Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 AM

10 posts, read 15,456 times

Advertisements

Hello! My other half and I have just moved from Omaha to Phoenix. We are looking to buy a house in the $120,000 range. He works near Metrocenter and I am working between the airport and downtown. We have started to look for houses, but it is difficult to know what the commute times will be. We like the Peoria area, but I think that would be a really long commute for me to get downtown and back everyday. We also like Tempe, which is closer to me, but farther from Metrocenter. Is the I-17 north okay during the morning commute? I would think it would be better than southbound. However, he would still have to get west, possibly through downtown, to get to the I-17. Does anyone have any suggestions about best routes or another safe place to live in that price range? Thanks!

BTW, my impression so far is that Phoenix is a nice city, but I don't know if I will get used to the lack of blinkers while driving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
I personally would not commute from Tempe to Metrocenter. Trying to get through downtown during morning rush hour would not be fun. Once you get to the 17 the traffic will not be bad at all going north though. I also wouldn't recommend Peoria, I think that is too far to your job but many people commute further so it just depends what you can handle.

If you want to be closer to Metrocenter I would look on the eastern side of the Sunnyslope neighborhood. It is right between the 17 and the 51, though I think the 51 would be better for you to get to your job because you won't need to go through downtown. It is also near several preserves and parks. Camelback East is also a good area, a bit closer to your job than Metrocenter but the commute times will be fairly comparable. It is easy to get to Metrocenter (take Camelback west then hop on 17N) and you can take the 51 south to where you work. I think these are good areas based on the budget you provided. There are two links below for a nice place in each neighborhood.

Sunnyslope
1149 E Cheryl Dr, Phoenix, AZ 85020 MLS# 4786255 - Zillow

Camelback East
4142 E Calle Redonda, Phoenix, AZ 85018 MLS# 4774906 - Zillow

Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM

10 posts, read 15,456 times
Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I didn't even know they were in Season.

But seriously I would look to the banks. There are still some short sales that are in your price range. Pick the area you want and contact a few of the big lenders.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 PM

567 posts, read 787,172 times
Tempe to Metro is insane.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 PM

446 posts, read 708,867 times
Glendale is very close to Metrocenter and you should be able to find houses in your price range.

Tempe is a very long drive to Metrocenter.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 PM

32 posts, read 189,137 times
I agree with fennec~ you should be able to find something in Phoenix ~ commuting into Phoenix seems to get worse all the time.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:25 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I agree that Tempe to Metrocenter is a nightmare. Others know the West side and downtown better than I, so I will leave it to them to advise you.

However, it does sound like you and your spouse are not totally in agreement about staying in the Phoenix area. If I am correct, I would advise that the single best thing you could do is continue to rent. Better financially AND for your marriage.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,168 times
You may want to check out Glendale closer to Metro Center - there are some nicer, older neighborhoods hidden away from the surface streets. They would be just a few minutes from Metro Center & I-17. I've driven this route several times in rush hour, it's not like LA but not exactly pleasant either if you don't like freeway traffic. It can also have unpredicted bottlenecks due to accidents. Google maps does a pretty good job of estimating times for your route during differing times of day. Also, almost every channel that does morning news gives traffic updates during rush hour so you can check your TV before leaving to see if you need to take a detour or leave early.

I suggest looking in both Glendale and Phoenix for your price range. I do think you will have better luck finding something you like in Glendale. It is highly recommended to visit the neighborhoods in which you are looking at different times of day, and doing "practise" commutes before buying. It is also a good idea to rent for at least half a year first - but unfortunately at this price range and with rising prices you may soon be priced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area