Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,866 times

Advertisements

When it's 115 outside, is a white car really going to feel any "cooler" than a black car? Seems like just about everywhere at some point it gets over 100 degrees in the summer - including here in Michigan, and when it does, I don't feel like my black car is any hotter than someone's white car. 100+ degrees is just plain hot no matter what color your car is! Besides, if black cars are supposed to attract and hold the heat, then why doesn't my black car feel any "warmer" during the winter when it's freezing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 08:27 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,212,689 times
My personal take after just moving here recently (September 1): Once it gets 115' in the sun ANY car even no matter what color or with/without reflective shield/tinting is going to be HOT AS HECK if you leave it parked a while in an open space. I would make sure you get a good servicing on your AC and making sure the mechanicals are in good shape rather than worrying about the color if the car otherwise runs well. As I sit out on my patio, I can see part of a neighboring condo's parking lot. Out of the 20 cars or so I can see, 5 or 6 are black. (Now survey how many are BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Hummer or Lexus regardless of color lol!!!!....)

Old 09-29-2007, 09:56 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
My personal take after just moving here recently (September 1): Once it gets 115' in the sun ANY car even no matter what color or with/without reflective shield/tinting is going to be HOT AS HECK if you leave it parked a while in an open space. I would make sure you get a good servicing on your AC and making sure the mechanicals are in good shape rather than worrying about the color if the car otherwise runs well. As I sit out on my patio, I can see part of a neighboring condo's parking lot. Out of the 20 cars or so I can see, 5 or 6 are black. (Now survey how many are BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Hummer or Lexus regardless of color lol!!!!....)
Oh please don't open that can of worms . . . AGAIN!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,714,403 times
A black vehicle will absorb more heat than say a white or gray one but TONS of people drive black vehicles in the Valley. My Yukon is black with a cashmere interior and it cools down as soon as I get in it and turn on the air. The color of your car will have NO effect on the performance of your vehicle so no worries there. A black car will sell just as well as a white or grey car.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:05 AM

88 posts, read 483,070 times
If it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about the color (but do understand your concern) IMO a Volvo is a good car, and if you keep up the regular maintenace on it should be be good to go until you can get out from under that upside-down situation. When I was young, I got myself into the same situation because I didn't know enough- you live and you learn.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:17 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
LOL @ Ivanabacowboy . . . ok, I'll bite, HOW MANY and how many are black? ! ! ! !

Old 09-29-2007, 10:26 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martina26 View Post
1. Will the extreme desert summer heat have any affect on this car? Such as damage it or cause engine problems? I am so upset over being upside down on my loan and am trying so hard to pay it down and am now worrying about spending more money on this car if the desert heat proves too much for it. Its a black car with black tinted windows and black leather interior.
As long as you change your oil at the recommended intervals, and use the proper grade oil in the engine and drive train, your Volve will last a long time. I've seen plenty of cars with over 200,000 miles here in the desert and their engines still run great. You'll more than likely change batteries more often because of the brutally hot summers do definitely take their toll on them.

On the color of the vehicle - Black is definitely not the ideal color in Phoenix. If you like the car, I'd sell it before moving here, and buy the same car in a light color from a private party, forget dealerships.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:37 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,230,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Okay, I have an excuse: I'm over 50, retired, bored, have no life anyway and can't sleep. So does martina26...she's worried sick about owning a black car.

But uli2000, Bummer, sierraAZ and that crazy Turkish Guy: Why are you people reading and posting about car colors on a FRIDAY NIGHT???? GET A LIFE!!! Or one of you rent some movies and I'll go buy some beer. This is really sad .
How'd you know we don't have excuses...?! Or how'd you know that all of the above hasn't been done beforehand?! Why don't folks focus on their own sadness and leave other people's alone...

Old 09-29-2007, 11:15 AM

146 posts, read 739,208 times
Your hoses, belts, and tires will need to be replaced MUCH more often here in the heat! Also, the wind, sand and dust will cause your fuel filters and fuel pumps to clog
Tinted windows....DEFINITELY. Just be aware, if you drive into Cali you can be cited as tinted windows are illegal there (a friend of mine got cited just across the border from here). It didnt matter that her car was registered in AZ and is a "sister city" of Needles CA.

RE: color..... I LOVE my white Blazer! Cloth interior with cloth seatcovers.
I had leather seats in my white Caddy Eldo.....OUCH! Sheepskin covers were heaven, tho costly.

You may also want to think about a steering wheel cover, and insulated gloves to protect your hands from the metal on the door handles and ignition switch!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 AM

2,790 posts, read 7,464,442 times
Two out of my last three cars have been black -- both the interior and the exterior. My aunt called one of them "the funeral director's car," but that's the look I like.

I've never had a problem with trade-in value or summer heat. Of course, I'm lucky to have garage parking at work. If I had to deal with surface parking, I might feel differently.

For the most part, you can minimize problems with a really good window tint. Get the darkest shade allowed and have it applied professionally. Don't go for the cheapest tint, because nothing looks worse than a tint that is peeling.

I agree that black cars are harder to keep clean, but they're really not a big deal to own here, and I think they look sleeker. Just as Phoenix has too many beige houses, it also has too many white cars. There are times to blend in and times to stand out. There's a little too much blending in Phoenix, so I'm happy whenever I see bright color or bold black on buildings, cars, or anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area