Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 AM

73 posts, read 152,743 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

My husband and I are moving to Goodyear (he is going to be working in downtown Phoenix), and other than our house-hunting trip we haven't spent much time in that area. Does anyone have any recommendations for good fun, quirky, local restaurants, bars, shops, etc in the Goodyear/Avondale area? I've already been looking around online and have found the farmer's markets, hiking areas nearby, and things like that, but I would love recommendations for local businesses to check out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,230,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrscott View Post
Good morning!

My husband and I are moving to Goodyear (he is going to be working in downtown Phoenix), and other than our house-hunting trip we haven't spent much time in that area. Does anyone have any recommendations for good fun, quirky, local restaurants, bars, shops, etc in the Goodyear/Avondale area? I've already been looking around online and have found the farmer's markets, hiking areas nearby, and things like that, but I would love recommendations for local businesses to check out.

Thanks!
Unfortunately that is the biggest downside to Goodyear and the surrounding area. It is relatively new and mostly chain stores and restaurants in strip malls and very little "flavor" that makes it unique. I have lived here for four years and mostly have to travel to the older, more established areas to find the unique and interesting places as there is not a lot of that in Goodyear.

Romans Oasis is kind of a neat, older bar on Yuma and Cotton lane that gets busy on the weekends. Wildlife World Zoo is neat, but expensive for the family. The original Raul and Teresa's Mexican Restaurant is a very good, really old (from like the 60's) place to eat with some character.

With that said, we really like it here as it is relatively safe and doesn't feel like we live in such a large metro area. Welcome to Goodyear.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,233,076 times
Depends what you are looking for and what suits your interests so to speak.

If you can give an idea of what type of place meets what you are looking for I could probably have better highlights ........ I'll start out with some basics though

Restaurants:
Flavors of Louisiana - very good cajun food ...... love the crab landry special on thursday nights ... by the LA Fitness near I-10 & Dysart
flavorsoflouisianacajun.com/

Arizona Frybread Company - frybread, soups, quesadillas ..... owners are super friendly and the food is really good .... they have regular frybread and desert frybread samplers as well (basically 4 small frybreads) ...... i like the grilled mojito chicken, southwest and mias southwest chicken the best ..... on yuma/western east of litchfield road (near the avondale post office)
Arizona Frybread

Cafe Zamora - located on Western in Old Avondale (just west of dysart) - neat little mexican place

R&Ts - as mentioned it's definitely worth a visit ..... maybe not may favorite place out there, but pretty solid and a bit of a local landmark

Sushi - you basically trip over it out here ..... my favorite is Tomo Japanese Eatery @ Dysart & McDowell

Augies - decent little bar/restaurant near roosevelt & estrella ....... good happy hour place, overall food is solid and service generally good

Ivy League Dogs - next to Augies - started off as hot dogs, but have expanded to other items ..... they also have heart stopping deserts like deep fried twinkies and the like ..... owners are again very nice

Thai - I used to frequent Thai Orchid Garden off Indian School off Indian School east of Dysart - food was generally always pretty good, service was generally always a bit spotty ..... Royal Jasmine Thai has opened up off Indian School and Wigwam (just off Bullard) - food is good and it's closer so it's where I tend to go to now ....... although that plaza is death to businesses

Which brings me to Dinos Greek & Italian located next door ...... not the best greek food that you will find, but very solid and there are a couple menu items I really like ...... they are looking for a new location I believe

Sals Tuscan Grill is easy to miss, but really good
http://www.SalsTuscanGrill.com

Bars:
Romans is great if you like the dive C&W vibe ..... definitely worth checking out even if you don't

Wadells Longhorn off Jackrabbit & I-10 is also a bit of a dive type place - but one that I like .... food is good, large outdoor area .... gets really busy though

Taps in Litchfield Park is a good happy hour spot and a fine place to get drinks anytime

Recently have started going across the street to the Wigwam - they have a decent happy hour and nice outdoor area for their bar ..... gives kind of a secluded feel and something a bit more unique then the typical bar

Ground Control - this place is a coffee bar, gelato place mixed with a restaurant mixed with wine & beer ...... wine flights are offered and good, frequent tastings of both and frequently live music - definitely more of a wine & beer bar than a coffee bar IMO .... usually have a good time there ...... however, there has been a very noticeable shift in the quality of service since they started to expand to verrado and the sports complex in avondale ..... definitely could use an improvement in management there

Memphis Best BBQ just opened up off Roosevelt & Estrella - very good

Honestly, the bars/nightlife is probably the most lacking aspect as it's definitely more of a bedroom community with younger families ..... the choices reflect that a little bit ...... a ton of solid places to go and grab a drink, watch some of the game, take in a variety of "normal" bar activities and then head home

Blue Sky Java is a good little coffee house across from the wal-mart / Memphis Best .... tucked away next to a pediatric dentist office, but solid spot

For desert Agave Blue Frozen Yogurt off McDowell & Litchfield is really good - my parents basically live there when they come to visit anymore

There are a couple farmers markets - one at the ballpark, one at the wigwam, occasionally still one up at estrella ........ plus if interested look into Bountiful Baskets, which is pretty reasonable

Plenty of hiking in the area

The parks are good and there are often events going on at the goodyear community park or the goodyear ballpark (movies, comedy nights, concerts, etc)

Not a ton of quirky little shops - but there are some offbeat type places - again, it depends what you are looking for ........ Brass Armadillo Antique Mall just opened and is pretty neat - much better than the SwapSmart (which itself is a far cry from the old goodyear outdoor swapmeet)

There are a ton of bike shops in the area, some good pet stores (love Petz Place on Estrella just above MC 85), comic book shop off avondale, some world markets, a polish bakery, etc.

Nothing really concentrated, just need to look around a bit

Every Tuesday in the West Valley View there is a "Business Briefcase" section that will detail some openings & closing, etc

They will keep a little archive online - great way to see what is coming and going and stay tuned into what is popping up

Business News - West Valley View - Avondale, AZ

There is no shortage of places to try and many of them are a really good .... the chains are more visibile, but definitely don't corner the market by any stretch of the imagination

Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,230,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I'll start out with some basics though
Wow Finger Laker, very good information. Agree with all of the above, I don't know why I was limiting my recommendations to older places as there are many great newer places as you stated.

One item of note...sadly Blue Sky Java closed and I really liked that place.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM

d'oh

thanks for the update ....... missed that one (and will miss the place) ...... don't indulge in "fancy" coffee drinks that much and when I drink it at all it's usually from the machine at work ... but that was the spot I would generally hit if I had the hankering

sad reality in that business though - very tough to make it

Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 PM

73 posts, read 152,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Depends what you are looking for and what suits your interests so to speak.

If you can give an idea of what type of place meets what you are looking for I could probably have better highlights ........ I'll start out with some basics though
Great list, thank you so much!

In terms of what we tend to like, we enjoy coffee shops and lounge style bars. Somewhere that you can get a good martini is pretty high on my list. Our favorite place where we used to live was this laid back coffee bar/martini lounge that also did fondue that you could order with your drinks.

We both love Indian food, Thai food, Mexican food, and Sushi. I'm vegan (yep, I'm that person who actually orders the veggie sushi!), so that tends to limit our restaurant choices a little bit. We really love to give business to small, family-owned restaurants. The staff knows us at our favorite Indian place where we live now since we go there so often, and there is something about that that I think is really cool.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 PM

289 posts, read 751,144 times
TJ's Homestyle on Dysart in Avondale. Amazing pies and cinnamon rolls, all homemade in house. Very family owned.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM

good news & bad news

the bad news is that there is really only 1 good Indian restaurant in Goodyear

the good news is that there is a good Indian restaurant in Goodyear

India Garden off McDowell & Dysart (near Sprouts)
India Garden

Honestly not a wide variety of "lounge" type places or really good martini bars ..... wigwam will have good cocktails, you may like Blu Sushi in LP (bit more a lounge type feel) or even Nakama, I like the drinks at Tomo as well ...... the sushi bars and resort are probably the best bet for cocktails or a lounge environment

Ground Control has a little bit of that feel as well - but have some odd bits, like a giant, ugly, out of place fish tank

Probably will need to venture out a bit to find other places ....... my wife and I on occasion like a vibe like that (not so much the young "club lounge" filled with kids in their early 20s looking to drink their faces off and smack some butts - but a laid back place with a decent vibe, good bites of food and excellent drinks) and will often end up in around the central corridor or even downtown phoenix

Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmmac View Post
TJ's Homestyle on Dysart in Avondale. Amazing pies and cinnamon rolls, all homemade in house. Very family owned.
Good call - good breakfast place .... can be hit or miss at times, but it's probably my go to ........ love their giant cinnamon rolls and the belgian waffle is sweet, which fits my tastes perfectly

Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Finger Laker's posts here make me want to visit Goodyear! (and, they are making me hungry!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area