Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM

424 posts, read 954,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I theorize that people having zero or neg. house equity is contributing to the divorce rate. The less assets you share, the easier it is to walk away. If you're starting over from scratch and all anyway, y'know?
So much for....."for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I theorize that people having zero or neg. house equity is contributing to the divorce rate. The less assets you share, the easier it is to walk away. If you're starting over from scratch and all anyway, y'know?
I would hope that wouldn't be the case. Seems that other issues would be at fault with a divorce. People still need to have a home over their head. Seems that a decline is a great starting point to work harder at keeping a marriage together. From what I have heard that is what they did in the old days.

On a side note my parents have told me that a few homes in their neighborhood have sold and the sales price is up. I think in 2010 prices had plunged to under $100,000 near them with one home selling for $89,000 on there street back then. Last month a home on there street sold for $125,000, or so I was told anyway.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 PM

784 posts, read 924,324 times
Thought I would give you a update on our recent trip to Phoenix house hunting. The first house we looked in Tolleson had 11offers the next day. We put offers on 3 houses, one in north Glendale it was an approved short sell that the buyer couldn't qualify, one in surprise and one in Marley park both regular sales.

The glendale house had multiple offers above asking price, they were only going to consider cash offers.

The surprise home was a flipper house and it was about 30k over nearby comps.

Our offer on the Marley park house was accepted out of multiple offers, we close in 30 days.

The market is definately moving, the challenges will be for the appraisals to keep up...we are very happy with Marley park even though we had to pay above the going comp prices for it.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:10 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times
What you're experiencing is what az business magazine is saying...

Quote:
The inventory of single-family homes for sale under $250,000 (without a contract already) is less than 25 days of supply.
Short Supply, Rising Prices In The Phoenix Area Housing Market - AZ Now Biz

I know im tired of this foreclosure/short sale game. I just want to live somewhere where im not forced to show strangers my home or that i've been paying on an empty mortgage for 6 months. Another thing i've noticed is a sharp increase in rent prices...

Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
What you're experiencing is what az business magazine is saying...

Short Supply, Rising Prices In The Phoenix Area Housing Market - AZ Now Biz

I know im tired of this foreclosure/short sale game. I just want to live somewhere where im not forced to show strangers my home or that i've been paying on an empty mortgage for 6 months. Another thing i've noticed is a sharp increase in rent prices...
When one rents, they can check to see what the original mortgage amount on a home was, or if, in the case of an investor, they paid cash. Look for the home where the owner has a lot of equity so they won't be a candidate for a short sale.

What I liked about that article is the first statement: "Are we actually seeing the start of a housing shortage in the Phoenix area?..."

We've had the shortage for some time now, and it only became severe around 7 months ago.

The public is still not aware of the shortage. Yesterday, an acquaintance in my community who noticed the signs on my 2 listings in the community called to ask how the RE market was doing. He was surprised to learn that it has turned around and is improving.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:56 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,356,135 times
Prices are going up. Some of them are at almost half what the value was a couple of years ago.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 AM

175 posts, read 372,532 times
It is what it is...But the good news is that prices are going up and inventory is going down.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Prices are going up. Some of them are at almost half what the value was a couple of years ago.
You have to keep in mind that the boom peak prices were way, way off the normal appreciation trendline. Those prices were unsustainable. Prices should eventually return to what they would have been at this time had the boom peaks never occurred. That is, roughly, 30-50% above what they are now. And one day, they will get back to and stay at what they were at the boom. But that will be due to wage inflation/affordability and not overheated demand. Right now, though, an imbalanced market is accelerating the return to normalcy.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:23 AM

9,805 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
Our offer on the Marley park house was accepted out of multiple offers, we close in 30 days.

The market is definately moving, the challenges will be for the appraisals to keep up...we are very happy with Marley park even though we had to pay above the going comp prices for it.
Good for you jdahunt! Assuming you bought in Surprise, I figured you were going to buy in Marley Park. I'm also not surprised you had to pay over asking.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:34 AM

205 posts, read 296,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Good for you jdahunt! Assuming you bought in Surprise, I figured you were going to buy in Marley Park. I'm also not surprised you had to pay over asking.
Congrats Jda. I hope everything works out smoothly for you guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area