Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:18 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times

Advertisements

I'm partial to the campgrounds up on Mingus near Jerome. Good jumping off point for the nearby towns, and it's always a good time. I also like the Christopher Creek area up past Payson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,466 times
There is a fabulous campground near Prescott at Lynx Lake. There is water for drinking but no electricity, and water hookups aren't allowed. This would be a great early fall place for the kids as it is up in the cool pines. There is a small lake with trails all the way around, a small store and canoe/kayak rentals. My mother took her camper there, thinking it wouldn't be any good without hookups, but she liked the serenity so much she stayed 3 nights. Prescott is close enough you can go there to hit showers in a truck stop if you have to.

Closer to the Valley is Lake Pleasant Regional Park. It has full hookups. Could be crowded in the summer with boaters and you will likely hear the roar of boats all day, but there should be enough to do for the kids. There is a nature center and there are some easy hikes. This is not a serene location, and this is not a lake for swimming but you could probably be safe enough in a canoe or kayak in less crowded times. This is lower desert, so will be hot in summer.

Also in the desert close to the Valley is Cave Creek Regional Park. There are full hookups, and although it is more peaceful out there, there is no lake, just desert hills. Not much to do but hike.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,800 times
We ended up staying in a State Park....Homolovi State Park up near Winslow. It was wonderful! Sites not close together, clean bath house, hook ups and the place was quiet and pretty empty. We were able to visit the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert and the State Park has really cool Native Ruins that my boys loved. The ruins invovled some like "hiking" and that was a huge plus!

Thanks for all the ideas that you all have posted. We are going to be trying our hand at the dispersed camping. Ended up buying a generator for the camper and I have found lots of great location ideas based of the ideas that you all have shared!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
I am wondering if Sheeps Crossing near Springerville is still open. When I was a kid, my family would camp there. Of course that was 50 years ago. No water, no elec, there was pit toilets, I think?? No showers. But it was peaceful and beautiful. Dad liked to fish the streams there.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I am wondering if Sheeps Crossing near Springerville is still open. When I was a kid, my family would camp there. Of course that was 50 years ago. No water, no elec, there was pit toilets, I think?? No showers. But it was peaceful and beautiful. Dad liked to fish the streams there.
Winn Campground is located in the Lee Valley Recreation Area. Lee Valley Reservoir is just 2.2 miles away and offers wonderful fly and lure fishing (no bait allowed). The reservoir is stocked with apache trout in late spring and is one of the few places in the world where you can fish for them. The West Fork of the Little Colorado River is within walking distance through the forest to the west. Sheep's Crossing on the Little Colorado River is also nearby.

Winn Campground basically has everything you might need minus a local store, which is 10 miles back at Big Lake. Showers are on site as well as a couple of group camping sites. The camp host attests that this is the best campground in the white mountains. I might agree. The surrounding area is pristine.

(I took this from the www.CampArizona.com website - I've never been here)

Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
When it cools off, you can even camp just outside the city. Usery Mountain is a great place. The park rangers have all kinds of educational things for the kids and adults - check it out! And, if you've fogotten something, there is a Bashas' grocery store about 10 minutes away. The thought of desert camping never appealed to me, until I tried it. Seeing a pack of coyotes walk by, was very unique.
I live just south of Usery Mountain campgrounds. The Basha's is not 10 minutes away. It's more like 5 minutes. I drove through those campgrounds and I was impressed. Beautiful views and clean, roomy sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remspeople View Post
We ended up staying in a State Park....Homolovi State Park up near Winslow. It was wonderful! Sites not close together, clean bath house, hook ups and the place was quiet and pretty empty. We were able to visit the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert and the State Park has really cool Native Ruins that my boys loved. The ruins invovled some like "hiking" and that was a huge plus!

Thanks for all the ideas that you all have posted. We are going to be trying our hand at the dispersed camping. Ended up buying a generator for the camper and I have found lots of great location ideas based of the ideas that you all have shared!
One place that wasn't mentioned was Apache Lake. If you have a camper, I'd suggest going the back way past Saguaro to Punkin Center because the road in from Apache Junction is pretty wild. It's a spectacular drive but it can be daunting if you aren't familiar with it.
Anyway, it's relatively secluded, campsites right on the water, beautiful views of the lake and surrounding cliffs and the campsites have power and water. Not sure about sewer. The resort there has a small store and restaurant as well. They even have a little pub if you want to wet your whistle.
The lake is gorgeous and they have boat rentals if you so desire. A pontoon boat with the kids might be fun for an afternoon.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I live just south of Usery Mountain campgrounds. The Basha's is not 10 minutes away. It's more like 5 minutes. I drove through those campgrounds and I was impressed. Beautiful views and clean, roomy sites.
I must have been thinking round trip!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
I must have been thinking round trip!
I was just messin' with ya. Who cares if it's 5 minutes or 10 minutes. The point is that it's close.
No worries.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 AM

44 posts, read 165,046 times
Forest Lakes, Greer, Fools Hollow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area