Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,931,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I did not come up with this, it is a requirement of our HOA. So I suppose you would not have a problem living next to a drop house.or a drug den..good for you. The census every year takes head counts and I don't feel like a second class citizen.
Are you as an owner forced to give the HOA a list of all people that live in your house? If not, why treat renters differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Are you as an owner forced to give the HOA a list of all people that live in your house? If not, why treat renters differently?
For use of the facilities, there has to be some way, with a card or whatever, to identify someone who either is the owner, or is authorized by the owner through living in the house with the owner, to be there.( I don't think a list of names is necessarily required in that instance.)

Renters have to have a card or some other authorization, for the same reason, and they need to be registered by name for that and other reasons. If there are no common facilities like a pool or playground or whatever, it matters less who is living in the house with the homeowner. Renters do still need to be identified, for violation issues, etc., as noted upthread.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
For use of the facilities, there has to be some way, with a card or whatever, to identify someone who either is the owner, or is authorized by the owner through living in the house with the owner, to be there.( I don't think a list of names is necessarily required in that instance.)

Renters have to have a card or some other authorization, for the same reason, and they need to be registered by name for that and other reasons. If there are no common facilities like a pool or playground or whatever, it matters less who is living in the house with the homeowner. Renters do still need to be identified, for violation issues, etc., as noted upthread.
I would say that with posters tossing out comments about drop houses and drug dealers, which actually proves that I am correct and these rules are based mainly in some bigoted bias against renters, that the rule has zero to do with the use of any facilities. Even if it did, I still have not seen anyone explain why owners and the people that live with them should be treated any differently than people that rent.

One poster said the HOA had the right to know who was living in the house. My question is why doesn't the HOA consider it important enough to require this same information from property owners. That is why I suspect that any HOA with these kinds of rules is doing it not for any practical reason except to hassle renters and their landlords.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I would say that with posters tossing out comments about drop houses and drug dealers, which actually proves that I am correct and these rules are based mainly in some bigoted bias against renters, that the rule has zero to do with the use of any facilities. Even if it did, I still have not seen anyone explain why owners and the people that live with them should be treated any differently than people that rent.

One poster said the HOA had the right to know who was living in the house. My question is why doesn't the HOA consider it important enough to require this same information from property owners. That is why I suspect that any HOA with these kinds of rules is doing it not for any practical reason except to hassle renters and their landlords.
Others who have posted in this thread and live in HOA areas would tend to disagree with you, evidently. HOA CC and Rs don't have to allow rentals AT ALL (which would avoid the alleged "hassle" altogether) but if they do, they have a right to know who the renters are, for any number of reasons.

I don't know that some HOA's DON'T require the same info from property owners. I don't live in an HOA area, so I don't have personal experience.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:25 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,785,484 times
Quote:
Why do you protest so much? such a silly thing to get so ruffled over. We treat our renters very well thank you and we do not have a bias regarding renters. Me thinks you protest too much.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Why do you protest so much? such a silly thing to get so ruffled over. We treat our renters very well thank you and we do not have a bias regarding renters. Me thinks you protest too much.

Right. I would think any HOA would rather have a good renter in a home than have it be vacant, which they've seen plenty of recently.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,744,106 times
Quote:

There's certainly no bias against renters coming from me , I've been one myself not that long ago, and I currently own a couple of rental houses - neither of which is in an hoa community. That said, the information I request from tenants is highly intrusive, far beyond what any hoa would require. It has nothing to do with a tenant being a "2nd class citizen" and everything to to with protecting my investment.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM

65 posts, read 160,171 times
At Zippy - "If you live there & don't pay, they can Lien your house." In Arizona. any fine issued by an HOA is a civil matter. If not paid the only way they can force you to pay is to go to Superior Court and attempt to convince a judge to issue a judgement. They must convice the judge that the fine is just and conforms to the contractural agreement (CC&Rs) and also does not confict with any state or federal laws. If they do get a judgement, they can then file a lien on the home. However, in Arizona a lien based on a fine cannot be used to foreclose on the property and can only be collected if and when the property is transferred. Of course there are other legal methods to attempt collection of a judgement.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Sco

Quote:
If no bias against renters, then why make the comments about drop houses and drugs?

Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
There's certainly no bias against renters coming from me , I've been one myself not that long ago, and I currently own a couple of rental houses - neither of which is in an hoa community. That said, the information I request from tenants is highly intrusive, far beyond what any hoa would require. It has nothing to do with a tenant being a "2nd class citizen" and everything to to with protecting my investment.
I have no issue with any arrangement between a landlord and tenant. You can do whatever a tenant is willing to live with. I have a huge problem with an HOA inserting themselves into a private transaction and establishing bureaucratic hurdles that the property owner may think are unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area