Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM

22 posts, read 52,296 times

Advertisements

We hired a pool service to clean the pool. Supposedly the tech came 3 weeks(never saw him), never vacuumed the bottom of the pool any of the weeks, one week left the hose running til we got home (at least 8 or 9 hours!), last week the pool was completely green. Needless to say we called once to say the hose was on and we were not happy with the cleaning. Second time I called and said the service was completely unacceptable and I expected someone out to take care of the green pool immediately. Owner never called back or sent the tech. Hubby called last night ant left message that service was being cancelled.

Now this crazy guy has sent us a threatening email stating we are unreasonable and demanding :} and that he is demanding payment for four weeks of service (although only supposedly serviced the pool 3 times) by 5 pm tomorrow or else. Who can I report this jerk to in Phoenix? BBB? Is there an occupational license required for pool services?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
I've used the Better Business Bureau a few times, not pool related though, and boy it did resolve things quickly. Maybe go to the manager of the company first and if no results, go to the BBB.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,776,396 times
I would just pay them and fire them. Arguing about the one week missed will be a he said/she said issue and you won't be able to win. It is not worth the hassle.

Get referrals from neighbors for reliable pool companies. I've found that the individual pool tech who does all his own work has been more reliable.

The big companies overload their techs and the techs take short cuts so they can get all their work done as early as they can.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM

Default PS Just found out Tech is his teenage son...

so that might explain why this guy is so defensive! Either that or teenage son hijacked the email account and is the one who replied with the over the top crazy message.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 PM

363 posts, read 929,739 times
Do a BBB complaint as well as a negative entry on Angie's list. It takes a couple of minutes of your time and will potentialy put a dent in his future contracts.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Based on my personal experience, I would not recommend filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The BBB is not a government organization. It's a private organization that charges companies to register with them annually. Companies pay the BBB to be filed with them. Some of the BBB's practices were discussed on ABC's 20/20. Based on my experience, the BBB was hesitant to publish negative reviews about companies unless they receive many which is a number they don't specify.

Better Business Bureau Probe | Video - ABC News

My recommendation is to post a review on Yelp. Yelp is arguably the most popular and well read review site, it's the Facebook of review sites. It's free and you can be anonymous. It's linked to Facebook so a lot of people will read your review. If they are not listed on Yelp, you can create a page for them instantly and then review them. I've hired people based on yelp reviews and they were accurate. Go to

Phoenix Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors

I would also post a review on Angies List as others stated. That is also a great idea.

Finally, when posting a negative review, be professional and accurate. State exactly what they did and be careful how you phrase things. For example saying "They provide terrible service" is different than "In my experience, I didn't feel like they provided good service" Don't state anything that isn't true.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-30-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 PM

Thanks everyone. I am definitely going to do the yelp and angie's list reviews...all I have to do is post his emails and they will speak for themselves lol!

Just for the record, does a company like this need an operating or an occupational license in Phoenix?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM

157 posts, read 356,417 times
Only if they are doing repairs in excess of 1,000. For routine maintance, no need to be registered with the ROC. They do need a business license in their respective city unless they are getting paid cash by their clientel. Lots of small operation pool companies operating this way. Just out of curiosity, when you say they "left the hose on", does that mean they are putting water into the pool?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,776,396 times
I would urge extreme caution before bad mouthing a company on the internet. It can be very easy for that company to sue you for libel.

You're only anonymous until their attorney files with the court and gets a court order for the web site owners to provide your identity. They can and will find you.

Also, there are two stories to every conflict, and although you may be right, and I believe you are, they can also go on the same sites and post a lot of dirt about you, and how badly you treated them, and cheated them out of a weeks pay.

There are lots of ways they can get back at you, therefore, in my opinion it is not worth the hassle.

Again I suggest to just chalk it up to a learning experience and stop stressing over it. Pay them and get them out of your life. Life is too short.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 AM

7 posts, read 12,369 times
well that is a very unacceptable service and i am quite glad that it hadn't happened to me yet (and hopefully would never happen) I was just thinking, have you filed your personal complaint in the company i mean, in most cases, the company 9or the manager) were the ones that deals with the reconciliation of both parties (the home owner and cleaning service provider) to avoid further repercussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area