Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times

Advertisements

One way to receive excellent service is learning how to screen companies beforehand. I attempt to get estimates. And if they don't provide free estimates, I don't bother hiring the company. While acquiring estimates, you are more or less interviewing those companies. I've gotten several estimates from companies that provided a very reasonable price but I didn't particularly like the approach of the company and didn't feel like I could work with that person. I like companies that are organized and provide friendly customer service. For example, I did this with a landscaping company I hired recently. Prior to hiring them, I interviewed several companies and some companies were cheaper but were rude, disorganized, showed up late to provide the estimate, were not very detail oriented in how they presented their services or answered questions. Getting an estimate can't tell you everything about a company but it can tell you a lot; if someone says they are going to stop by at 3 PM to provide an estimate and they show up at 4:30 and don't call in advance to tell you they are running late or apologize, you don't want to hire that company. I hired the company I had the best experience with and they have not failed to disappoint.

Whenever hiring a service or company, try to do the same. Get estimates and use your gut instinct. If the person is not that friendly during the "courting process" they are unlikely to get friendlier later on.

I don't get estimates to obtain the cheapest price. I get estimates to interview the company. I'm happy to pay a higher price if I'm receiving good service and peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Based on my personal experience, I would not recommend filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The BBB is not a government organization. It's a private organization that charges companies to register with them annually. Companies pay the BBB to be filed with them. Some of the BBB's practices were discussed on ABC's 20/20. Based on my experience, the BBB was hesitant to publish negative reviews about companies unless they receive many which is a number they don't specify.

Better Business Bureau Probe | Video - ABC News

My recommendation is to post a review on Yelp. Yelp is arguably the most popular and well read review site, it's the Facebook of review sites. It's free and you can be anonymous. It's linked to Facebook so a lot of people will read your review. If they are not listed on Yelp, you can create a page for them instantly and then review them. I've hired people based on yelp reviews and they were accurate. Go to

Phoenix Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors

I would also post a review on Angies List as others stated. That is also a great idea.

Finally, when posting a negative review, be professional and accurate. State exactly what they did and be careful how you phrase things. For example saying "They provide terrible service" is different than "In my experience, I didn't feel like they provided good service" Don't state anything that isn't true.

This, the BBB is a joke. You'll find companies with 20+ complaints in 12 months in under a year having an A+ rating and the BBB actually lists one of the reasons for the high rating as "the companies response to 20 complaints."

The BBB makes money off of companies paying for accreditation.....they're more liable to these companies than they are to consumers, the only companies they really nail are the obvious scum-bucket types that are glaringly obvious. Your BBB rating generally is as good as you can afford to pay, period.

When it comes to dealing with unruly contractors, if they require licensing, the ROC is by FAR the best way to get things done, if they don't, then Ripoff Report, Yelp, Kudzu, Angie's List and Citysearch are all good places to warn others about shoddy service.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,135,881 times
I agree that the BBB is a joke.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
If you want to file a complaint, contact these people and explain your situation, they'll tell you what you can or cannot do. If they are a licensable company they will tell you and take appropriate action.
Arizona Registrar of Contractors
3838 N. Central Avenue, Suite 400, Phoenix AZ 85012
Arizona Registrar of Contractors
Phone Number: 602.542.1525
Fax Number: 602.542.1599
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area