Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,001,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime12 View Post
I just want to know if the manager is able to tell you that there is no grace period and you have to pay on the 1st of the month each month
They don't legally have to give you a grace period. They can label you as late after the first day, and start assessing late fees - whether or not they WILL depends on the management company. The policy will be described in your lease, and is explained in detail when you sign it - they normally have you initial next to their policy just to show you read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 10:45 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,698,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime12 View Post
I have this question I'm living in the apartment and my rent is 745 my manager said the rent is due on the 1st of each month he's also telling me that there is no grace period Has anybody ever heard of that
yes - you aren't entitled to a "grace period" in Arizona- the landlord can add late fees and move for eviction immediately after the rent is late. A landlord that's on his game can have you evicted in 15-18 days for nonpayment. Az is no joke when it comes to the collection of rents.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,275,729 times
Yes, I've heard of that too. As I recall, my last rental lease stated there was a late fee after the first. Also if you paid late one time, they would only accept cash or a cashier's check after that (this was from 1993-2004).

Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,617,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
They don't legally have to give you a grace period. They can label you as late after the first day, and start assessing late fees - whether or not they WILL depends on the management company. The policy will be described in your lease, and is explained in detail when you sign it - they normally have you initial next to their policy just to show you read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
yes - you aren't entitled to a "grace period" in Arizona- the landlord can add late fees and move for eviction immediately after the rent is late. A landlord that's on his game can have you evicted in 15-18 days for nonpayment. Az is no joke when it comes to the collection of rents.
So much has been written and said on this subject, but suffice it to say that so-called "grace periods" are not legally recognized in Arizona statutes. They may or may not actually be written into a lease, as they are basically at the discretion of the landlord. Late fees and other entanglements could definitely put a tenant at risk.

Simply put, in order to be safe and protected by your lease: PAY YOUR RENT ON TIME!

Old 06-04-2015, 09:20 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,756,715 times
The penalty seems stiff. We allow our tenants up to the 5th of the month to pay. Not everyone gets paid in time to make the first.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,698,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The penalty seems stiff. We allow our tenants up to the 5th of the month to pay. Not everyone gets paid in time to make the first.
+1

I've never charged a penalty for late payment (it's only happened a couple times & been a day or two late), but I wouldn't want to give someone who wasn't familiar with our laws the wrong impression. Many apartment complexes especially are quite bloodthirsty when it comes to late rent & the law backs them up.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:29 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,978,738 times
Dude, once you lease is up, get out of there. Film everything so they don't charge you for nick nacks that are non-existent. You are just a revenue stream to them, and they will take as much as they can. Go somewhere where you can rent and are viewed as a person as well as a revenue stream.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:14 PM

77 posts, read 74,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by af1123 View Post
When I talked to the office staff and told them unless they can show me the page and line that the $200 fee was on I'd take them to court. And that I wanted a receipt of exactly where the $200 was going. Of course they ended up taking off the fee saying they'll let it go. Thank you guys for all the input!! I'm glad that I posted otherwise I would have ended up paying.
What a bunch of crooks. Congrats! If you're not living from paychecks to paychecks, I'd suggest you get a checking account and set up automatic payments. Wasting $75 on late payment fee is not something you'd want to do. Plus, you save money on envelopes, checks, and stamps with automatic payments from bank. Save wherever you can!

Old 06-06-2015, 07:08 AM

13,795 posts, read 8,032,288 times
My PM hits up the tenants right away: $25 for the 1st day $5 a day after that. All of which he pockets.

Unfortunately, I`ve got a long term renter who is constantly late. The PM earns $85 a month x 12 or $1020 in management fees.

Last year the PM pulled in $1481 or $123 a month. An average of $85 in commission and $38 in late fees.

Last edited by john3232; 06-06-2015 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-06-2015, 07:33 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post

So, in essence, the due date for rent is the 5th each month. What happens if they don't have the money to pay you on the fifth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: