Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 PM

79 posts, read 345,413 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I will be relocating to the east valley in a few months. We are looking at 55+ communities, and are finding that extremely few houses have a fenced back yard. We have a 50 lb Lab mix, and would like her to spend time outside without being in a leash. What to people do with their dogs in these communites? Are they always leashed? Can fences be installed? (I'm sure it varies by HOA)

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 04:42 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,765,495 times
Trilogy/Vistancia has quite a few larger dogs living there and yes, you can fence your yard and there is a leash law in place I believe. We have a 67 lb mix right now and had a 200+ Mastiff until last week when we had to put him to sleep. No problems with either of them in Sun City.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the info, MotleyCrew. Sorry to hear about your Mastiff.

From the photos, it looks like a lot of the backyards in the east valley 55+ homes are pretty darn small. That would make it cheaper to fence in, though.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,765,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul91 View Post
Thanks for the info, MotleyCrew. Sorry to hear about your Mastiff.

From the photos, it looks like a lot of the backyards in the east valley 55+ homes are pretty darn small. That would make it cheaper to fence in, though.
Thank you.

Most of the yards in the newer 55 + developments are postage stamp sized, but makes for less yard work and in Trilogy the fences are "view" fences which are wrought iron. Sun City, the III phase has some decent sized yards but quite a few go unfenced. We put a fence across the back to keep our neighbor from just walking up to the back patio door which creeped me out. Sun City is not everyone's cup of tea, especially the homes built in the 60's and 70's, but they are fun to remodel and the HOA is not that strick...so put that pink flamingo out in front, hahah. Anyway, here in AZ you have some awesome, high end/newer communities with the gorgeous landscaping and club houses and some more simple huts to choose from. Best of luck in your hunt.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,856 times
In the east valley, Leisure World was also built in the 60s/70s, I think. Some of the yards are decent sized. Most retirees don't want much of a yard, though.

Sun Lakes has houses with fenced yards. Those are about the only two adult communities I'm familiar with. I think the MLS has a field for fenced yard, doesn't it?

Does your dog need a big yard? My two big dogs mostly sleep. When they do decide to play chase, it's around the house.

Last edited by ReadyFreddy; 04-08-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Does your dog need a big yard? My two big dogs mostly sleep. When they do decide to play chase, it's around the house.
No, she doesn't need a big yard.... just a place to call a restroom and a different area to lay in. It would be a lot easier to simply let her out back to do her business, rather than having to leash her up just to tinkle.

I'm not a big fan of the open backyards with walkways between the rows of houses. Like MotleyCrew mentioned.... it would freak me out if the neighbors walked up to my backdoor.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 AM

Oh, I'm no fan of unfenced back yards, either. I'm always shocked how few yards are fenced back east.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM

284 posts, read 701,704 times
Trying to think... I don't think fences are allowed in Leisure World. And there is a limit on how high your wall can be, but there are houses with a backyard that could contain a dog. Lots of folks hop in their golf cart to take the dog to grass.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 PM

My father had two homes in Leisure World, both with enclosed yards, I think. I'm certain the second one did. It had a view fence to a golf course but was entirely enclosed and had a pool.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the info, MarianR and ReadyFreddy!

In my MLS search, it seems to be hit or miss on whether or not a particular house for sale has an enclosed backyard or not. (I don't see a search choice for enclosed/fenced yard) We expect to be house hunting in June, so we'll have to wait and see what's available at the time.

At least the 55+ community houses in our price range aren't selling like hotcakes, like the 'family' houses are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area