Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 PM

153 posts, read 318,013 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that almost all of the cities in the valley let anyone in Maricopa county get a library card, even those that do not live in that particular city.

Which library [system] is the best, as far as number of books and all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
It's hard for even the libraries to tally up their own holdings, given the increasingly digital nature of things.

I don't know who has the best or the most, but for public libraries, I think the Burton Barr branch of the Phx library is nice and very big. In the east valley, I like the Tempe main library. Their catalog software is very user friendly. I use Mesa libraries most, due to proximity. Their catalog (software) stinks. The county community college library system isn't bad, for academic libraries. Another bad catalog, though.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Agree with Freddy with the additional information that the Scottsdale library system has way more dvd's. I always found a particularly good selection at Arabian branch. Chandler has a very good collection of large print books.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
I've been to four libraries: Burton Barr & Juniper of the MC system, Tempe and Chandler.

Burton Barr and Tempe are my favorites of the bunch. Within the MC system I've had better luck ordering books from other libraries.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM

Just as a note, be aware that Maricopa County Community College libraries serve the county residents in addition to students. They hold more academic type materials but if you need to use a computer or a book on Shakespeare or something, they're an option. But school holidays (like now, spring break) they may be open only to students.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM

284 posts, read 700,928 times
I greatly prefer Mesa Public Library and Tempe over Maricopa County system. I was really disappointed in the fiction collection at the Southeast Regional library and very pleased when I discovered that the Red Mountain branch of Mesa PL was even closer to me. Now you can request interlibrary loan online - haven't used it yet but have a list when I run out of something to read. Visiting Burton Barr is on my valley "bucket" list.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 AM

33 posts, read 228,881 times
The Burton Barr Library is definitely the most impressive library I've ever seen or been to in my life!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
I greatly prefer Mesa Public Library and Tempe over Maricopa County system. I was really disappointed in the fiction collection at the Southeast Regional library and very pleased when I discovered that the Red Mountain branch of Mesa PL was even closer to me. Now you can request interlibrary loan online - haven't used it yet but have a list when I run out of something to read. Visiting Burton Barr is on my valley "bucket" list.
Interlibrary Loan took 3 weeks to get a book out of Mesa Library sent to me in Chandler. Not good. I could have gone over there and gotten it myself.

In terms of "best" libraries, definitely NOT Chandler. The main library's empty shelves are an eyesore.. I asked about this and was told its a "funding" problem.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
The Phoenix public library system is great. All branches are connected online and you can request material to be on hold and delivered to your nearest location using the online system. I usually log on, add a book/cd/dvd to my queue and I'll receive an email when it's ready to be picked up. Their newest location at South Mountain Community College is also really cool architecturally.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 AM

Yes, interlibrary loan is slow.

Most libraries have lost major funding in recent years. I think the Mesa main library is only open 50 hours a week now.

You can 'check out' Kindle format books from the Phx Public Library now. There are often long waits, I'm finding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area