Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 PM

74 posts, read 205,600 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to the area in about 6 weeks. I have a job lined up in Tempe working for a delivery company. I'm a little bit nervous, because of the coming heat. In particular, I've never experienced the heat out there during the summer or gained the knowledge yet to deal with it. Do you all have any suggestions?

I've already been told to drink (sip) water throughout the day, because sweat evaporates a lot faster than in other climates.

By the way, I'm coming from NC and work outside here too. I'm used to the nasty 90 plus degree days here, but it’s a different heat with the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,797,578 times
Depends on your shift. Never heard of any UPS guys or mailmen dying out here. I don't know if either have a/c.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 PM

74 posts, read 205,600 times
I'll be outside during the day time hours. You have a good point. I've never heard of any delivery people dying either.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,797,578 times
The border agents (and others) use those bladder bag type of water bottles strapped to their backs with the over the shoulder straw (military style).

Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 PM

19,466 posts, read 27,995,188 times
Your clothing can make a world of difference. Loose fitting clothes. Try to leave the belt at hoe. No polyester - stick with natural materials. Wear a hat and sunscreen. And find a comfortable, light weight pair of shoes or Teva's.

Welcome to the Valley. It's a wonderful place to live and we shall miss it when we move next month (ironically, to NC, where you are coming from!)

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,142,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
The border agents (and others) use those bladder bag type of water bottles strapped to their backs with the over the shoulder straw (military style).
Same with bicycle cops. Costco sells them. Or any sports store. Ask for a Camelbak, though other brands make them.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 PM

31 posts, read 101,234 times
While few if any delivery truck drivers die from heat, plenty of them DO get heat stroke. You have some great suggestions here on how to avoid it. Stay hydrated, stay in the shade (even if shade means hat, sunglasses). If you think you are drinking too much water, drink more. Read up on the symptomns of heatstroke and have it in mind.

Sunscreen, lots of it. And thank you for getting our packages to us, it's a tough job in the heat!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:32 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,251,589 times
It can't be over-emphasized about drinking water, even when you think you don't need to. Because of the very low humidity here, your perspiration evaporates immediately - so it's not like you see wet spots on your shirt or feel clammy most times. In other words, because of the low humidity you don't even realize how much you may be sweating, so drink, drink, drink, even when you think you don't need to.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 AM

846 posts, read 1,406,580 times
A high quality, insulated water bottle. Even if it costs $30. It will keep things cold. I had a slick stainless insulated Camelback bottle (just lost it).

I agree with the other suggestions too. The good, lightweight clothes you find at places like REI are expensive but they are lightweight and much cheaper than a bill from an emergency after a heat stroke. People say "it's not as bad... it's a dry heat"--I get it. I've lived many places with brutal humidity. But if you are not used to it... it can be a shock.

Plenty of people die each summer from it. Go prepared, know your limits, don't over do it.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 AM

267 posts, read 695,013 times
Would some electrolyte replacement be good, also? I'm thinking it would be particularly important during the first weeks of becoming acclimated to the climate, when the sweating and loss of body salts would be particularly acute.

Note: I'm not a medico and I don't play one on television, so someone more knowledgeable should comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: