a cash sale, so there was an appraisal, which will certainly help the comps here.

The Cromford Report earlier predicted a 25% increase in pricing by September, and although we are in a summer lull, and we're seeing new inventory begin to come on the market, after the price increases, I believe their prediction will be realized.
I wonder how much the data is being affected & distorted by "flips" - even case-schiller tries to adjust for "same-house" resales, what if the *house* isn't really the same?

I'm speaking of these previously trashed reo's and short-sales that were "fluffed up" with new paint, appliances, flooring, cabinets, etc. The resale price for those fixed up homes might have went up 25%, but the neighbor's house isn't worth 25% more.

The lack of "open market" transactions really seems to be affecting values as well - homes that in my opinion, would sell for 30-40% more as "traditional" sales seem to be trading quickly as "short-sales" at a wicked discount, if you can get one, and you probably can't, unless you're an insider.

Whomever told the banks they net more in a short-sale hasn't seen what I'm seeing.

I'm really hoping the mortgage debt forgiveness act isn't extended beyond this year.

I believe the shorts are ruining the "comps" and artificially holding down values in the areas I watch.

We need to finish "ripping the band-aid" off so the market can normalize without these hinky deals.

Last edited by Zippyman; 07-01-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I wonder how much the data is being affected & distorted by "flips" - even case-schiller tries to adjust for "same-house" resales, what if the *house* isn't really the same?

I'm speaking of these previously trashed reo's and short-sales that were "fluffed up" with new paint, appliances, flooring, cabinets, etc. The resale price for those fixed up homes might have went up 25%, but the neighbor's house isn't worth 25% more.
That new sale provides a comp for the neighbors house. If the neighbors house has the same upgrades, then it would be affected positively by the rehabbed home.
Quote:
The lack of "open market" transactions really seems to be affecting values as well - homes that in my opinion, would sell for 30-40% more as "traditional" sales seem to be trading quickly as "short-sales" at a wicked discount, if you can get one, and you probably can't, unless you're an insider.
Yes, I've seen several of those where it's very obvious that there is a sweetheart deal of some sort.

Quote:
Whomever told the banks they net more in a short-sale hasn't seen what I'm seeing.
It's fairly expensive for them to do the trustee sale. I'm told it can be around $50k. On a low price home that can be very expensive. On a luxury home it may not make that much difference.

Quote:
I believe the shorts are ruining the "comps" and artificially holding down values in the areas I watch.
I think it's doing it in many areas. However, I blame it on the appraisers for not using a price adjustment for short sales and REO's.

The good news is that we are having fewer short sales, and more traditional sales are coming on the market at higher prices. These newer traditional listings will probably hold tight to their prices and not be quick to lower them provided their agents are informing them of exactly what the market is doing.

Of course the buyers agents need to comp more than just square footage when they comp for their buyers. They need to have an idea of the cost of those upgrades. Unfortunately many don't, so they are unable to properly advise their clients on the value of a home. A 4,000 sq ft home with $200,000 worth of upgrades is going to be worth more than a 4,000 sf home without those same upgrades.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:44 PM

211 posts, read 543,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

ive been looking at NEW builds in communities in Gilbert, i was out there about 6 weeks ago and all agents said the prices and demand was High at this time cause of the big influx in sales and new buyers.
but i have noticed as most are saying that all has slowed down as predicted in Gilbert area etc.

im wondering if these New Home Builders in Gilbert will drop there house prices since the market has slowed now ???? (if this happens ill be taking advantage of the market)

Old 07-01-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
ive been looking at NEW builds in communities in Gilbert, i was out there about 6 weeks ago and all agents said the prices and demand was High at this time cause of the big influx in sales and new buyers.
but i have noticed as most are saying that all has slowed down as predicted in Gilbert area etc.

im wondering if these New Home Builders in Gilbert will drop there house prices since the market has slowed now ???? (if this happens ill be taking advantage of the market)
It has slowed down some but there still a shortage of inventory in the lower ranges. I doubt if the builders are going to be lowering their prices in a summer lull when they still have plenty of buyers.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:50 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,022 times
3 homes on my street in Gilbert have had their "for sale" signs up for over 1 year now...no activity and priced right...I have never seen any realators with clients at all. Maybe the hype is for foreclosures and short sales

Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
3 homes on my street in Gilbert have had their "for sale" signs up for over 1 year now...no activity and priced right...I have never seen any realators with clients at all. Maybe the hype is for foreclosures and short sales
If they were priced right, then they would have sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area