Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 PM

453 posts, read 1,627,831 times

Advertisements

does anyone know what the law in AZ is in regards to a school zone after hours, say like 2 am in the morning? I was told I was going 34 in a 25 school zone by a motorcycle cop. Do the speed laws run 24 hours a day even though not in school? I honestly didn't see the sign but it was 2 am and dark. No, I was not drinking either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:00 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
does anyone know what the law in AZ is in regards to a school zone after hours, say like 2 am in the morning? I was told I was going 34 in a 25 school zone by a motorcycle cop. Do the speed laws run 24 hours a day even though not in school? I honestly didn't see the sign but it was 2 am and dark. No, I was not drinking either.
Was the school zone in a residential neighborhood? The reason I ask is the default speed limit is 25 mph. As far as school zone speed limits, they are only valid on the times listed or when there are flashing lights.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
School zones are 15 mph, generally, but a lot of them are in areas where the speed limit at other times is 25. The 15 MPH would not have been in effect at 2am, but the 25 would.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
The cop probably only mentioned the school zone for emphasis purposes. They probably feel more protective of those zones overall. Even after hours, the schools can be sort of a bad place to speed by. People take their kids to play after it cools off, or walk their dogs, or older kids just go hang out or shoot hoops. 2am probably not, but speeding is speeding and most people that will speed down a street at 2am will do it at 3pm and 6pm.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
The limit is most likely 25. School zone would be 15. So the cop is probably correct saying 34 in a 25. During school hours it would have been a much bigger ticket. If you had been drinking it would have been a DUI. They can charge/arrest you with lesser DUI's in Az. It does not have to be .08

Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
A lot of correct information on here

School zones are at 15mph

Many are located in residential neighborhoods that are 25mph

In my experience both tend to be enforced fairly strictly in neighborhoods that have both

At 2am police are looking for reasons to pull you over - so even more important to know your speeds - sounds like you weren't drinking, but ibarrio is correct - .08 is just the mark for presumption of impairment (it's .04 if you are operating a CDL vehicle) ...... otherwise if you are under .05 it's presumed you are not impaired

Quote:
G. In a trial, action or proceeding for a violation of this section or section 28-1383 other than a trial, action or proceeding involving driving or being in actual physical control of a commercial vehicle, the defendant's alcohol concentration within two hours of the time of driving or being in actual physical control as shown by analysis of the defendant's blood, breath or other bodily substance gives rise to the following presumptions:

1. If there was at that time 0.05 or less alcohol concentration in the defendant's blood, breath or other bodily substance, it may be presumed that the defendant was not under the influence of intoxicating liquor.

2. If there was at that time in excess of 0.05 but less than 0.08 alcohol concentration in the defendant's blood, breath or other bodily substance, that fact shall not give rise to a presumption that the defendant was or was not under the influence of intoxicating liquor, but that fact may be considered with other competent evidence in determining the guilt or innocence of the defendant.

3. If there was at that time 0.08 or more alcohol concentration in the defendant's blood, breath or other bodily substance, it may be presumed that the defendant was under the influence of intoxicating liquor.

H. Subsection G of this section does not limit the introduction of any other competent evidence bearing on the question of whether or not the defendant was under the influence of intoxicating liquor.
Format Document

Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
There are school zones and then there are school crosswalks. School zones are placed around the entirety of a campus and are 25 mph when school is in session for elementary/middle schools and 35, again when in session, for high schools. Cross walks are 15 when signage is present. The schools zones in my area are clearly marked with a yellow flashing light and even radar speed indicators when the rules apply.

Note to newbies: the 15 mph applies only when approaching the crosswalk. Once you get past the crosswalk you can go back up to whatever the allowed speed limit is.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Note to newbies: the 15 mph applies only when approaching the crosswalk. Once you get past the crosswalk you can go back up to whatever the allowed speed limit is.
I always remember that because it was the one question I missed on my written test back in the 80s.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
just note that many schools have multiple crosswalks and usually one at every corner of access ..... so as soon as you leave one you are probably approaching another

there will usually be signs and/or flashing lights to help guide you ...... not to mention if it's during drop off a slew of other vehicles

Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
They just built a Charter School near our house and they have portable signs that they put out near the crosswalks and at each end of the school and they are supposed to move them at the end of the school day. Well, this school was leaving them out all the time and they say "School in session, limit 15 mph" while the normal limit is 35mph.

I was pulled over on a Saturday and told I was speeding 32 in this zone which is posted 35 on the permanent signs but since they were too lazy to remove the portable signs he said the posted 15mph signs were now the posted limit. He didn't give me a ticket but gave me a warning.

I called the city the next day and complained and they went and talked to the school and now the school moves them every day at the end of the school day. Shortly after this they changed the permanent signs to 25mph.

So, I would say it is the limit unless it says "when school in session".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area