Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,135,881 times

Advertisements

As a tenant I'd want to be registered. I would want to be able to use the pools and such, without worrying about anyone wondering if I'm trespassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
As a tenant I'd want to be registered. I would want to be able to use the pools and such, without worrying about anyone wondering if I'm trespassing.
Ok, take a large subdivision like Marley Park, if you lived way out on the edge of it and go to the pool etc do you think people will know who you are and that you own a house there? I'd say probably not. I'd guess as long as you have the key/code or whatever it took to get in the gate it'd be assumed you belong. I can see an HOA with amenities needing to know two things. The actual property renter's name and the address that's being rented.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,135,881 times
I would want there to be a way to prove you belong there. What's to stop trespassers from just saying they're renters, if there's no registry?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,925,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We paid $100 in Vistancia to register our tenants. The HOA has the right to know who is living in the home and how many are living there. We also provide a copy of the lease agreement. Insuring their stuff is their business and that is a bit odd.
Where do you come up with this? If the home was owner occupied, the HOA is not going to have any of this same information. I fail to see how it is anybody's business who and how many people live in a private home. All of this crap smacks of an HOA that is making it a point to treat renters like second class citizens. This almost makes me want to find a landlord in Vistancia, sign a lease and sue the HOA into oblivion.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
We have ID cards that allow access to the facilities. The HOA rent-a-cops will also ask people if they are residents when using the trails, lakes, playgrounds etc. Renters have to be registered and have an ID as well if they want to use any amenities. It's private property and we don't want freeloaders and riff-raff using them. What's the big deal?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We have ID cards that allow access to the facilities. The HOA rent-a-cops will also ask people if they are residents when using the trails, lakes, playgrounds etc. Renters have to be registered and have an ID as well if they want to use any amenities. It's private property and we don't want freeloaders and riff-raff using them. What's the big deal?
I get that and don't disagree with the card since that's the method they use for access control BUT it's one thing to have the choice to use the facilities and get the cards or not, it's another to be forced.
My concern is only related to HAVING to give up all this info just to rent the house.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
It should be interesting to watch how HOAs deal with the large number of renters now that so many investors have purchased homes. I suspect we haven't heard the last of this issue.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Where do you come up with this? If the home was owner occupied, the HOA is not going to have any of this same information. I fail to see how it is anybody's business who and how many people live in a private home. All of this crap smacks of an HOA that is making it a point to treat renters like second class citizens. This almost makes me want to find a landlord in Vistancia, sign a lease and sue the HOA into oblivion.

Hoas don't have to even * allow * renters.

Hoas aren't the government, they can do things the government can't do.

Just like the "boy scouts" don't have to allow girls to join, they're private organizations, and can do as they please.

Did you know there are hoas that write speeding tickets?

If you live there & don't pay, they can Lein your house. If you don't live there & don't pay a ticket they can ban you from the property.
Those rent-a-cops could be doing "freedom groping" if the hoa wanted to, and your choice would be to allow the groping or move.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
Renters are not treated like second class citizens at all. The HOA can, and some do, have covenants that do not allow rentals. That is to make sure that people buying into the community can get an FHA loan if they desire.

The HOA holds the owner responsible for any violations, so they need to know the mailing address of the owner, and need to see a copy of the lease in order to register the tenants in their database. Any letters of violation will go to the tenant at the home, and to the owner at their address.

The normal legal restriction is 2 persons to a bedroom. Any landlord can impose that restriction. The lease agreement will show the HOA how many people are "supposed" to be in there. This is to guard against a home becoming a drop house, or a boarding house.

If a tenant can't live by the HOA rules in the community, then they should choose another community.

It would be extremely difficult for a tenant to sue an HOA, since they only have a lease for the property. They do not have homeownership.

As long as tenants keep up the property, and abide by the HOA rules, as required in their lease, then a tenant in a community is a good neighbor that others will respect.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,763,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I did not come up with this, it is a requirement of our HOA. So I suppose you would not have a problem living next to a drop house.or a drug den..good for you. The census every year takes head counts and I don't feel like a second class citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area