Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,802 times

Advertisements

So we just moved to the area about 2 months ago. We camped up at the Grand Canyon (South Rim) two weeks ago and are hoping to camp again in the next few weeks. We have 3 young boys (9,6 and 4) and are planning to take our dog so we are looking for a place that would be good for them. We have a small camper so the location should have electric and water hook ups. Hoping that there will be some "sightseeing" ideas near the camping. We would like to stay within a few hours drive of Phoenix.

Looking for ideas. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 AM

7,789 posts, read 6,411,593 times
North rim of the Grand Canyon is quite different from the south rim.

Karchner Caverns are neat to visit.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:21 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
You are not going to find a lot of electric/water sites in AZ. The most popular camping by far, especially for younger families like yours, is dispersed camping in the forests. That is camping in undeveloped, non-campground areas. You have millions of acres to choose from. In summer, look to the north and east of Phoenix and in winter to the desert areas to the west. The best places with hookups are going to be in the state parks. I suggest you start with Fool Hollow SP near Show Low. For best fun and memories, though, you are going to have to take advantage of the huge amount of public land and get away from the crowds. Buy a little Honda generator for electric (you don't need AC in the mountains) needs and make do with less water and one of the major advantages to living in AZ will be yours.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 PM

603 posts, read 947,155 times
Ponderosa is correct. There are not a lot of sites around with camper hookups.

Have you ever heard of the "Grand Circle" National Parks? You're only a few hours away.

If you're going in a few weeks, I'd suggest looking up north. It's a bit hot & "monsoony" right now for a lot of the local areas. When things cool down a bit, I'd suggest the Superstitions (but I don't even think Lost Dutchman has hookups at their campground) & Sedona for quick weekend getaways.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,061,658 times
You'll find lots of camping information HERE. We usually head up on the Mogollon Rim - easy drive, but big change in weather. Enjoy!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,795,072 times
Arizona has the best camping in the world. Ok, I am really biased as I grew up there and am now stuck on the east coast where you have to camp right next to 50 other campsites.

I strongly urge you to go sans elect and plumbing and do some dispersed camping. It's great, and if you need gear (a six man tent for sure, maybe an 8, REI will rent it to you (better to buy and there is a sale starting friday...).

Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,061,658 times
When it cools off, you can even camp just outside the city. Usery Mountain is a great place. The park rangers have all kinds of educational things for the kids and adults - check it out! And, if you've fogotten something, there is a Bashas' grocery store about 10 minutes away. The thought of desert camping never appealed to me, until I tried it. Seeing a pack of coyotes walk by, was very unique.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,076,577 times
sometimes you can just look for a spot with the tell-tale fire ring as you drive along the unpaved back roads of Arizona....so much to explore....

if you MUST have electric (I've never stayed in one of those places), yeah, you'll probably have to stick to a National Park, State Park, or a private KOA-style joint (ugh)....research the various parks and make sure they'll have the hookup you want....reservations may be taken or not...can the kids entertain themselves if you stay in a primitive/dispersed spot??....

Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,356,135 times
Picacho Peak, and Saguaro Monument's Gilbert Ray, both have good electricity. We camped both in June and loved it.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,922,581 times
The campgrounds at Roosevelt Lake have electricity, but they are HUGE. The lake is also way down. Well, it was--we have been getting rain, so I don't know what level it is at now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area