Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Mesa, then, after about 30 years, made the big move to Gilbert. Parts of Mesa were on a downhill trend, but I've seen a lot of improvement in the last few years. The current Mayor, Scott Smith, has brought new life to the city. He was recently voted one of the best elected officials in Arizona. Here is an entertaining video: 2012 Best of the Capitol - Best Elected Officials: Greg Stanton & Scott Smith on Vimeo The city is working on a revitilization plan for the Fiesta District. They also approved some very nice projects, but they have been delayed due to the economy; Gaylord resort/conference center in the SE part of Mesa; Waveyard - which would have been an awesome resort, water park, retail, residential, commercial area. Don't forget that ground breaking will soon begin for the new Cubs Spring Training facility, which I'm sure will be top notch. Also, the light rail just started an expansion project that will go through downtown Mesa.

Yes, Mesa is an older city, but definitly not dead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:01 PM

240 posts, read 838,336 times
Quote:
Now the newest areas are to the extreme eastern fringes while the older western parts are falling into decay.
Quote:
Some of Mesa isn't what I'd like to live in but that's mainly on the westerly side of Mesa.
Quote:
As has been stated, Mesa is an older town and today much of the western part of Mesa is older homes in lower socioeconomic areas.

Hmm... I'd like to point out to those seemingly in-the-know that Dobson Ranch is in western Mesa, and that part of Dobson Ranch has (a) the same level of income as Val Vista Lakes and (b) a higher level of education that Val Vista Lakes. Proof? 2010 Census. Check it out. Now don't get me wrong, I like Val Vista Lakes, I'm just using it for comparison purposes. And, I do agree that there are certain areas in western Mesa that are less than desirable to some people, but blanket statements don't necessarily apply to all of western Mesa.

Now... Dobson Ranch in western Mesa is sometimes given credit for areas to which it is not responsible. Dobson Ranch is southeast of the 101/60 interchange, as shown by the yellow areas (sometimes discontiguous) in the following picture. I took the pic today to show you the Dobson Ranch boundaries. And, yes, there are some strip malls in the area that have lost businesses, c'mon recovery, but bring me to say McCormick Ranch and I bet I'll find closed businesses there too. Now I'm not picking on McCormick Ranch either. Just comparing.

And here are some neighborhood shots I took of Dobson Ranch, in western Mesa. Not a decaying, lower socioeconomic area, huh?!

And finally a video taken by me today of just one street in Dobson Ranch, western Mesa. Not $2,500,000 but nice, right?!

Now normally I'd just ignore a thread like this, but naysayers... enough is enough. Not all of western Mesa is an old, poor dump! Older, sure, by Phoenix metro standards, if you know what I mean. But someday all of the current metro area is going to be "older" and then what?! IMO Mesa gets an undeserved and/or over exaggerated bad rap. Anyway...

Hopfilly ya injoyd me post. Signin off frum... western Mesa... gonna chek me pockit un see if me gots enuf of der greenbacks to git me a birgur from dat Fiesta Mall area un hopfilly wun me gits back to me shak it'll still be, um, standin so me haves a place ta slep tunite.

LOL!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
I didn't mean to insinuate that ALL of western Mesa has edgy areas and I'm sure Captain Bill didn't either. Heck, parts of east Mesa are a bit run down as well. What the point was is that Mesa, just like any other city, has it's good areas and not so good areas.
Your area looks fabulous.
No worries.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 PM

Hey, no problem. Just wanted to post up some info and defend western Mesa. Nothing personal. I've enjoyed reading your journey from PNW to here.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 PM

512 posts, read 948,136 times
@ Dura thanks for always sticking up for Mesa and Dobson Ranch! I kind of like it here and get a good laugh from reading the negative posts

Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Hey, no problem. Just wanted to post up some info and defend western Mesa. Nothing personal. I've enjoyed reading your journey from PNW to here.
Well, thank you. It's definitely been an interesting journey. Absolutely love it here so far. Even the heat although I must admit, today was a bit over the top as I was working outside but the pool made all the difference in the world. HA.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 AM

267 posts, read 693,030 times
I enjoy the diversity of western Mesa and feel sorry for people who don't get a lot of diversity in their neighborhood.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Hmm... I'd like to point out to those seemingly in-the-know that Dobson Ranch is in western Mesa, and that part of Dobson Ranch has (a) the same level of income as Val Vista Lakes and (b) a higher level of education that Val Vista Lakes. Proof? 2010 Census. Check it out. Now don't get me wrong, I like Val Vista Lakes, I'm just using it for comparison purposes. And, I do agree that there are certain areas in western Mesa that are less than desirable to some people, but blanket statements don't necessarily apply to all of western Mesa.
It's good that you brought this up. My statement was: "Mesa is an older town and today much of the western part of Mesa is older homes in lower socioeconomic areas". (Please notice I did not say all.)

I apologize that I didn't clarify because I'm well aware of Dobson Ranch and agree it is a great community. There are also some very nice communities in the northern sections of west Mesa, and a lot or people love the older homes.

My main point in that post was that we should not classify parts of a city or a community by the race or national origin of the majority of people who live there, because that is discriminatory.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Hey, no problem here either. Like I said, I just wanted to post up some info and defend western Mesa. The word "much" to some people is like "a lot" to others and "the majority" to the rest. Just representing. Nothing personal. I enjoy reading your real estate updates.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times
Who gravitates to Mesa?

I guess I do since I drive there almost on a daily basis! Ok...my excursions are work-related but still...there are nice little places if you know where to look (I am thinking of almost hidden places like the wonderful 'In the Bungalow' and a few non-chain Mexican and Greek restaurants that look kinda cheap from the outside but have delicious food!) . Most of Phoenix Metro is like this, it's so spread out, you have to know where to find the gems and diamonds in the rough. And just because a neighborhood is poor or old doesn't necessarily mean that it's crime-or-drug infested.

For example, in West Mesa, those neighborhoods around Alma School just south of the 202 are mostly old ranch homes, but they've got those huge, beautiful, mature trees and remind one of neighborhoods that those of us who grew up in the 70s are familiar with...kids playing with dogs in the grass, people working on their yards, etc. Flags displayed proudly on the 4th. Looking at homes values on Zillow, imo doesn't tell the whole story, it can't indicate the quality of life.

One of the most perfectly-shaped Jacarandas I've ever seen is off of 10th St, bordering the Mesa Grande (Hohokum) archeological site. Go down 10th St in the spring and you will see a great colorful display of various flowers, trees, that rival almost any in metro Phoenix.

Speaking of the archeological site, that's another unique thing about Mesa...I can't wait till it opens to the public...how cool is it to have a slice of what was probably the first permanent settlement of people in Phoenix right in your backyard? And the thing is, the Hohokum weren't simply subsistence farmers, think more along the level of agricultural sophistication of Mayans or Incas, these guys created HUGE, complex irrigation systems sourced from the Salt River. They used caliche (the same caliche that gives us modern gardeners headaches!) to create homes. So Mesa should feel proud of having preserved at least a little piece of this connection to the past.

The Mesa Performing Arts Center is no slouch, either. For example, tonight one of the world's foremost guitarists, Tommy Emmanuel, is playing there. You can see a world-class performer with jaw-dropping virtuosity for the price of $25! I am a guitarist so naturally this means a lot to me, but even non-musicians would appreciate this guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area