Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 PM

84 posts, read 141,838 times

Advertisements

Just remember that places like ASU are probably pretty familiar with "cold call" applications for NTT jobs. Don't worry about it; just do it. I'm sure they'll be glad to consider you.

We're about to move out to PHX too, and I've got a NTT because of the spouse's job. We're thinking apartments now, but I really fell in love with the historic homes in Encanto. Reasonably priced. Not many 4 BR, but many 3 BR with a guest house or office or whatever. Fantastic yards to be found in this area, too, some just as good as the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrscott View Post
He will be working at Banner Good Samaritan. We would like to be a maximum of 20-25 minutes from the hospital, as he will be getting paged at all hours of the day and night to make a "quick" trip in. Since he will be going in at 5 am or earlier and getting off at 7-8 pm or later (or working overnights), "rush hour" traffic isn't really a concern in calculating that commute.

We plan on buying. We have 2 dogs, so renting could be a problem, and I would prefer to not have to move twice if it is at all avoidable. We don't want to go over $250k, being in a safe neighborhood is of utmost priority (since he will be gone overnights a lot, and I like to go jogging or take the dogs for a walk), I don't really care if we have a pool or not, but I would love to be somewhere where there is something to look at (mountain, park, golf course, green-space of some sort). We would prefer 4 bedrooms, since we want to start a family, need a home office, and would like a designated guest room. We'd like at least 2200 sq. ft. My understanding of the current state of real estate in Phoenix leads me to believe that this is not an unreasonable request at this time?

Based on just looking around online, we have found 4 houses we really like: one in Moon Valley, one in the Lion's Gate area of Tolleson (a new construction that according to mapquest would be a 25 minute drive to the hospital door to door), one in the Southern Hills area just north of South Mountain Park, and one in Mineral Canyon (also a new construction). Any feedback on these areas would be appreciated.

Thank you so much again for all of your help!
Look at Ahwatukee which is part of Phoenix south of South Mountain but stay closer to the freeway for purposes of commute. West Chandler in the same area would be good as would most of Tempe. Tolleson would not be on my list, south Mountain maybe, but the area north of there is among the most poverty stricken and highest crime in the metro. Avondale north of i10 around Dysart is nice as is Litchfield Park and Goodyear. You are getting near the limits of your commute with these, but it is a straight shot along I10.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,134 times
I wouldn't bother looking at those communities on the north edge of South Mountain Park. The houses are nice but the surrounding areas are low income and industrial.

Those Tolleson and Moon Valley areas look like they could take over 25 mins. in rush hour. I think 5am and 7pm is outside of it but 6am might be in it. People here like to start work early and leave early.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,348,592 times
Jess,

Yeah, he will be working smack dab in downtown PHX. So you can basically go any direction and there are options for you in each of them. As a general rule the further out you are willing to travel, the more house (and newer house) you will get.

As ponderosa points out, since hiking is on your list, Ahwatukee will put you close to South Mountain park....Im not sure what 250K will get you there though (Im not super familiar with that RE market - but Im sure others are...again, Tempe would be a good choice as it puts you guys between South Mtn park, Scottsdale for a little entertainment, and the hospital, as well as close to ASU for you if you get lucky.

But again, Im not sure of the neighborhoods in Tempe that 250K will get you...others will help.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,915,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrscott View Post

And although there is lots of academia with a variety of state, private, liberal arts, and Christian colleges, unfortunately openings in my area of expertise (Lifespan Development/Developmental Psych) aren't really available except in the community college system. I'm currently with a huge university that has 30k+ students, so the idea of teaching at a community college for a fraction of my current income is taking some getting used to. But, Phoenix is just too far away for a long-distance marriage until I find a job there to be feasible.
the community college system here is the largest in the country, and because of how the budgets are determined they have had much less cuts and more growth than ASU. I went from ASU to a local CC after funding for my position ran out and have watched a lot of my friends left at ASU (Staff) have to deal with a lot of layoffs, cuts and department closures. educational funding in AZ isn't likely to get better in the immediate future, so CC's are a good place to be right now, IMO.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,134 times
You can get that size house in Tempe or Ahwatukee for 250 but it won't be new. Something newish within 20-25 mins. of that hospital might be hard, in a nice area. But there are LOTS of older homes that are terrific.

For comparison, there are some new homes in east Mesa (Mountain Bridge) but 250 is probably the lowest price for maybe 1800SF (I'm guessing) with a highish HOA and be 30+ mins. to the hospital.

On the 'Phoenix=Good' side, that hospital should be a good one for his resume, right?

Edited to add- I agree with christiner. I have a second job as an adjunct at MCC and there have been 13 full-time positions in my field in the past two years, in the CC system, that I know of. ASU- none, that I know of.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:14 PM

73 posts, read 152,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post

On the 'Phoenix=Good' side, that hospital should be a good one for his resume, right?
Yes, awesome, in fact.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 PM

203 posts, read 491,923 times
Coming from a position of knowledge in that my wife did her residency here and now practices along the 51 corridor close to downtown, I highly recommend living on the highway 51 corridor....moon valley is a good choice. You can look in and around central Phoenix and also area codes 85028 and 85254....although you may have a fixer upper in some of these neighborhoods. If you like the outdoors, restaurants and such, this is where you want to live.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,622,157 times
Everyone who knows me knows I'm going to suggest a nice pool! Summers are enjoyable when you can take a dip and sit by the water. There is something special about swimming in dry hot weather. No towel needed and you don't get chilled, ever. lol

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised actually, it's nice when you don't expect to have a good time and you end up having one! You aren't coming here with a set mind so I am thinking you will like it more than you think. We have tons of people from your location who find it quite a hidden gem. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,509,119 times
Phoenix has just about anything a person could ask for in a large city, professional sports, museums, good restaurants, shopping, nightlife, good hospitals, higher education, mass transit.

Lots of outdoor recreation in close range without being too far of a drive. There are even hiking trails in the mountain preserves right here in the metropolitan area

Where Phoenix is lacking is in history and culture because it is such a new city, not on the same scale as Chicago or New York.

Downtown is not always the center of activity either, it has improved a lot comapred to 10 or 15 years ago but still kind of small scale compared to other large cities back east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area