Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:46 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It could be sunshine, but I think for many people it is just getting out of the house, getting some exercise and doing something other than complaining and feeling sorry for oneself that makes the difference. That works in summer here too.
Ugh. If there is one thing that really bugs me (and not to direct this to you as unless you've dealt with clinical depression yourself it is impossible to get), it is people who blame the person with the condition. It's like blaming someone who has cancer for the cancer. It goes beyond feeling sorry for yourself and pulling yourself up by the bootstraps. I attended a depression support group at The Casa for a long time. People either "get it" or they don't. Sitting in that room everyone gets it, or they would not be there. It's like saying people with asthma are just not trying hard enough to breathe. Now exercise does improve depression symptoms, this is true. But it does so as it raises levels of endorphins. Depression is all about neurotransmitters, if one is talking about true clinical depression. I am talking about the kind where you can have all the money in the world to get out and do stuff, but you just don't care. It's letting the mail sit out in the mailbox for days as it's too much effort to walk out the door and get it. People who have never walked in the shoes of a clinically depressed person are blessed indeed. Unfortunately, it is not well understood and there IS a stigma around it.

With respect to SAD, it is indeed a biochemical phenomenon. These people are really and truly affected. Medication does help, as does light therapy.

As a sidenote, I have dealt with panic disorder on and off since I was 19. I know most people cannot understand how a person can panic when driving over a bridge or standing in a grocery line. This is not something people choose to have, anymore than SAD. It is actually very debilitating and can cost jobs and ruin lives. Nonetheless, something goes awry in the brain just like with SAD.

Last edited by movin'on; 08-31-2008 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: meant to say other thing

Old 08-31-2008, 11:51 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
I think, too, there's endogenous depresssion that is bio-chemically prominent (not related to anything happening externally)versus reactive depression (something external happens and you react). They are different things.
With the endogenous, there's probably a strong biological/genetic link. Like with people who have alot of addictions in their family--their offspring are more likely to suffer from depression. OCD, etc.
I think we are only at the infancy of understanding these things.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:32 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
Yes, I agree. We don't even know the half of it. We are so judgmental as a whole. We like to group people because we are afraid to understand. I have meant so many people who think others make up symptoms of things just because they haven't had it or experienced it. I think it's just a protective mech. Or a way to make them feel better about themselves.
I believe everyone has the power to help themselves get better but I don't think that means they never had the problem. There is a difference. It can take a lot of strength at a time they don't have much so it's difficult to do and if they accomplish it then I think that is great but if they don't it's not because they are whiners. It just might take longer, and no one else suffers except the one who is suffering in the first place so others opinions really don't matter. It doesn't help anyone with SAD to tell them to stop complaining, I believe they are just sharing and trying to help and get help with it.
Why is that complaining?

Old 08-31-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I think, too, there's endogenous depresssion that is bio-chemically prominent (not related to anything happening externally)versus reactive depression (something external happens and you react). They are different things.
With the endogenous, there's probably a strong biological/genetic link. Like with people who have alot of addictions in their family--their offspring are more likely to suffer from depression. OCD, etc.
Yes, and the stigma around things just makes things worse. I suffered from depression and other stuff as a teenager and remember being told to just "snap out of it and think positively." Yikes. I have found that only people who have walked in the shoes of SAD or clinical depression understand "the abyss." I have never met a person who has never experienced these things who understands it when I say "the abyss." Tell tale sign they are fortunate.

In my family there is both addiction and bipolar disorder. My mom takes an antidepressant. Both of my uncles on my dad's side died of alcoholism. My dad drinks a beer maybe once a year, but I've never seen anyone down a beer in 10 seconds like he does. My cousin (mom's side most likely) has severe bipolar disorder to the extent she's been charged with a felony while in a mania. Lord only knows what other "secrets" there are in my family history, as everything is shrouded with shame and denial. If only people could understand that no one signs up for this stuff.

At any rate, SAD hit me when I was nine years old. I still remember that day. It was November and there you go. This is why I had to leave my home state, as the depression was just too much from October through March. I wish things were not this way, but it is what it is. We all have our crosses to bear. Things could be much worse. I could be like my cousin (who also deals with alcoholism) or like my uncles.

At any rate, this topic is near and dear to my heart and I do have strong opinions, based on years of research. Yes, being in the sunshine does help, but SAD still sets in each October. To the OP, I am not sure which is better - Florida or AZ. I could not handle FL, although the ocean is there and that is a definite plus.

BTW, I think people need to "come out" about this. It's the only way the stigma will be addressed and hopefully disappear - although that may not happen in my lifetime.

Last edited by movin'on; 08-31-2008 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Yes, I agree. We don't even know the half of it. We are so judgmental as a whole. We like to group people because we are afraid to understand. I have meant so many people who think others make up symptoms of things just because they haven't had it or experienced it. I think it's just a protective mech. Or a way to make them feel better about themselves.
I believe everyone has the power to help themselves get better but I don't think that means they never had the problem. There is a difference. It can take a lot of strength at a time they don't have much so it's difficult to do and if they accomplish it then I think that is great but if they don't it's not because they are whiners. It just might take longer, and no one else suffers except the one who is suffering in the first place so others opinions really don't matter. It doesn't help anyone with SAD to tell them to stop complaining, I believe they are just sharing and trying to help and get help with it.
Why is that complaining?
I agree with you Twiggy. You know how sometimes when someone gets cancer some people distance themselves? I think it's because they are afraid and don't want to think it could ever happen to "them." Likewise with mental health issues, I think.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:44 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
This is kinda off topic, sorry, but I read recently that people who lose a child often times have a very difficult time finding anyone to tell this to. It's got to be a "secret," cuz people with kids don't want to hear it or get close to it.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:36 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,928 times
Never heard of "Seasonal Affective Disorder." Is that just a new phrase developed by $500 per hour Psychiatrists that really is "the blues?"

I think dreary grey climate areas may cause some people to feel blues. I suffered winters where I would not see the sun between December 1 and the second week of February when I was a teenager. But I don't think this caused me to be sad in those days. It was more like lack of control, lack of money, lack of popularity. Some people enjoy bad climates because it brings relatives closer. My mom was one of those. Everyone wanted to stay inside (she also loved "The Waltons.").

As for dryness, I would not consider Phoenix dry between July and mid-September. This morning it was 76% humidity!

Most people seem to love the four seasons. Personally, I like high temperatures in the high 60s to low 70s as much as possible. But I go where the $ is good and living is cheap.

Looking forward to January afternoons at some of my favorite Scottsdale eateries in old town so that I can gawk at the mid-westerners wearing shorts when it's only 59 degrees. Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Is there anyone who had Seasonal Affective Disorder while you lived in another part of the country and now moved to Arizona? Could you please let me know how and if it helped. I would assume with all the sunshine it would help a great deal. Does it cure it completely? I have been trying to decide where to live. It is between the The Villages in Florida or Arizona. I am leaning toward Arizona because of the dry hot climate must be healthier.

Has anyone lived in both places? How do you feel in Arizona. Seasonal Affective Disorder has taken over my life and I am having a difficult time dealing with it for almost 8 months a year.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Never heard of "Seasonal Affective Disorder." Is that just a new phrase developed by $500 per hour Psychiatrists that really is "the blues?"

I think dreary grey climate areas may cause some people to feel blues. I suffered winters where I would not see the sun between December 1 and the second week of February when I was a teenager. But I don't think this caused me to be sad in those days. It was more like lack of control, lack of money, lack of popularity. Some people enjoy bad climates because it brings relatives closer. My mom was one of those. Everyone wanted to stay inside (she also loved "The Waltons.").

As for dryness, I would not consider Phoenix dry between July and mid-September. This morning it was 76% humidity!

Most people seem to love the four seasons. Personally, I like high temperatures in the high 60s to low 70s as much as possible. But I go where the $ is good and living is cheap.

And, FWIW, shrinks do not charge $500 an hour. They do med checks. Mine is very good and bills for $85. His initial intake is $250. Clearly, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Looking forward to January afternoons at some of my favorite Scottsdale eateries in old town so that I can gawk at the mid-westerners wearing shorts when it's only 59 degrees. Ha!
Well, Howard, you have never experienced clinical depression, I can tell that. I'm afraid "the blues" is something different. God knows I have researched this so many times that you can google it - to see if it's just the blues or something more serious. Honestly, I won't even bother. If you're interested, you'll do it and it's oh so basic.

What else can I say? You are uninformed. BTW, my shrink charges $85 an hour for a follow up.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:49 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,928 times
Wow! I did not intend to be perceived as abrasive. Calm down. I know people who have had depression and have been / are on meds. I sympathize with them.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Wow! I did not intend to be perceived as abrasive. Calm down. I know people who have had depression and have been / are on meds. I sympathize with them.
Well, thank you. I am just tired of people not understanding this.

Most psychiatrists are worthless. I should know. Nonetheless, I found a gem who listens to me and we are partners. I consider myself blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area