Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 PM

39 posts, read 85,345 times

Advertisements

My employer has a relationship with United Way (valley of the sun) so I normally check there when I am looking to help out/volunteer my time but I didn't see anything.

anyone have any good suggestions on volunteering this year for Thanksgiving?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,195 times
Do you mean serving meals on Thanksgiving, specifically, or donating, etc.? The Salvation Army is always overwhelmed with volunteers for Thanksgiving - it's a wildly popular charity activity. You might check with Phoenix Rescue Mission, Andre House, etc.

Here are some other ideas: Where to Volunteer in Phoenix for Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays

Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
The Salvation Army is in fact an Evangelical church. Just realize what you're getting into before deciding to give them your time.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The Salvation Army is in fact an Evangelical church. Just realize what you're getting into before deciding to give them your time.
While that is technically accurate, I can tell you that I worked at a divisional headquarters for 3.5 years as a half-Jewish, totally agnostic, sexually active single woman. Not once was I approached by anything or anyone that I would classify as proselytizing. I was invited to join in the weekly church services, but never looked down on or hassled when I respectfully demured. I attended lunches and meetings that began and sometimes ended with a Christian oriented prayer, but I never did anything but sit quietly while others bowed their heads. And (with the single exception of one person) I was treated with more respect and kindness at that job than any other position I held before or since.

As the accounting manager, I had signing privileges over a checking account that regularly showed a balance of millions. I can assure you that those folks know how to make every penny count and watch it carefully.

I'm still a half-Jewish, fully agnostic woman. And I still donate money to The Salvation Army (as well as other organizations).

Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM

147 posts, read 327,650 times
I volunteered for the Salvation Army for their dinner a couple of years ago. Though they do great work, the place was overflowing with volunteers and they did not seem very well organized. Many volunteers were just standing around waiting for something to do, or someone to let them know what needed to be done. Just my experience.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
While that is technically accurate, I can tell you that I worked at a divisional headquarters for 3.5 years as a half-Jewish, totally agnostic, sexually active single woman. Not once was I approached by anything or anyone that I would classify as proselytizing. I was invited to join in the weekly church services, but never looked down on or hassled when I respectfully demured. I attended lunches and meetings that began and sometimes ended with a Christian oriented prayer, but I never did anything but sit quietly while others bowed their heads. And (with the single exception of one person) I was treated with more respect and kindness at that job than any other position I held before or since.

As the accounting manager, I had signing privileges over a checking account that regularly showed a balance of millions. I can assure you that those folks know how to make every penny count and watch it carefully.

I'm still a half-Jewish, fully agnostic woman. And I still donate money to The Salvation Army (as well as other organizations).
That's good. I just don't care for the fact that they pick and choose who they are willing to help based on "biblical values". I've seen numerous sources describe their unwillingness to provide assistance to gay people. Not everyone knows what the Salvation Army is all about and thought a heads up would be in order.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,879 times
You know, apart from serving meals and such, it would be a very nice time to visit people stuck in VA hospitals.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That's good. I just don't care for the fact that they pick and choose who they are willing to help based on "biblical values". I've seen numerous sources describe their unwillingness to provide assistance to gay people. Not everyone knows what the Salvation Army is all about and thought a heads up would be in order.
I have NEVER seen that personally. In fact, TSA was started a FREE HIV/AIDS clinic in Los Angeles (I personally know the officer who was an RN who started the project in the very early 90's). And at the headquarters where I worked in the early 1990's, we had one employee who was gay. (Though I admit, the benefit program did not extended to unmarried partners whether they were married or not.)

Truthfully, I experienced WAY more prejudice when I interviewed for jobs at Black Children and Family Services and Catholic Charities. (And don't get me started on Goodwill - that's a whole 'nother set of issues.)

Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
You know, apart from serving meals and such, it would be a very nice time to visit people stuck in VA hospitals.
Excellent suggestion! Another similar idea is to spend some time visiting at a convalescent home. There are so many elderly people without family or friends, who are simply warehoused. It would truly brighten their lives to have visitors, even for a brief time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area