Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,713,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Initially, as a believer in Christ, it may look like persecution. However, a closer look at the facts reveal it to be a zoning issue clouded by the religious aspect. Have read conflicting reports on the matter (the pastor allegedly had a history of gun violence, the 4.6-acre property wasn't zoned for a "church", etc.,) and still am not sure what to make of it all. The penalty seems a little stiff, in my opinion, though. The real question is why would the city spend the time and resources to go after this one individual when there are so many other, more pressing, issues facing the city?
Well, it's been going on for 4-5 years, which means years of ticked off neighbors complaining, and years of zoning violations. How long would you like to live next to a surprise zoning and/or code violation property? Our laws have to be enforced, and eventually, public officials have to take action on public complaints. I'm surprised it has taken this long, and that the pastor hasn't gotten the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,363,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Why is this hard for people to figure out?
The same reason you always hear the terms "honor student" or "nun" when describing a crime victim, as if such a designation makes the crime any worse.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,926,991 times
The pastor is also a felon that was convicted for shooting into a house during a drive by. That probably explains the need for a SWAT style raid.

This guy routinely has 40-50 people inside a building with no fire exits, no sprinkler system and only one door to get in or out. He was given a chance to fix the violations and continue with his scam to avoid paying any property taxes on his "church" and he refused.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,327,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I can guarantee one thing, if the religion angle wasn't a factor it would not have taken the police 5 years to get around to arresting someone that had been openly violating the law and essentially thumbing their nose at the entire notion of any type of governmental authority.

The "pastor" has gotten away with his violations for years, no way a non-religious oriented business venture in a residential neighborhood would get that same type of treatment.

This case is perfect for bringing out the persecution complex in some Christians though.
Exactly this not harmless neighbor Bob having some kids over for a Bible Study. This is a nut job with a history of gun violence who openly dismissed the law. The punishment was appropriate

Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 PM

73 posts, read 269,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The pastor is also a felon that was convicted for shooting into a house during a drive by. That probably explains the need for a SWAT style raid.

This guy routinely has 40-50 people inside a building with no fire exits, no sprinkler system and only one door to get in or out. He was given a chance to fix the violations and continue with his scam to avoid paying any property taxes on his "church" and he refused.
And if a fire broke out and those people were injured, the media wouldn't refer to him as a pastor but as a wacko cult leader. CNN, FOX... doesn't matter. Fear and loathing is always good for ratings.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:11 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaskychick View Post
And if a fire broke out and those people were injured, the media wouldn't refer to him as a pastor but as a wacko cult leader. CNN, FOX... doesn't matter. Fear and loathing is always good for ratings.
Yes, and a hue and cry would arise asking why Phoenix FD ever tolerated a situation they knew was is violation of code. I won't blame the pastor because I have not seen him do so, but the media (and to some degree this thread) is awash with people who are trying to use religion to make a political point. They do a disservice to true believers.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 PM

285 posts, read 906,504 times
City of Phoenix put out a fact sheet concerning the case against Mr Salman.
If anything, it's a good read.

Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Fact Sheet Regarding the Michael Salman Case

Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
City of Phoenix put out a fact sheet concerning the case against Mr Salman.
If anything, it's a good read.

Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Fact Sheet Regarding the Michael Salman Case
Makes the sentence sound pretty fair, actually.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 PM

370 posts, read 1,566,668 times
Well, at least it wasn't a sweat lodge in Sedona.....

Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,327,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaskychick View Post
So because he refers to himself as a "pastor" then he can't be a wacko cult leader, he automatically escapes culpability in your opinion? I fail to see why "wacko cult leader" is an inaccurate term. Based on what I read in the fact sheet and links, I see no reason to refer to him as anything but that in my opinion. I understand the media inflames situations but I also know that people can be naive and will rationalize acts based on preconceived stereotypes ie pastor as in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area