Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM

37 posts, read 83,636 times

Advertisements

I am considering move in October to either PHX, Austin, TX or CHicago, Ill. Chicago is a long shot as I think cost of living is same as here in Seattle. Would like to save some money and noticed PHX is 40% cheaper as far as rent goes. I know wages there are lower but still, I am ready to get out of this rain. So finances are number one reason, and number 2 would be being fed up with the weather.
I have few questions:
1. How safe is PHX in general. Like compared to Chicago, Seattle is very safe city. You don't have to lock your car. Are streets safe, how often you hear child is kidnapped?
2. Are there good preschools/daycares? If yes what is the waiting list? Is there a waiting list?
3. Cost of rent is cheap in PHX, but how much you have to pay for safe area? In Seattle safe are is about 750$ for 1 bedroom, this being the cheapest, and less safe, far in suburbs is about 650$. Nothing less, unless you want to be in the ghetto or drive 2 hrs from north. So my q is how safe is are that offers apt for 500$. I have seen pics online, looks good but i have never been there.
4. Jobs market-is it less then average or more? I have degree in communication, but no experience, so can only expect entry level jobs and low paid internships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,579,222 times
You should lock your car. Frankly, it's hard for me to believe that most people don't do it in Seattle, too. As far as safety generally, for a large city, the crime rate here is not high. If you live in a generally safe area, and use common sense, you will be fine, the "streets are safe". How often is a child kidnapped? I couldn't give you a number. But a large percentage, if not most, of the kidnapping of children that I read about here involves noncustodial parents.

Yes there are good preschools and daycares. I don't know about waiting lists being necessary.

You should be able to find an acceptable apartment in your price range. But if you do not have a job, you need to have a large financial cushion. The market generally is getting a little better here, but you may not find the job you really want right at first, entry level or not.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,760,274 times
Phoenix is a large, spread out city that is, in my opinion, relatively safe. Of course, like most cities, some areas experience more crime than others. You just have to do your research. As for apartment costs you should be able to find something reasonable in a decent area. It is true that the pay can be lower depending on what you do, however, there are lots of good-paying jobs here as well. If you haven't done so yet I advise you to visit for a week to get a feel for the place.
Good luck in your choice!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 83,636 times
Thanks for responses. Wow, if PHX does not have waiting list that is great, in Seattle usually you have to wait for a spot in daycare and pay about 125$ waitlist fee. We will visit hopefully in June, what are good hotels there, like 3 stars, and also do you have to get a rent a car wile there? THx

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,579,222 times
Yes, you definitely have to rent a car. Where you should stay depends on finding a location central to the areas you want to look at. The airport area is relatively central, you could start with searches within a few miles of the airport. The major chains all have locations here, many within a few miles of the airport.

Note that I did not say that "Phoenix" has no waiting list for day care centers/preschools. I said I didn't know about that issue. Some may have lists, others don't. Once you find a job and then can determine where you will live, you can investigate the daycare/preschool issue further.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,760,274 times
Yes, you will definitely need a rental car during your visit! As for hotels I suggest going to sites like Hotels.com or Tripadvisor to check availability and reader reviews.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,911,812 times
Think hard about our summer before looking into anything else.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM

170 posts, read 327,000 times
Please do extensive research on Phoenix before moving there, or U could regret it! It takes living in AZ for a while B4 reality sets in an people discover they dont like it here. Too often that is the case. Its best to spend a few weeks there in the summer to get used to the heat. Some people only THINK they want our heat, until reality sets in and they go back home. Its not just hot, but hotter than hell from May to October. In all honesty, Phoenix may look nice in magazines and relocation guides, but thats because the photos have removed the brown air.

1. The Phoenix area in general is not very safe. Safety is really spotty throughout the Valley. A safe neighborhood can quickly change just a few blocks away. Violence is rampant in the entire metro area. There is at least one murder in the news everyday in the city of Phoenix alone. Kidnappings, home invasions, and car theft are rising.

3. Most of Phoenix's affordable apartments are in LOUSY areas of town, and you will have to pay a premium to get a good neighborhood. Just make sure you have a car, or living in the Valley will be very difficult.

4. Cost of living is low because wages are VERY low, as well as having a LOUSY job market. Phoenix is very hard place to find a good job. Thats just the way it is. A bulk of Arizona's economy is service industries that pay barely minimum wage. If you want to flip burgers or bag groceries, Phoenix may work for you. If you want to grow your career and have an income, look somewhere else. I am just being honest. In fact, Arizona is starting to lose people leaving for better economic opportunities elsewhere.

5. The claims of good weather are grossly exagerrated. Its hotter than hell from May to October, forcing you to be a prisoner in your own home. Its too hot to do anything! And the lack of rainfall is not good and produces a dangerous brown cloud over the Valley for weeks at a time. Ozone days are very common too, making Phoenix a bad place for people with allergies and breathing ailments.

I think you can do a whole lot better than Phoenix and think you should consider maybe Austin. Chicago is good if you can afford it. Phoenix is usually not at the top of anybody's places to live. Needless to say, I dont like Phoenix. Have been here since 2006 and will be leaving soon!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:18 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,360,218 times
Yes Norm - all those things are true - hence millions of people choose to move, live, and work here - and STAY here.

Yep, there is nothing good at all about Phoenix. Chicago has no murders and Austin (though actually is a very nice place) has no humidity and is like an ice cube in the summer!

I hope your next destination is as perfect as you hope. Best of luck.

P S - Intel, Microchip, Go Daddy, Boeing and others are just HORRIBLE places to work and grow - so you are right - there are NO good jobs here.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,880,762 times
I think, coming from PNW, the heat would be unbearable for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area