Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,978 times

Advertisements

Google is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
As Kimbellette explained, the churches, I believe the call them wards are spread out and limited in size. If one lives within a ward they have to attend that ward. That's why you see some many of them.

Wikipedia 2009 demographics show these religious statistics:

Quote:
Various religious denominations are represented in Gilbert, including
17.26% claiming to be Roman Catholic,
11.12% Protestant and
12.6% Mormon.[citation needed]

The town has been known for its high Mormon population, a fact evidenced by the LDS church's recent announcement to construct a temple in Gilbert.[17][18] Gilbert is also rated as a town of relatively low crime.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 PM

168 posts, read 457,123 times
It depends on the area of Gilbert you're talking about. In some parts of Gilbert, they're not on every other block, but it's pretty close. I'm not an expert, but I don't think they're quite as prevalent around the Val Vista Lakes area as they are in the SE portion of Gilbert. They're building the new LDS Temple on Pecos and Greenfield. If you drive south on Greenfield past the Temple, you'll pass one LDS church probably less then a mile from the Temple, then another LDS church probably a mile from that. And I can think of 2 others in a probably 5 mile radius (maybe a bit more) as well. If you consider that they stagger their services (I believe that, typically, families are assigned a time) and they offer multiple services on Sunday, that's a pretty high number of Mormons in that area, especially considering there isn't a huge number of houses near the churches. By that, I mean that it's not as densely populated as the Val Vista Lakes area. At least that's my impression. I haven't researched it. I would imagine the Temple will bring more Mormons to Gilbert, which would be awesome if they're buying houses

I've read that 12% stat, but my impression is that, depending on where you live, it feels like a lot more. Not saying that's good or bad. Just stating my impression. Go to the San Tan Costco and check out the book selection. You'll notice quite a bit more LDS-type books (about the church) then you'll see in other Costcos in PHX. Likewise with some other products they sell there. Costco does a ton of market research on what to stock in each individual store, and they won't offer things that won't sell in high numbers. Again, not saying it's good or bad. Just stating my impression.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:12 PM

267 posts, read 693,646 times
The east valley in general, including Gilbert, tends to be family friendly. I think it is very reasonable for someone who is considering moving to Gilbert from outside of the area to be curious about their prospective new neighbors' beliefs and characteristics, including religious beliefs and how they affect a community. Mesa was originally an LDS (Mormon) settlement, but even it is only about 25% LDS. As a historical note, there is such a thing as a Reformed Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, though you probably won't see too many of these. And there was a history of some LDS who opposed nineteenth-century reforms within the mainline LDS church, though this is mainly a phenomenon in the Arizona strip and some parts of northern Mexico. We are not LDS, but enjoy our Mormon neighbors. In part because Mormons attend church very strictly, it doesn't take a huge number of LDS families to support and fill a local church.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 PM

58 posts, read 113,750 times
We are hoping to eventually end up in Val Vista Lakes... should be in the next few months.
We are not your typical Jersey family... lol
Were friendly, outgoing and look to assimilate into our new neighborhood ... we mostly want our children to fit in and call it home

Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
Gilbert is really quiet and calm, friendly place from my experience, and I am not Mormon.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 AM

175 posts, read 492,292 times
They are also planning on building a new LDS in San Tan Valley right behind the Walmart on Hunt...

Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,422,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I feel like there are a lot of churches all over the Phoenix area, it does seem like there is one on every corner.
You should move to Texas!
There is a huge amount of LDS in Gilbert/Queen Creek area. I'm not LDS... I am a regular church attending... non-denominational Christian. My neighborhood is 80% mormon and I must say that I feel a little bit like an outsider here. LDS are friendly enough, but I feel "judged" when I just want to be friends and meet people.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
You should move to Texas!
There is a huge amount of LDS in Gilbert/Queen Creek area. I'm not LDS... I am a regular church attending... non-denominational Christian. My neighborhood is 80% mormon and I must say that I feel a little bit like an outsider here. LDS are friendly enough, but I feel "judged" when I just want to be friends and meet people.
What does moving to Texas have to do with this thread.

The official demographics don't bear out your "huge amount" statement, (there's the same amount or more people of other faiths) though your neighborhood percentage may well be high. You can have pleasant relationships with your neighbors. Relax and stop worrying about what they think. Trust me, they've all been around non-Mormons before. Or, find some other social outlets to make your closer friends. You will still have good neighbors.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,983,010 times
Gilbert is not all Mormon. There's a nice pentecostal church called Morning Star Apostolic Church on Higley and Guadalupe and there's other churches of various faiths in Gilbert. I read a statistic that Gilbert is some where in the ballpark of 20% Catholic. Then ofcourse you have people that aren't religious at all so you should see some diversity with your neighbors regardless where you live in Gilbert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area