Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,334,222 times

Advertisements

First of all, your husband was not forced to come to Phoenix. As you know, during the "Match" in medical school, you rank programs. By 5 years, I'm assuming he is a surgical resident. If you and your husband did not like Phoenix or had no desire to move here, then why did you rank Phoenix programs? The only time a medical student is genuinely forced to doing a residency in a particular city is through the military but to my knowledge, there are no military residencies in Phoenix therefore your husband ranked Phoenix.

Second, I'm a little insulted by your post. This is a wonderful city that many people want to move to but can't for a variety reasons. There is a reason it was the fastest growing city in the country for years. You shouldn't have to find reasons to live here and enjoy it here. This is a great city that speaks for itself. It's sad when people who want to live here can't and people like yourself who don't want to come here are "forced to."

Third, consider yourself lucky that your husband was able to land a residency in Phoenix since many medical students want to come back to do residency here but can't because it's too competitive due to the desire to be in Phoenix.

Fourth, when you say he has 5 years of residency, I'm assuming he is a surgical resident. IM/Family are 3 years. OB is 4 years. Consider yourselves very lucky. The programs in the west are far more lenient both with regard to hours and culture. 5 am to 8 PM is not bad for a general surgical resident. You could have it far worse.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-21-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 PM

391 posts, read 789,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
First of all, your husband was not forced to come to Phoenix. As you know, during the "Match" in medical school, you rank programs. By 5 years, I'm assuming he is a surgical resident. If you and your husband did not like Phoenix or had no desire to move here, then why did you rank Phoenix programs? The only time a medical student is genuinely forced to doing a residency in a particular city is through the military but to my knowledge, there are no military residencies in Phoenix therefore your husband ranked Phoenix.

Second, I'm a little insulted by your post. This is a wonderful city that many people want to move to but can't for a variety reasons. There is a reason it was the fastest growing city in the country for years. You shouldn't have to find reasons to live here and enjoy it here. This is a great city that speaks for itself. It's sad when people who want to live here can't and people like yourself who don't want to come here are "forced to."

Third, consider yourself lucky that your husband was able to land a residency in Phoenix since many medical students want to come back to do residency here but can't because it's too competitive due to the desire to be in Phoenix.

Fourth, when you say he has 5 years of residency, I'm assuming he is a surgical resident. IM/Family are 3 years. OB is 4 years. Consider yourselves very lucky. The programs in the west are far more lenient both with regard to hours and culture. 5 am to 8 PM is not bad for a general surgical resident. You could have it far worse.
Great response
And I'm sure The OP will love it here.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
Oops, not Scottsdale. That far south and west of Camelback is back into Phoenix.

I have some friends who live in Tempe and with their windows open the noise is noticeable during the daytime.

http://www.azre.gov/AirportMaps/Publ...se&Traffic.pdf

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport

North Tempe, yes, but you don't have to have the windows open. I don't think there would be any serious sleeping issues due to the airport anywhere in Tempe, even for people who are really hypersensitive. That's what earplugs would be for, if there was a problem.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 AM

73 posts, read 152,975 times
Quote:
I never used the word forced. I said we didn't have a choice where he ended up. I also didn't say we did not like the city or had no desire to move there, I said it was not at the top of our list. We ranked Phoenix because he was looking for a specific type of surgical program, which Banner offered, and since he had so few interviews after narrowing down the types of programs he was looking at, he was advised to rank everywhere he had interviewed at so that he wouldn't be without a job next year by going unmatched.

Quote:
A couple things about this. First, I did not mean to insult the city or anyone living in it. If anyone perceived my post that way, I genuinely apologize. Second, if you read my post, I clearly stated that the reasons Phoenix was not at the top of our list was because of the distance from the areas we have always considered home and our friends and families, and because of the lack of job prospects for my area of specialty this upcoming academic year, not because of any assumption that it is a bad city. And again, I never used the word "forced."

Quote:
I am very thankful that he was able to get a surgery residency, period. I would have been thankful for that regardless of where it was because of how competitive the field has gotten. Please don't make personal inferences about me being ungrateful based solely on my anxiety about moving across the country to a new city that I have never set foot in.

I was trying to reach out to people who, like you, seem to love Phoenix. Like I said, I have never been to the city and have no idea what to expect. I was trying to find things to be thankful for and optimistic about in regards to moving to an area that I was not expecting to move to and am unfamiliar with. I so appreciate all the help, advice, and encouragement that everyone on this board had given.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,758,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavest View Post
your 4 hours from everything by car, or 2 hrs by air.

within a 4 hour driving range:
Tucson: awesome town with lots of history
Flagstaff: cool mountain town
Las Vegas NV
San Diego CA
LA, CA

Showlow: Best ski resort in the state
LA, San Diego and Las Vegas are NOT within a 4 hour driving range.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM

464 posts, read 834,138 times
Smile OP, your post made me chuckle...

...as my husband and I came to Fountain Hills from SW MI lake living. Apparently last summer was record long high heat...and yes, we survived. Yep, we came so very very close to calling it quits...but then the heat broke and we realized how fortunate we were to live in such an always sunny state.

Seasons...yes, my dear, you will miss the dramatic changes but if you enjoy the outdoors and the beauty it has to offer, the mountains will simply take your breath away. The neighbors frequent the Grand Canyon once a month for 4 day weekends and other friends head to Vegas frequently.

We have hiking and biking trails just beyond our front door with the McDowell Mtns. and it's great for my husband. (I'm more 'walker speed' and that works here too with the hills.)

Good Luck and try to look at your move as a temporary 5 year adventure...or who knows...you may like it and make it home!

OMGoodness, OP, I just read your last post and it appears that you have 'riled the troops'. Don't fret as you will notice if you go to other city's cd forums...that differences make the 'world go 'round' and our city is no different. Take all advice with a grain of salt as some advisors are a bit sour and some a bit sweet...it is reflective of where we are at in our lives....

Last edited by makeitagreatday; 03-22-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Great response
And I'm sure The OP will love it here.
Cheers and Thanks, I feel like I'm the only one who defends this city at times. If this was on another city forum, there would be a lot more responses like mine but people in Phoenix are laid back and I guess that is one reason why I like it here so much.

Nonetheless, hopefully the OP realizes that a lot of people are proud to call this city home and starting a post asking people to make her like it can be seen as a bit insulting. I don't know, I would have probably taken a different approach and maybe said something along the lines of "I heard many excellent things about Phoenix and it's a wonderful city but I have no experience with it and am looking forward to learning what your city has to offer." Maybe that makes me a harsh villain to ask that of someone..oh well.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrscott View Post
I never used the word forced. I said we didn't have a choice where he ended up.
With all due respect, you said you had no choice where you ended up but that's not really a fair statement because you ranked a program in Phoenix so you knew in advance that by ranking a program you could end up here. I'm a physician and I went through the match process as well and didn't rank programs in cities I had no interest in moving to.

Quote:
I also didn't say we did not like the city or had no desire to move there.
You said "we are both a bit bummed about it" (with regard to moving to Phoenix). I think any reasonable person would get the impression that you didn't want to move here.

Quote:
A couple things about this. First, I did not mean to insult the city or anyone living in it.
I didn't get the impression that you were intending to insult anyone but I wanted you to know that your post could be seen as being deragatory toward Phoenix. I wanted you to know that a lot of people like myself take a great deal of pride in this city and are happy to be a part of this community. You should know there are a lot of people that want to move here and excited to do so. Hopefully you will feel the same way regardless if you choose to stay here. I think you and your husband will be quite happy here.

Quote:
I am very thankful that he was able to get a surgery residency, period. I would have been thankful for that regardless of where it was because of how competitive the field has gotten. Please don't make personal inferences about me being ungrateful based solely on my anxiety about moving across the country to a new city that I have never set foot in.
I understand, and consider the matter dropped. Welcome to Phoenix

Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,630,288 times
Quote:
Cheers and Thanks, I feel like I'm the only one who defends this city at times. If this was on another city forum, there would be a lot more responses like mine but people in Phoenix are laid back and I guess that is one reason why I like it here so much.

Nonetheless, hopefully the OP realizes that a lot of people are proud to call this city home and starting a post asking people to make her like it can be seen as a bit insulting. I don't know, I would have probably taken a different approach and maybe said something along the lines of "I heard many excellent things about Phoenix and it's a wonderful city but I have no experience with it and am looking forward to learning what your city has to offer." Maybe that makes me a harsh villain to ask that of someone..oh well.
You're not a villain. I would have approached a move to a new city with a bit more grace myself, this thread was a bit of a whine fest with manners lacking. I happen to realize there are other people who love their city as much as I do, I certainly wouldn't approach new neighbors with "hey, I am bummed about moving here, make me happy about it." Hopefully they won't do it in person.

On that note though, I think they will be pleasantly surprised by what a great atmosphere we have here once they get over their disappointment.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,987,956 times
I would think most would love to be in a situation when one of their only worries is to grin and bear 5 years in Phoenix in exchange for virtually assured career advancement and financial security, regardless of what a hell hole it actually is. Don't worry, 5 years will go quickly and the Midwest should still be around. Who knows, by then the winters might even be milder if this winter is any indication of things to come. Of course Phoenix might be hotter by then too.

How many days above 110 were there last year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area