Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

Could be impetigo (a dirt born bacteria infection that resembles skeeter bites and slowly spreads over body as if being bitten) if you can't see them, or bed bugs, or scabies/chiggars. A friend of mine in the army long ago had scabies. The military doc thought it was chicken pox, but it didn't go away, she infected everyone around her. Tested it was scabies which is a mite thats under the skin, hence the welts. Your son could have picked them up from the airplane.
I'd go to the doc to make sure.

If it's impetigo a antibacterial soap and gel like Neosporin will help get rid of it. Wash the bedding and towels in hot water, etc. (this spreads from person to person)

If it's scabies you'll need a med. from the doc that you put on all over body, then wash off. (thinking this is it since it spread to you from your son)

With all of these things you have to wash/treat everything in the home as well so it doesn't return.

If it's round at all and growing larger could be ring worm, get a fungal med like Lotrimin cream. (spreads)

Good luck, there could be many things. We carry a lot of things is our dirt.

All these would explain why you can't see them but get the bites. You can't see any bug associated with what I've listed.

Last edited by PoppySead; 05-14-2015 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 01:20 PM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedtoo View Post
These biting, flying, invisible pests are awful. They wake me up at night in my own bed and then follow me around all day long crawling all over my skin. We are almost certain my son got them on an airplane trip a couple of months ago. The minute he sat down in his seat he could feel these things crawling on him. I work with him in his office and now I have them. I am desperate for help as nothing has deterred or killed them. I am sure they are not crawling insects as they are sensitive to wind and will not bother me if I can get good air flow. Plus, they go from one person to the other just being near somebody. We have tried peppermint, neem oil, lavender oil, baby oil, deet (100%), pine oil, ozone air purifiers, diametacious earth, borax, regular pest control, etc. Nothing has worked. while in the shower they bite your ankles so water does nothing. Just so we can get some sort of sleep at night we use bounce dryer sheets in all areas where they can get in under clothing.They fly in and out of our ears so..earplugs too. Has anyone seen any relief?????
I believe you're describing chiggers or possibly a type of mite similar to mange. Can you visibly see them? If they are a type of biting gnat they are laying eggs in the soil of a plant, on veggies, etc. You need to deep clean the entire house.

If its something like chiggers mite, the best thing I find that works (especially if they burrow under your skin...) is vaseline. Its best to kill them as soon as possible before they spread. Take a good shower and scrub the area well. Get out and then smear vaseline all over the area and put on long sleeves and socks and leave it alone for at least 24 hours. Lather rinse and repeat. Usually only takes two applications before they suffocate.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,655 times
These are NOT fleas...they are no-see-ums. We have seen them under a microscope. My son ordered a microscope that takes pictures. I have seen fleas. These flies are not visible to the naked eye. My son has been to the doctor.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,655 times
We have done a lot of research on these flies. Another name for them is biting midges. They bite and leave a dot that looks like a blood blister. They multiply in huge quantities. Normally they live outdoors but the weather here is not conducive to their existence. So...they have come inside to live in our temperature controlled houses. We have ordered a heater and we are going to try to heat the house up enough to kill them.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedtoo View Post
These biting, flying, invisible pests are awful. They wake me up at night in my own bed and then follow me around all day long crawling all over my skin. We are almost certain my son got them on an airplane trip a couple of months ago. The minute he sat down in his seat he could feel these things crawling on him. I work with him in his office and now I have them. I am desperate for help as nothing has deterred or killed them. I am sure they are not crawling insects as they are sensitive to wind and will not bother me if I can get good air flow. Plus, they go from one person to the other just being near somebody. We have tried peppermint, neem oil, lavender oil, baby oil, deet (100%), pine oil, ozone air purifiers, diametacious earth, borax, regular pest control, etc. Nothing has worked. while in the shower they bite your ankles so water does nothing. Just so we can get some sort of sleep at night we use bounce dryer sheets in all areas where they can get in under clothing.They fly in and out of our ears so..earplugs too. Has anyone seen any relief?????
Just wondering if you ever found a cure? same thing is happening to us for 2 years now.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
The issue seems to be coming from the air conditioning. I'm going to try "vent register covers." Can get them on amazon or home depot. The issue seems to be coming from the air conditioning. Would recommend changing them out every 3 or 4 months. The no-see-ums are small as dust and blowing in from the registers. This should catch most or all of them. I'll fasten by just loosing the hex screws that holds the grill then tucking them under the edges, then screwing back in. Tape might blow open and let them through. There shouldn't be much air flow decrease, but if there is, will lower the house temp. Not getting bit is worth it.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:33 AM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Whatever it is causing these red welts, it happens in frequent spurts to my wife, but me zero never since moving to AZ in March.

So, whatever is causing these reactions, it depends on your particular biology it would seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area