Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM

203 posts, read 491,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I think a lot of homeowners are still not only in the dark about the small bit of recovery but about the depth of the fall. So the listing agents might find people saying, "What do you mean, 'I could list my house now for $220k'? I bought it in 2004 for $250! Hardly good news and incentive to sell!"

And this is very important because what you might see is just a paralyzed market soon. Not enough foreclosures/short sales to keep the market moving at a "normal" rate, and not enough people with enough equity to make it worth selling. So what if you can sell your home for $20k more than when you bought it in the early 2000's. After the 6% to the realtors, and the lack of inventory out there when looking to buy (and chances are most people don't have significant savings to make much of an upgrade in price point), what's the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywayy2001 View Post
And this is very important because what you might see is just a paralyzed market soon. Not enough foreclosures/short sales to keep the market moving at a "normal" rate, and not enough people with enough equity to make it worth selling. So what if you can sell your home for $20k more than when you bought it in the early 2000's. After the 6% to the realtors, and the lack of inventory out there when looking to buy (and chances are most people don't have significant savings to make much of an upgrade in price point), what's the point.
I don't buy that. "Paralyzed market" appears to be a term of denial of the supply/demand axiom for housing doomers (now that "shadow inventory" is losing its luster). If prices are insufficient to encourage sales and demand continues, prices go up until people sell. Simple as that. It is the exact reverse of what we have been seeing where sellers were forced to drop prices to attract a buyer. Affordability is not much of a constraint ATM. Tight credit is, but expect that to loosen. Demand for secondary mortgage products is on the increase once again.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I think a lot of homeowners are still not only in the dark about the small bit of recovery but about the depth of the fall. So the listing agents might find people saying, "What do you mean, 'I could list my house now for $220k'? I bought it in 2004 for $250! Hardly good news and incentive to sell!"
You may be correct, however, I don't see how they can not know how much things fell given the amount of media coverage about that.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM

203 posts, read 491,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't buy that. "Paralyzed market" appears to be a term of denial of the supply/demand axiom for housing doomers (now that "shadow inventory" is losing its luster). If prices are insufficient to encourage sales and demand continues, prices go up until people sell. Simple as that. It is the exact reverse of what we have been seeing where sellers were forced to drop prices to attract a buyer. Affordability is not much of a constraint ATM. Tight credit is, but expect that to loosen. Demand for secondary mortgage products is on the increase once again.

Good point but you're going to need significant price increases to enable people who held onto their homes (whose who bought b/w 2002-2008)...and that's a lot of people...to enable them to afford the 6% realty fees in selling and actually upgrade to another home. There's going to be a lag and you're seeing it right now with not enough people listing their traditional home for sale because there is no point to putting it on the market (not enough equity). In short, there are very few move-up buyers in this market.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywayy2001 View Post
Good point but you're going to need significant price increases to enable people who held onto their homes (whose who bought b/w 2002-2008)...and that's a lot of people...to enable them to afford the 6% realty fees in selling and actually upgrade to another home. There's going to be a lag and you're seeing it right now with not enough people listing their traditional home for sale because there is no point to putting it on the market (not enough equity). In short, there are very few move-up buyers in this market.
We've been here before like after Resolution Trust. There are market abberations both falling and recovering. It will work itself out. There will be sellers at various price points. Not all homes were bought during the boom and not all homes bought since then were at grossly inflated values. Warnings of "paralysis" is more of Chicken Little. Near record sales with a strong recovery in traditional sales in the Phoenix area is hardly evidence of a paralysis. I will believe it when I see it.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM

In addition, there are people who need sell their homes to relocate, or for other reasons, and they understand that they probably will not get what they paid for the home. However, many of them will be buying elsewhere at today's depressed prices. So for them it's a trade off.

Same with a move up buyer. Let's say someone has a $400k home and wants to move up to a $1mil home because their employment position has increased so they can afford that, and want to have more of a showcase to entertain business guests. That's a natural. They may take a small loss on the $400k home, but they'll get a bargain on the $1mil home.

Last edited by Captain Bill; 04-03-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
In addition, there are people who need sell their homes to relocate, or for other reasons, and they understand that they probably will not get what they paid for the home. However, many of them will be buying elsewhere at today's depressed prices. So for them it's a trade off.

Same with a move up buyer. Let's say someone has a $400k home and wants to move up to a $1mil home because their employment position has increased so they can afford that, and want to have more of a showcase to entertain business guests. That's a natural. They may take a small loss on the $400k home, but they'll get a bargain on the $1mil home.
there will always be people, who have to sell. you may see more corporations covering the shortage on company moves. Divorce rates remain high.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,593,747 times
I received a very interesting email from Security Title today. It is a 1 month comparison for April 2011 and 2012.

Active Listings for April 1, 2012 - 14,137
Active Listings for April 1, 2011 - 30,158

2012 Regular listings 11,608 or 82%
2011 Regular listings 17,396 or 58%

2012 Distressed listing 2,529 with Short sales 1,267 or 9%, REO 1,262 9%
2011 Distressed listing 12,762 w/ Short sales 7,450 or 25%, REO 5,312 18%

2012 Closed listing 8,865
2011 Closed listing 9,933

2012 Pending listings 19,744
2011 Pending listings 20,148

Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
there will always be people, who have to sell. you may see more corporations covering the shortage on company moves. Divorce rates remain high.
Those are good points

Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
I theorize that people having zero or neg. house equity is contributing to the divorce rate. The less assets you share, the easier it is to walk away. If you're starting over from scratch and all anyway, y'know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area