Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times

Advertisements

Yeah - no way you were getting a ticket there and if savvy there would have been nothing that should stick to you because getting pulled over for going 32 in a 35 isn't a legal stop

However, many people do get hit with other items on these fishing trips and goodyear police are still a little notorious for such things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,782,512 times
I complained to the cops about people not yielding to pedestrians at the school crosswalk. I have also called a school or two about leaving the signs out all week.....and it does seem like the charter schools do this.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:08 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,746,654 times
Something that bugs me about Phoenix drivers, particularly recent transplants, is that they don't understand how the 15 mph school zones work. The limit is 15 mph while approaching the crosswalk. Once you cross the crosswalk, you can resume whatever is the legal speed for that street. It is not uncommon to get behind someone who remains at 15 mph until they pass the sign for the oncoming lane.

Another thing to note is the "no passing" aspect of the school zone. I learned that by being stopped by a police officer shortly after I moved here. It was a four lane street and I was a car length or so behind the car in the other lane. There was a police car off to the side and although we had both been going 15, the other guy slowed to 10 or so. I figured that 15 was slow enough, cop or no cop, and ended up ahead of the other car. The officer said that that was "passing". If you are behind someone in the other lane and get ahead of them, in a school zone, you have broken the law. All I got was a warning but I no longer "pass" in a school zone.

Some interesting information about school zones:
News Releases

Last edited by pbenjamin; 05-24-2012 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,134,061 times
Quote:
Something that bugs me about Phoenix drivers, particularly recent transplants, is that they don't understand how the 15 mph school zones work. The limit is 15 mph while approaching the crosswalk. Once you cross the crosswalk, you can resume whatever is the legal speed for that street. It is not uncommon to get behind someone who remains at 15 mph until they pass the sign for the oncoming lane.
I agree it's common but I don't think it's unique to Phoenix. It's probably also worth noting that while you no longer have to go under 15mph after the crosswalk, you certainly may. I don't accelerate too quickly in those areas. I don't hold it to under 15mph but I don't gun it to get back to 25 before the next sign, either. A little slowness, especially around kids and crossing guards, doesn't hurt.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,229,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Thanks, had no idea that is how it works. I always thought the "school zone" was between the signs.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:45 PM

272 posts, read 609,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Thanks, had no idea that is how it works. I always thought the "school zone" was between the signs.
Good info. I've driven through several school zones out here (Chicagoland) that have "Start" and "End" signs - you have to maintain the lower speed until you pass the "End" sign.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Good info. I've driven through several school zones out here (Chicagoland) that have "Start" and "End" signs - you have to maintain the lower speed until you pass the "End" sign.
Don't confuse school zones and crosswalks. They are not the same as crosswalks. As I said above, many if not all schools have zones around them. School zones DO have start and end signs and may have flashing lights at the start. The speed in elementary school zones is reduced to 25 and in high school zones to 35. This is what the OP was nabbed in, not the crosswalk where the speed is 15 mph on approaching it.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM

272 posts, read 609,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Don't confuse school zones and crosswalks. They are not the same as crosswalks. As I said above, many if not all schools have zones around them. School zones DO have start and end signs and may have flashing lights at the start. The speed in elementary school zones is reduced to 25 and in high school zones to 35. This is what the OP was nabbed in, not the crosswalk where the speed is 15 mph on approaching it.
Thanks. I'll remember that.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM

453 posts, read 1,629,035 times
I was coming home from work after working 16 hours, he was very, very nasty and intimidating to me, he made me get out of the car to tell me he was one of the 1% in AZ who have been trained to detect drug use in a person. I almost peed my pants, I had my uniform on and am 57 years old. He asked me why my eyes were darting, said it was a sign of meth use, I told him I was scared, he said stick out your tongue which I did and after drinking coffee for 16 hours, he told me that my taste buds were gone. I didn't know wether to laugh at him, cry or what to do. Granted, I was probably doing 34 but I was so scared that I literally almost had a heart attack, I fainted hitting my head on the pavement, when I woke up, one cop said I was out almost 2 minutes, an ambulance was there taking me to the hospital. About an hour after being in the hospital this cop came and said to me, I don't know why you were so nervous, I wasn't going to arrest you anyway. Can you believe it? I am a single woman driving home from work. I have a concouscion, my neck is killing me, he towed my car and it cost me $129 to get out of impound and I won't tell you how much in lost wages the next day. Now some of you will think I am telling a tall tale here but I swear on my mother's grave this just happened to me last Friday night.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
I was coming home from work after working 16 hours, he was very, very nasty and intimidating to me, he made me get out of the car to tell me he was one of the 1% in AZ who have been trained to detect drug use in a person. I almost peed my pants, I had my uniform on and am 57 years old. He asked me why my eyes were darting, said it was a sign of meth use, I told him I was scared, he said stick out your tongue which I did and after drinking coffee for 16 hours, he told me that my taste buds were gone. I didn't know wether to laugh at him, cry or what to do. Granted, I was probably doing 34 but I was so scared that I literally almost had a heart attack, I fainted hitting my head on the pavement, when I woke up, one cop said I was out almost 2 minutes, an ambulance was there taking me to the hospital. About an hour after being in the hospital this cop came and said to me, I don't know why you were so nervous, I wasn't going to arrest you anyway. Can you believe it? I am a single woman driving home from work. I have a concouscion, my neck is killing me, he towed my car and it cost me $129 to get out of impound and I won't tell you how much in lost wages the next day. Now some of you will think I am telling a tall tale here but I swear on my mother's grave this just happened to me last Friday night.
I hope you got his badge number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area