Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,264,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
This cracks me up. So they're like young, upwardly mobile, professional... tractor drivers? Oh yeah, I see that constantly. Street gangs of rednecks in designer clothes and John Deere caps. Or driving their bimmers in their wifebeaters, with their gun racks in the back. Drinking Old Milwaukee quarts at the sushi bar.
Rednecks? That is funny. If you think that's rednecky OP, you don't know real redneck. I can show you places that are REAL redneck. Oh man... not even close.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,349,092 times
I'm still bewildered by the fact that the OP is from Jersey. I can understand someone from Southern California stating those opinions but Jersey...really? Jersey is nationally ridiculed. If ever the phrase "those in glass houses should not throw stones" should be applied, it's now.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,099,034 times
we've fed this troll enough....we don't need to defend Arizona anymore

Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM

10 posts, read 28,747 times
Every city of substance has its advantages and disadvantages. One lives there because of the one and in spite of the other. Like the old saying goes, love it or leave it.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM

197 posts, read 455,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
This is my view of Scottsdale, and please note I do realize there are exceptions to the rules.

I view Scottsdale as a place where yuppies and the elderly move. The elderly keep to themselves, but the yuppies have made Scottsdale a place where status is everything, everything looks the same, men are supposed to go to the gym 10-15 times per day, women have invented a new "Silicon Valley", and every shopping center and housing development looks exactly the same. Nothing is unique, nothing can be special, and everything and everyone is the same; its clean, but dull. No one and no place has any unique character. The really sad part is, the people there seem to think they are superior to the rest of the nation when in fact they spend their time copying people from my part of the country except in an arrogant and flashy matter.

Personally, I find the majority of the people in Scottsdale as a combo of rednecks and yuppies. I find the landscape boring. I find the food to be below average. It is the very definition of suburban sprawl.

Well, am I wrong?
I could say the same for Short Hills, nj. Pretty much every city has "suburban sprawl" like the beach which would be LA, the mountains for Aspen, the desert for Scottsdale, the plains for Dallas, the south for Atlanta, the marshes for short hills, and the city for New york. Each one is unique but not the people.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM

292 posts, read 720,390 times
Well it seems that some of my views on Scottsdale are wrong based on what you are all saying. It just does not seem like the type of place I'd fit in, but I guess its not all bad either.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,349,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Well it seems that some of my views on Scottsdale are wrong based on what you are all saying. It just does not seem like the type of place I'd fit in, but I guess its not all bad either.
What type of response did you expect? If I started a thread on the New Jersey forum, stating the people seemed to be uncouth meat heads, would you expect the residents of that forum to agree with me? I wouldn't do that out of respect to New Jersey residents so try to use some sense before insulting an entire city next time.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,141,899 times
Yeah, only WE can make fun of Snottsdale.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,796,782 times
I first moved to Phoenix in 1995. I've been to Scottsdale less than 10 times, even though my employer is located there. One slice of pizza at the Scottsdale Fashion Mall is $3.50. I can walk 2 blocks from my house (in Midtown) and get two slices and a drink for $3.50---and it's awesome (Jersey style).
I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems like the people in Scottsdale are insecure. A lot of them seem under-educated for their title. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-18-2012 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM

701 posts, read 1,433,025 times
You're comparing a neighborhood pizza joint with pizza in the food court of an upscale shopping mall? Believe it or not, Scottsdale has neighborhood pizza joints where you can get cheap slices as well. Boy, some people will go to great lengths to put down Scottsdale, but that's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I first moved to Phoenix in 1995. I've been to Scottsdale less than 10 times, even though my employer is located there. One slice of pizza at the Scottsdale Fashion Mall is $3.50. I can walk 2 blocks from my house (in Midtown) and get two slices and a drink for $3.50---and it's awesome (Jersey style).
I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems like the people in Scottsdale are insecure. A lot of them seem under-educated for their title. Moderator cut: snip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area