Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What month do you first turn on the heat?
November 20 19.23%
December 31 29.81%
January 11 10.58%
I don't use the heat at all 42 40.38%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
So you would be okay in the house if the inside temp was 62-ish? I am not, and my animals don't care for it either. Saying you don't need heat at all is just ridiculous, some people do. Some homes aren't as well insulated or for whatever other reason get cold when the season changes to winter. I am not going to bundle up inside my house when I can just use my furnace to bring the temp up to a comfortable level.

This whole thread is ridiculous. When I lived in the midwest, there were people who would wear shorts in 10 degree weather and claim they weren't cold. Absolute BS. People like that do it for attention because it makes them look "tough." Nothing wrong with admitting it's cold outside. We had a receptionist at my job wear flip flops in the snow claiming her feet weren't cold when you could see they were literally BLUE. (The manager finally told her she had to wear weather appropriate shoes, she looked ridiculous.) You never hear people claim they never need A/C in the summer like it's some sort of badge of honor.

Well, in Tucson there are still quite a few homes with evaporative cooling, so some people do feel comfortable without air conditioning. However, I don't understand the mentality about not needing heat, and I'd be willing to bet that in climates with similar average winter temperatures (for example Houston) that mentality does not exist and seems to be isolated to the Phoenix area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 01:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, in Tucson there are still quite a few homes with evaporative cooling, so some people do feel comfortable without air conditioning. However, I don't understand the mentality about not needing heat, and I'd be willing to bet that in climates with similar average winter temperatures (for example Houston) that mentality does not exist and seems to be isolated to the Phoenix area.
Air conditioning is an all inclusive term in this case meaning "cooling".

Old 12-14-2018, 05:34 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
I use heat but not often. This morning it was 62 inside so I turned it on. Most days I use it to take the chill out, comes on about 3 times, and then turn it off. I left in on for several hours this morning.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:10 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
I just did a poll in the Houston forum, and as I expected, almost nobody there has the mentality that heating is not required even though average temperatures are comparable. I wonder what is the reason for the difference in heating usage. However, here in the Phoenix area a large portion of homes have heat pumps while in Houston most have gas furnaces due to Houston's very low natural gas prices which could favor greater heating usage compared to Phoenix.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
I think alot of people like to pretend that since its the desert, you dont need heat on ever; and, I agree with the others, if that is how you really feel, there might be something wrong with your internal thermostat..

I lived decades in midwestern cities, went hunting/fishing/ice fishing, and spent tons of time outside when it was below zero, and I am not ashamed to admit we had the heat on here in Phoenix since late November..
Sure, its not "on" all the time, it only comes on obviously when the temps in the house drop below a certain level..

But, to think that you dont ever "need" to turn the heat on here from November through about February is just
hard to believe

Old 12-15-2018, 05:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
When I was at our cavernous AZ house a few weeks ago I'd be up very early and have the heat on for a few hours. Lots of floor-to-ceiling windows, plus those darned tile floors make everything frigid. I know that's a feature, not a bug, and I'm sure I'll appreciate it in summer.

I don't care for heating and try not to use it but sometimes I just gotta.

Yes, when I put tile in most of my house I discovered that it does make things a bit chillier in the winter (though it is great in the summer). I haven't turned the heat on yet (needs a part replaced) but I've used a little portable heater for short stints in the morning. When the heat gets fixed, it will be on for a couple of hours max in the morning, and in the evening too if we get a cold snap.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:48 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,477 times
Quote:
I just did a poll in the Houston forum, and as I expected, almost nobody there has the mentality that heating is not required even though average temperatures are comparable. I wonder what is the reason for the difference in heating usage. However, here in the Phoenix area a large portion of homes have heat pumps while in Houston most have gas furnaces due to Houston's very low natural gas prices which could favor greater heating usage compared to Phoenix.

Natural gas is pretty cheap out here as well.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:10 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
I'm a lucky one that has a gas furnace. When I replaced my HVAC system this year one company wanted to convert me to a heat pump. I did not go with that company. It's so cheap to heat my house.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:18 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
We put on the heat whenever we feel even the slightest amount of chill. So if the house gets to 68, I turn on the heat so it gets back to 72 to 74. So we had the neat on in mid November. If that costs me a few $$$'s, so be it. In this state, heating the house is cheap. Now when it gets to 100 degrees outside and the fact that I have rooms with 20 foot ceilings and three air conditioning units, I set the temp slightly higher that I prefer or around 78-79. Heat costs me as much as $100 a month in January for natural gas. The air and electric can cost >>$700/month if I cool it to 73. So I pick my battles. Our off peak air in northern MN (3900 square foot house) costs under $200 every month. So in MN and in the summer, I won't cool more than 75 degrees in the house. So it's a blend of economics in combination with comfort. IMO, heating a house in AZ 3-5 degrees makes sense.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:30 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Turned the heat on a few minutes ago. Utilities are included in my rent but I still use it sparingly. My feet have been cold these past few days. Thick socks on the cold tile don't help. I'll warm the place up before bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area