Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:35 PM

849 posts, read 3,527,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Thats funny, it is New York with Palm Trees in places.
Up here in Central Florida its not as bad where the rudeness is concerned, the Yanks soften up a little when they move down here. We even still have a few native Floridians which are always cool to run into.
I am a native NYer and couldn't agree more. Went to North Miami Beach for a specific reason in June. Ugh! Brooklyn with palm trees Even being a member of that "special" community, I couldn't take it.

BTW, I live in St. Pete and yes, some of us Yanks have softened but sad to say the unpleasant people usually are from up there.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:20 PM

17 posts, read 68,661 times
You would have much easier access to your son if you lived in the Phoenix area- esp. if he lives in the southern part of California. But-- there IS some pollution "brown cloud" around the Phoenix area at times.
That being said, I think there are lots of places to see and things to do in AZ compared to New Mexico. Texas has some nice aspects, for sure, but be careful that you are aware of their property tax structure and insurance costs. We have friends in the Dallas area, and their property tax bill is a significant cost. They don't pay state income tax, however.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
Went to North Miami Beach for a specific reason in June.
You really should have gone to South Beach - that is where all the action really is!!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 AM

Default yeah...well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You really should have gone to South Beach - that is where all the action really is!!!!
maybe next time

Old 12-20-2007, 09:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
maybe next time
You should go - South Beach is where the Beautiful People are!!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Is there anyone who had Seasonal Affective Disorder while you lived in another part of the country and now moved to Arizona? Could you please let me know how and if it helped. I would assume with all the sunshine it would help a great deal. Does it cure it completely? I have been trying to decide where to live. It is between the The Villages in Florida or Arizona. I am leaning toward Arizona because of the dry hot climate must be healthier.

Has anyone lived in both places? How do you feel in Arizona. Seasonal Affective Disorder has taken over my life and I am having a difficult time dealing with it for almost 8 months a year.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Well let me tell you from experience, that the dry air is NOT healthier. However, we DO get a TON of sunshine. In my opinion, I'd say either place will be fine. Florida gets more rain, but the showers usually only last a few minutes. Take your pick, both places are great for SAD.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:41 AM

Talking uh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You should go - South Beach is where the Beautiful People are!!

They'd never let me in if that's the case, especially in my "granny" dork bathing suit. Yuck. But it beats a burka.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:59 AM

15 posts, read 53,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Well let me tell you from experience, that the dry air is NOT healthier. However, we DO get a TON of sunshine. In my opinion, I'd say either place will be fine. Florida gets more rain, but the showers usually only last a few minutes. Take your pick, both places are great for SAD.
They rain may be temporary but there is a lot more overcast days in Florida which is just as bad for a SAD sufferer. In AZ, there is 300 days of sunshine a year.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:49 PM

31 posts, read 130,886 times
Heard a report on the news just the other day about a study on SAD - they said the avg is 35% of people suffer from in it in most states but in AZ only 5%

Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 PM

Default gulf coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwaveaz View Post
They rain may be temporary but there is a lot more overcast days in Florida which is just as bad for a SAD sufferer. In AZ, there is 300 days of sunshine a year.

has about 250, not a bad difference and as you said the showers are short. there are even better reasons for someone still in the work force to choose AZ.
What i couldn't remember last night about the prop. taxes is that property values really spiked a few years ago and assessments are based on market value. now prices are going down but municipalities refuse to revalue down. people who thought they were buying affordable housing now cannot keep up the payments because of taxes. It's fairly complicated but needs to be thoroughly researched before a move. One reason sales are flat is because sale prices are lower than the assessments and owners can't get the assessment lowered. There is a homestead deduction but I don't understand it not being a homeowner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area